User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2013, 04:21 PM   #5581
The_Precious_Juice
Two pump chump

Oddometer: 1,092
Thanks for the feedback!

yeah, you guys are right, I have limited experience. And zero DS experiance.
I forgot to put down my stats
5'-8"
163lbs.

I looked into the EJK programmer. Very interesting.

__
What actually lead me back to the 250L was the DRZ400. I thought I'd look into her because the displacement/weight/HP was golden. Like I typed, I could go with the high tech stuff for its warrenty life.

I could forgive the high seat, 2.8 gallon tank, bad seat, no 6th gear, and no hand gaurds, but I was shocked that the fuel economy is so low for a FI engine. 50s!

So I thought about other options that were similar. I remembered the 250L had a 6th gear, so I looked into her.

I was at a local MC dealership a couple of weeks ago and asked the salesman what was selling good. Typically, they say, everything. You know, to take away any leverage you're looking for in buying a bike, but this guy said for a while the 250L was donig real well, and that they had just got their stock back up.

__
I'm over the small tank size thing.
You know, how some riders are like that with HP. For me it was more Tank size, meant a better DS. However, with just 1, 2 gallon rotopax, the total is 4 gallons for a 280 mile range.

I'll need a rear rack, and hand guards for sure, but other than that, I should be good. I plan on useing my sleeping bag and tarp for a more comfortable seat while on longer rides. If that does not work during the break in and trouble shotting phase I'll go with the ATV package.

Thanks again.

The_Precious_Juice screwed with this post 07-29-2013 at 04:35 PM
The_Precious_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:36 PM   #5582
dalehazelton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
How did you get the Coleman/Walmart pad on your bike? I tried and the plastic clips don't fit UNDER the seat and don't really work on the sides.
dalehazelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:22 PM   #5583
Kray
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
Juice,

IMS sells a 3.1 gallon fuel tank upgrade here.
Seat Concepts makes a comfy seat replacement that doesn't raise the bike's seat height at all here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Precious_Juice View Post
yeah, you guys are right, I have limited experience. And zero DS experiance.
I forgot to put down my stats
5'-8"
163lbs.

I looked into the EJK programmer. Very interesting.

__
What actually lead me back to the 250L was the DRZ400. I thought I'd look into her because the displacement/weight/HP was golden. Like I typed, I could go with the high tech stuff for its warrenty life.

I could forgive the high seat, 2.8 gallon tank, bad seat, no 6th gear, and no hand gaurds, but I was shocked that the fuel economy is so low for a FI engine. 50s!

So I thought about other options that were similar. I remembered the 250L had a 6th gear, so I looked into her.

I was at a local MC dealership a couple of weeks ago and asked the salesman what was selling good. Typically, they say, everything. You know, to take away any leverage you're looking for in buying a bike, but this guy said for a while the 250L was donig real well, and that they had just got their stock back up.

__
I'm over the small tank size thing.
You know, how some riders are like that with HP. For me it was more Tank size, meant a better DS. However, with just 1, 2 gallon rotopax, the total is 4 gallons for a 280 mile range.

I'll need a rear rack, and hand guards for sure, but other than that, I should be good. I plan on useing my sleeping bag and tarp for a more comfortable seat while on longer rides. If that does not work during the break in and trouble shotting phase I'll go with the ATV package.

Thanks again.
Kray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:24 PM   #5584
Wargasm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kray View Post
Juice,

IMS sells a 3.1 gallon fuel tank upgrade [/URL].
The better part of $300 for an increase of only 1 gallon, and it's pre-order so you could get it in a week or ten years. not much of a good deal.
Wargasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:38 PM   #5585
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,472
Speaking of seats and Wally World pads, I just did 1069 miles in three days on a Seat Concepts low version on my CRF.
No pad
No sheepskin
No butt burn
No numb ass

love that seat it fits me like a glove
siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:00 PM   #5586
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,472
Just finished packing the back end of a Toyota Tacoma for an 18 day wander in Colorado

At sun up, gonna hook a trailer behind it and throw a bike on the trailer and head west
I will let you guys figure out which bike I am taking

*hint* I gonna ride a ton of dirt
siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:32 AM   #5587
Woody2627
Skinny Decaf Latte Thanks

Oddometer: 818
Quote:
Juice,

IMS sells a 3.1 gallon fuel tank upgrade here.
Seat Concepts makes a comfy seat replacement that doesn't raise the bike's seat height at all here.
That has been on pre-order for 6 months, but no sign of an actual tank..:
Woody2627 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:14 AM   #5588
Woody2627
Skinny Decaf Latte Thanks

Oddometer: 818
Quote:
Juice,

I daily commute on my CRF250L -14 miles each way. With a few driveway mods it's a very capable touring bike. Off the showroom floor it struggled at speeds above 60mph but after changing just a few things, and breaking the motor in, the bike is brilliant. I highly recommend this bike to anyone who doesn't need 50hp. With a simple EJK programmer you can almost reach 30hp on this motor which gives you plenty of power for pulling on the interstate or romping through the woods. Many regear down to a 13 tooth but I personally dont understand why. I guess it feels more like a woods bike but I didn't buy it for that. Hope you find what you're looking for! Cheers
If you tried it you would understand why. This little critter is way overgeared so they get good fuel consumption (coz they put such a tiny tank on it). A 13t sprocket puts the gearing where it should be, and its cheap as chips. Improved mine out of sight.
Woody2627 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:24 AM   #5589
Auto-X Fil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
If you weigh 125lb and stick to flat tarmac at low elevation (say, Florida), the stock gearing works well. Otherwise, a 13t is pretty much required. I'm only 150lb and run the CRF at high speeds (75mph), but won't go back to the 14/40.
Auto-X Fil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:36 AM   #5590
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto-X Fil View Post
If you weigh 125lb and stick to flat tarmac at low elevation (say, Florida), the stock gearing works well. Otherwise, a 13t is pretty much required. I'm only 150lb and run the CRF at high speeds (75mph), but won't go back to the 14/40.
Way less slipping the clutch getting started in 1st with the 13t. I'm sold.

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:41 AM   #5591
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody2627 View Post
If you tried it you would understand why. This little critter is way overgeared so they get good fuel consumption (coz they put such a tiny tank on it). A 13t sprocket puts the gearing where it should be, and its cheap as chips. Improved mine out of sight.
Another reason for the gearing is noise. Many countries, like Switzerland and Austria use a "drive-by" noise standard, where the motorcycle goes thru a set of microphones, then must go to wide open throttle. The pass/fail at one time was 78 dB. That's an extremely quiet standard. The US test process/standard is very different.
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:05 AM   #5592
The_Precious_Juice
Two pump chump

Oddometer: 1,092
Thanks for the feedback on the tank

I feel like this bike fits into my "must" bullets for an adventure touring vehicle.

1. Great gas miliage

2. Reliable engine

3. Low cost on maintenance, and low mainenance, and easy parts to find.

4. Less than 400lb bike with enough fuel on board to go 300 miles.
>>>>>Note: @ 75mpg the 250L would need 2 more gallons on board to go 300 miles. When you factor in fuel weight and the container to hold it, the total weight is 335lbs. So 65lbs under weight!

5. Reliable Start-ups

6. 21" Tire. I do not plan on shredding the dirt, but would like the control that comes with the tire size.

7. Adequate highway speeds around 60mph with good fuel economy still there, and no "buzzing."

As you can see, this narrows it down to only about four Bikes.
1. The Mighty DR (fuel economy is not where I need her to be).
2. the little dr (top speed is not where I need her to be.)
3. CRF250L (achieves all catagories).
4. DRZ400. (fuel economy is not where I need her to be.)

___
Pleasant surprises with the 250L:

1. $4,499. That's just $300 more than the little dr!

2. 6th gear. This is the first thumper I've researched with a 6th gear. Clearly this allows the 74mpg. Damn near every bike I looked at, folk have talked about the bike needed a 6th gear. I guess Honda got the message.
It's interesting how the bike looks like it is well over 50% dirt, but the 6th gear swings the bike in the other direction.
the 50hp 2011+ BMW G650GS only has 5 gears.

3. Good ergos. Sure, the seat needs work, but what bike seat doesn't.

4. Bash Plate. For the light trail riding I'll do, this will provide more than enough protection.

5. CBR250 engine. More parts are avaliable, and it has more miles and research on her.

6. such low maintenance! 8,000 miles is the next service after the 600 mile first service. Can't be right.

7. 43mm Fork inverted fork. This is a little bit of an over kill for the dirt riding I intend to do. But, yeah, its there, and maybe I can grow into it. I'm shocked that the 400lbs+ 650 do not have this.
Also, the adjustable suspension is a pleasent surprise, with 8.7" Front/ 9.4" rear.

8. 10" ground clearence.

9. commanding view with the 34.7" seat height. this height is damn near perfect for my less than 6 foot frame.

10. This bike could easily go to any access point on the TAT and provide a great ride.

11. I've had little reason to research what DOHC added to a bike engine, but I have, and like how it allows the 24hp engine to run smoother at higher rpms.

12. Really quite muffler!

13. Engine couter balancer. Very interesting.

___
Annoyances.
1. 2.0 gallon tank. I get why Honda just did 2. That's a 100-200 mile range. It's not built to be a touring bike, so breaks will be plentiful. I also look at it this way, when I drop my "ruck" and go slick, the tank will be perfect.
2. no hand guards
3. slim rear seat area (light cargo storage).

These are all forgivable.
__

The_Precious_Juice screwed with this post 07-30-2013 at 09:18 AM
The_Precious_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:16 AM   #5593
Kray
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody2627 View Post
I'm 95% road (I daily commute mine) so need that overgearing to save my poor little wallet/motor.
Kray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:35 AM   #5594
philosobrad
problem_solvent

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi5 View Post
looks good- I wonder if they ship to NZ......I'm loathe to give up me sheepskin but it is getting pretty ratty....
I'm open to grabbing one and shipping it to you for actual cost. Will send a pic later.l
Old 07-30-2013, 09:37 AM   #5595
philosobrad
problem_solvent

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalehazelton View Post
How did you get the Coleman/Walmart pad on your bike? I tried and the plastic clips don't fit UNDER the seat and don't really work on the sides.

All the buckles and straps are under the seat. I flipped it around backward, I.E. back is now the front, and some coaxing and cursing. It's now on, AND I've had the seat unbolted, and bolted back on twice since with no issue.

It's aggravating for a bit, but doable. I'll try and post a pic later. I love the damned thing for ~20$