Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2013, 08:11 AM   #5566
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
I like to adjust with me and all my junk on board,if I cant reach down while I'm sitting on the seat I use a coat hanger to pull on the chain to make sure its loose enough,better to loose than to tight.
Nice trick...gotta go do that
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:14 AM   #5567
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
Would be decent if you wanted D606's
They do this every now and then. When I got one in the spring, the discount put me below the free shipping number, and they charged me. Sent off and email to CS, and they fixed it. Then others posted they wouldn't. I didn't even need a tire at the time, but figured when I did need one, no sale. Yeah I went with the D606 120/90-18. The front has a lot left in it, not sure what I'll go with when the time comes.

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:36 AM   #5568
The_Precious_Juice
Green Horn

Oddometer: 963
2013 DR200se vs CRF250L {stock/brand new} adv touring

I've given up on finding a 400lb Dual Sport to replace my car as my primary vehicle. I just can't find the right bike. Honda came close with the engine of the NC700X, but are going the wrong way with the 2014's that have 50 more cc.

I'd like to do an eduro this Winter
The trip would be for several months (4-8). My dream car for the journey would be a used 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek. 148 HP, good fuel economy for the AWD.
A lot of hipsters bought the car brand new and seem to be disapointed in the lack of power, and the loud engine noise. Both of which I'm cool with seeing the purpose I have for her. If I can't find one for a good price, I'll get a MC. Note, the winter trip would start two months earlier on a car.

The trek would start in VA, and go into the Deep South, then hug the Gulf Coast, and then cross the C. Divide (in New Mexico), hit the Cali coast and into N.W. Washington. From here, I'd take a ferry to Skagway/Haines Alaska, and then back down to Juneua, then west to either Homer or Whittier. The temps will easily get into the teens and be mostly in the upper 20s in Alaska, even by April.
As the summer approaches, I'll ride The Dalton.
Afterwards, I'll see where I'm at and ride back east taking a Northern route.

I orginally wanted my primary DS MC to have a less is more type of ethos. Less Skynet Technology and Gremlins to go wrong.

However, I'm thinking the Honda 250 would be better for the type of trek I have planned. Sure, the Gremlins are there with the FI, and computer display, and much more, but I'd have a warrenty for such matters. If I'm having problems with the bike, and can sale her after the journey, if the bike is great, I can keep her for a communter.

Now for the brief comparison.
DR's pros:
The 200se allows a much better range. I'll say the miliage is about the same on gas, but the extra 1.4 gallon tank puts the DR beyond Thunder Dome.
I plan on purchasing two, 2 gallon rotopax tanks for the journey (they would be set up on the foot pegs. This would have the bikes well over the 500 mile range.

Moving around with engine off: Lighter: 278lbs weight vs 230lbs wet. Keep in mind, this is not even adjusting for gas. Furthermore, seat height is 31.9."

Parts: More avaliable. Granted she was gone for two years.

Better online support. Honda just came out.

Way less Gremlins to trouble shot.

Display: Tachomoter is present.

seat and rear area looks bigger and flatter to store gear.

__
Honda Pros:

1. 50 extra cc, give her that extra 10mph the DR needs for high way riding. Note, Innterstates should be still avoided.

2. After the initial 600 mile oil change, I'm good for 8,000 miles. ( I read this on this thread. this seems too good to be true.)
I'm really interested in low maintenance.

3. 6th gear for crusing on America's highways.

4. FI for those cold morning starts. Granted, most of the temps will be well above 0 degrees C.

5. 34.7" Seat gives commanding views while on the go.

6. Seat is more comfortable.

7. Heavier weight provides better stablity in windy weather.

8. DOHC for smoother rides at higher RPMs.

9. Better ergos.

__
I was shocked at the price of the Honda, I figured it would be $2,000 more for such a new bike. __

$4,199 vs $4,699.

I know, you'all are biased, what brand new bike would you recommend for someone not mechanically inclined and riding alone?

Thanks for reading.
The_Precious_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:43 AM   #5569
Auto-X Fil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Your fear of technology is unfounded. EFI is old tech these days, and is significantly more reliable than carbs. The Honda is a great choice for worry-free miles.
Auto-X Fil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:04 AM   #5570
joec63 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Juice,

Personally I wouldn't make the trip on either one but you sound motivated and it's really all you need. As far as these two you're considering, hands down the Honda. Parts shouldn't be an issue since it shares powertrains ,for the most part, with the CBR250. The only advice I can offer is to source a better seat for whichever one you decide.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:24 AM   #5571
Vspec
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto-X Fil View Post
Your fear of technology is unfounded. EFI is old tech these days, and is significantly more reliable than carbs. The Honda is a great choice for worry-free miles.
+1

DRZ fall on it's side - Owner "I'll just take a second to crank 'cause it's flooded"

CRF'L fall on it's side - Me, cycle ignition, hit starter
Vspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:32 AM   #5572
Kray
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
Juice,

I daily commute on my CRF250L -14 miles each way. With a few driveway mods it's a very capable touring bike. Off the showroom floor it struggled at speeds above 60mph but after changing just a few things, and breaking the motor in, the bike is brilliant. I highly recommend this bike to anyone who doesn't need 50hp. With a simple EJK programmer you can almost reach 30hp on this motor which gives you plenty of power for pulling on the interstate or romping through the woods. Many regear down to a 13 tooth but I personally dont understand why. I guess it feels more like a woods bike but I didn't buy it for that. Hope you find what you're looking for! Cheers

Kray screwed with this post 07-29-2013 at 11:40 AM
Kray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:44 AM   #5573
philosobrad
problem_solvent

Oddometer: 153
Smitten

Old 07-29-2013, 12:09 PM   #5574
philosobrad
problem_solvent

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Precious_Juice View Post
I've given up on finding a 400lb Dual Sport to replace my car as my primary vehicle. I just can't find the right bike. Honda came close with the engine of the NC700X, but are going the wrong way with the 2014's that have 50 more cc.

I commute daily on mine, and extended rides on the weekends, to include interstate. With the 13tooth, EJK, and pipe, it easily soaks up 70-75mph cruising. I bought a cheap ATV seat pad at WalMart to cover the stock seat for 18 bucks, and it works well.

This bike has caused me to re-evaluate my garage. Watch for a 640 Adventure and an SV650 to be on the market soon.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:43 PM   #5575
kiwi5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by philosobrad View Post
I commute daily on mine, and extended rides on the weekends, to include interstate. With the 13tooth, EJK, and pipe, it easily soaks up 70-75mph cruising. I bought a cheap ATV seat pad at WalMart to cover the stock seat for 18 bucks, and it works well.

This bike has caused me to re-evaluate my garage. Watch for a 640 Adventure and an SV650 to be on the market soon.

The ATV seat pad sounds like a step up from my sheepskin (I live in New Zealand so the sheepskin is standard issue )- any chance of a photo of the ATV seat cover? How much did it cost??
kiwi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:45 PM   #5576
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Precious_Juice View Post

I know, you'all are biased, what brand new bike would you recommend for someone not mechanically inclined and riding alone?

Thanks for reading.
Doing that trip on dual sport would be great as long as you know what you are getting into. Not sure you have had bikes. A car with a heater is sure tough to beat, but the bike could probably go places a 4X4 would be tested by. The money you save by not getting the car would pay for all the right gear. Being in weather can be not so much fun, even WITH the right gear. I agree with AutoX-Fil about the EFI, it's a non issue. Either way, have a great trip, I'm jealous. BTW ferry fare is way less $ with a bike, as is gas used, and maintenance, ect...........

edit: DR200se puts out 150 watts. CRF250L puts out 337 watts. Something to consider if you are going with heated gloves/gear/grips.

SAPB screwed with this post 07-29-2013 at 01:27 PM
Old 07-29-2013, 12:46 PM   #5577
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi5 View Post
The ATV seat pad sounds like a step up from my sheepskin (I live in New Zealand so the sheepskin is standard issue )- any chance of a photo of the ATV seat cover? How much did it cost??
This one?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-AT...ector/16777864

Old 07-29-2013, 01:41 PM   #5578
kiwi5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
looks good- I wonder if they ship to NZ......I'm loathe to give up me sheepskin but it is getting pretty ratty....
kiwi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:50 PM   #5579
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi5 View Post
looks good- I wonder if they ship to NZ......I'm loathe to give up me sheepskin but it is getting pretty ratty....
It may be better to search Coleman, not knowing what the situation is where you are. I don't have one..........yet. Going to try to get one tomorrow. If you want, I can bring it to the local post office, have them weigh it, and ask the various prices/time frames to ship to NZ, then let you know.

edit: probably need to know your postal code for accurate pricing. If you don't want to post it PM me.

SAPB screwed with this post 07-29-2013 at 02:10 PM
Old 07-29-2013, 03:02 PM   #5580
EEKAMOUSE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
Anybody getting ready to get a new tire(s), 40% off Dunlop, 31% off Metzler. Plus 5% off of that, using those codes. Expires 7/31 11:59. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...vid=1160297728
Looked good untill I noticed prices are the same as usual they just made up their original prices such a scam
EEKAMOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote