Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2013, 08:22 PM   #5461
Bighouse
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy83 View Post
Best dual sports.com - http://bestdualsportbikes.com/crf-250-l-products/ sells there own programmer, they also stated that no matter what programmer you buy for the crf is still the EJK "no matter what brand is on it". They claim there programmer is a EJK but they worked with them and the dyno to fine tune there own settings to get the most out of the bike and still keep mpg reasonably. I don't know if this is bs or what, just a thought...

-ry
Yes it is total BS! Same settings..

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 2
Bighouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:25 AM   #5462
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
[QUOTE=Secondcreekrider;21907731]Little by little adding to the moto to make it ready for adventure riding.

Latest addition Fastrax Elite Series Tail Bag

Looks like the Dowco is more bang for the $ than Wolfman. Did it just strap under the rack?

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:03 AM   #5463
JGPAGE2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
New to adv and Trying out bikeracks tail rack

Hello yall. wanted to say thank you to every one in this forum all of your posts have been crucial to helping me decide to purchase my brand new 2014 crfl. i have in the last 2 weeks ridden 1500 miles on it and very much enjoying it. i live in central texas where the speed limit on the roads can get to 85 mph (i haven't had to ride that stretch yet) but my normal commute (60 mile R/T) is painless and comfy as this bike will do those speeds in most cases very comfortably. i am new to off road riding and am still building my confidence in rough terrain and sandy conditions. my previous bikes have been street bikes with the acceptation of a 73 KE175.

now a couple of questions.

UHas any one had any experience with the bikeracks brand I have tried to search the forum but have not been able to find any thing of significance. I have ordered one and will see how it works out.
And I was thinking of replacing my tires with some Kendall brand tires that are rated 50/50. As I am quickly burning through the factory originals. Any suggestions? I am not a fan of the tires that look like street tires (only concerned with the off road traction there) again any suggestions are appreciated and thank again for all the helpful information.

Oh one other question what happens if you do not adjust the valves?
:
Old 07-20-2013, 10:17 AM   #5464
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGPAGE2 View Post
Hello yall. wanted to say thank you to every one in this forum all of your posts have been crucial to helping me decide to purchase my brand new 2014 crfl. i have in the last 2 weeks ridden 1500 miles on it and very much enjoying it. i live in central texas where the speed limit on the roads can get to 85 mph (i haven't had to ride that stretch yet) but my normal commute (60 mile R/T) is painless and comfy as this bike will do those speeds in most cases very comfortably. i am new to off road riding and am still building my confidence in rough terrain and sandy conditions. my previous bikes have been street bikes with the acceptation of a 73 KE175.

UHas any one had any experience with the bikeracks brand I have tried to search the forum but have not been able to find any thing of significance. I have ordered one and will see how it works out.
And I was thinking of replacing my tires with some Kendall brand tires that are rated 50/50. As I am quickly burning through the factory originals. Any suggestions? I am not a fan of the tires that look like street tires (only concerned with the off road traction there) again any suggestions are appreciated and thank again for all the helpful information.

:
I opted to wear out the rear first, I hate taking off a good tire. I went with a D606, but I would suggest asking around your local area, as they have a better idea of what works on your terrain.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:52 AM   #5465
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,326
Quote:

:
On your valves, you can burn a valve as clearance goes away and the valve is help open longer, but usually the bike quits starting...or at least starting less easily due to loss of necessary starting compression.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:58 AM   #5466
JGPAGE2
Adventurer

Cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
I opted to wear out the rear first, I hate taking off a good tire. I went with a D606, but I would suggest asking around your local area, as they have a better idea of what works on your terrain.
Thank you for the sugestion. I checked into the dun lops but the don't ofer anything in the factory size. My major concern is buying a tire that will work well and not change the ride carictoristics and speedometer maybe more than 3%. One big issue is that Honda has used 2 different tire sizes front and rear ( witch is normal for bikes i know) with different size designation. Grrr. Makes it tricky to find a matching set of tires that meet the original equipment specs. Using that size adds almost 1" to the over all size for an increase of 3.7%. What I need is a calculator that will convert between the 2 sizing systems. I suspect changing the front tire size is not as critical for the speedo.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:00 AM   #5467
JGPAGE2
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
On your valves, you can burn a valve as clearance goes away and the valve is help open longer, but usually the bike quits starting...or at least starting less easily due to loss of necessary starting compression.
I see but will not cause any real damage?
Old 07-20-2013, 11:17 AM   #5468
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Burning a valve IS real damage. Preventative maintenance is WAY less money than fixing after it's trashed. My first service (oil/filter/valve check) at the dealer was $198 @ 600 miles. They only said valves were "in spec". There's a tutorial do it yourself on it here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...89&postcount=4

Old 07-20-2013, 12:23 PM   #5469
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,502
Quote:
Burning a valve is a pretty big issue. Pull the head, take it to a machine shop, install new valves, reinstall head. Looking at probably over $1000.

Thats assuming a valve doesn't overheat and break, I'm which case you would be buying, at the minimum, piston, cylinder, head, and all the stuff that goes with it. I have an xr250 parts bike in the garage that the po didn't check valves, junked the whole top of the motor.

So, pick one:

1. Check valves. 2 hours, max of $20 ish if you need new shims.

2. Burn valve. Bike down for a week, $1000 repair.

3. Break valve. Bike down for a week, $2000 repair.

I'll take option 1 every time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:27 PM   #5470
Wargasm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Thank you for the sugestion. I checked into the dun lops but the don't ofer anything in the factory size. My major concern is buying a tire that will work well and not change the ride carictoristics and speedometer maybe more than 3%. One big issue is that Honda has used 2 different tire sizes front and rear ( witch is normal for bikes i know) with different size designation. Grrr. Makes it tricky to find a matching set of tires that meet the original equipment specs. Using that size adds almost 1" to the over all size for an increase of 3.7%. What I need is a calculator that will convert between the 2 sizing systems. I suspect changing the front tire size is not as critical for the speedo.
I put a D606 on the back of mine, and while it's true there's no exact size match you can go up or down a bit in aspect ratio with no detrimental effects. I put a 120/90-18 on mine, the only effects I noticed were better grip both on and off road, ordered it from REvzilla.com and got free shipping too. Little over $100CAD
Wargasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:50 PM   #5471
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,466
Quote:
What I need is a calculator that will convert between the 2 sizing systems.
siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:27 PM   #5472
Wargasm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
I suspect changing the front tire size is not as critical for the speedo.
You're right, changing the front size has no affect on speedo readings. A 3% difference between displayed speed and actual speedis small enough to not eally concern your self with, at 65mph your looking at the speedo being out by about 2mph, which if you really dug deep would probably be less than the tolerances in the unit itself.
Wargasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:37 AM   #5473
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,885
1st 600 Mile Service

You fellas who have had this done or did it yourself, has anyone actually found any valves out of spec this soon ?

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:20 AM   #5474
ivel_86
Oops

Oddometer: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
You fellas who have had this done or did it yourself, has anyone actually found any valves out of spec this soon ?
I have the same concern because I break mine in very hard. I think I am just going to bite the bullet and have the valves checked the first time and do it myself the rest.
OEF 12
ivel_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:23 AM   #5475
Auto-X Fil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Mine were in-spec. I did it myself, without removing the tank. Small hands help.
Auto-X Fil is offline   Reply With Quote