Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2013, 09:43 AM   #5596
philosobrad
problem_solvent

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Precious_Juice View Post
I feel like this bike fits into my "must" bullets for an adventure touring vehicle.

1. Great gas miliage

2. Reliable engine

3. Low cost on maintenance, and low mainenance, and easy parts to find.

4. Less than 400lb bike with enough fuel on board to go 300 miles.
>>>>>Note: @ 75mpg the 250L would need 2 more gallons on board to go 300 miles. When you factor in fuel weight and the container to hold it, the total weight is 335lbs. So 65lbs under weight!

5. Reliable Start-ups

6. 21" Tire. I do not plan on shredding the dirt, but would like the control that comes with the tire size.

7. Adequate highway speeds around 60mph with good fuel economy still there, and no "buzzing."

As you can see, this narrows it down to only about four Bikes.
1. The Mighty DR (fuel economy is not where I need her to be).
2. the little dr (top speed is not where I need her to be.)
3. CRF250L (achieves all catagories).
4. DRZ400. (fuel economy is not where I need her to be.)

___
Pleasant surprises with the 250L:

1. $4,499. That's just $300 more than the little dr!

2. 6th gear. This is the first thumper I've researched with a 6th gear. Clearly this allows the 74mpg. Damn near every bike I looked at, folk have talked about the bike needed a 6th gear. I guess Honda got the message.
It's interesting how the bike looks like it is well over 50% dirt, but the 6th gear swings the bike in the other direction.
the 50hp 2011+ BMW G650GS only has 5 gears.

3. Good ergos. Sure, the seat needs work, but what bike seat doesn't.

4. Bash Plate. For the light trail riding I'll do, this will provide more than enough protection.

5. CBR250 engine. More parts are avaliable, and it has more miles and research on her.

6. such low maintenance! 8,000 miles is the next service after the 600 mile first service. Can't be right.

7. 43mm Fork inverted fork. This is a little bit of an over kill for the dirt riding I intend to do. But, yeah, its there, and maybe I can grow into it. I'm shocked that the 400lbs+ 650 do not have this.
Also, the adjustable suspension is a pleasent surprise, with 8.7" Front/ 9.4" rear.

8. 10" ground clearence.

9. commanding view with the 34.7" seat height. this height is damn near perfect for my less than 6 foot frame.

10. This bike could easily go to any access point on the TAT and provide a great ride.

11. I've had little reason to research what DOHC added to a bike engine, but I have, and like how it allows the 24hp engine to run smoother at higher rpms.

12. Really quite muffler!

13. Engine couter balancer. Very interesting.

___
Annoyances.
1. 2.0 gallon tank. I get why Honda just did 2. That's a 100-200 mile range. It's not built to be a touring bike, so breaks will be plentiful. I also look at it this way, when I drop my "ruck" and go slick, the tank will be perfect.
2. no hand guards
3. slim rear seat area (light cargo storage).

These are all forgivable.
__
The suspension gets a bit limited on gnarly single track.......there's a fix for it via Racetech, as I'm sure you're aware.

It's gone EVERYWHERE my orange machines have gone....period. It argued a bit more, but did it without much drama.

I can't express how much I love this bike.

I'm an overweight 40 year old that rides rocky, nasty single track most weekends, commute exclusively by moto every day. And track days once a month. My past "enduros" have been high end, with catalogs of parts thrown at 'em. KTM to BMW to Husqvarna........none give me the simple satisfaction of this little rig. I'm transported back to 1979 flying down field rows on the Mississippi delta aboard a Trail 70 everytime I mash the start button. It's that good, mentally. And that, to me, makes up for anything she may lack everywhere else.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:57 AM   #5597
The_Precious_Juice
Green Horn

Oddometer: 955
Thumb Great feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by philosobrad View Post
The suspension gets a bit limited on gnarly single track.......there's a fix for it via Racetech, as I'm sure you're aware.

It's gone EVERYWHERE my orange machines have gone....period. It argued a bit more, but did it without much drama.

I can't express how much I love this bike.

I'm an overweight 40 year old that rides rocky, nasty single track most weekends, commute exclusively by moto every day. And track days once a month. My past "enduros" have been high end, with catalogs of parts thrown at 'em. KTM to BMW to Husqvarna........none give me the simple satisfaction of this little rig. I'm transported back to 1979 flying down field rows on the Mississippi delta aboard a Trail 70 everytime I mash the start button. It's that good, mentally. And that, to me, makes up for anything she may lack everywhere else.

Great post!
The_Precious_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:26 AM   #5598
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,304
Fastrax

I just put my Dowco Fastrax on, after seeing how good it looked on Secondcreekrider's bike. I considered one of the Wolfman ones, as I have a tankbag already from them. but the price was right, and free shipping. I had a knock-off Givi on there, but with the case off, all these nubs stick up and catch you all the time. And I had it off most of the time. I did have to take the Manrack off to get the knock-off removed, but don't think it would be necessary to remove the rack to get the Fastrax on. http://www.amazon.com/Dowco-50144-00.../dp/B000ONZQF2

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:26 AM   #5599
philosobrad
problem_solvent

Old 07-30-2013, 10:30 AM   #5600
philosobrad
problem_solvent

Colorado, Engineer Pass before any mods:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPEFF08MskQ
Old 07-30-2013, 11:04 AM   #5601
lloydpb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
I just put my Dowco Fastrax on, after seeing how good it looked on Secondcreekrider's bike. I considered one of the Wolfman ones, as I have a tankbag already from them. but the price was right, and free shipping. I had a knock-off Givi on there, but with the case off, all these nubs stick up and catch you all the time. And I had it off most of the time. I did have to take the Manrack off to get the knock-off removed, but don't think it would be necessary to remove the rack to get the Fastrax on. http://www.amazon.com/Dowco-50144-00.../dp/B000ONZQF2

Any chance of a pic of it on the bike please?
Thanks
Lloyd
lloydpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:19 AM   #5602
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydpb View Post
Any chance of a pic of it on the bike please?
Thanks
Lloyd
Here on Secondcreekrider's bike: http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=5463

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf

SAPB screwed with this post 07-30-2013 at 11:38 AM
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:41 PM   #5603
callison
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Since the topic was brought up and I'm currently avoiding getting things done on another project I thought I would offer up my opinion RE: longer distance rides on the LRP.

This past week the family and I went to the beach for a much needed vacation. I rode down and my wife drove, she took the highway, I took the byway type deal. Traveling by car on the interstate it's about 3.5 hours from where we live to Wilmington, NC. I rode old US 421 down, took a little over 4.5 hours to get there. The last leg of the ride is through the coastal plain. The road is flat and straight with little traffic aside from farm equipment and semis hauling tobacco and corn.

Puttering through the smaller backwater towns like Liberty and Climax (no really, I'm not kidding, a town named Climax) the bike really shines. Once I got to the long flat stretches of two lane road going through mile after mile of farmland in eastern North Carolina I found myself wanting a little more bike. Don't get me wrong, the bike performed flawlessly during the ride down and back. I was pushing it hard for extended periods of time in the heat of our mid south summer and had no issues at all.

80% of my riding is short commutes to work and riding around town. I feel like the bike is ideal for this and can't think of anything I'd trade it for. If I was planning to do longer road trips, with full grear, even off interstate travel, I'd look for something a little more substantial. That being said, I wouldn't hesitate to ride TAT with the LRP, in fact that's kind of the plan.

As an aside, here's a pic of the odometer hitting the 5K mark, this pic was a couple weeks ago, I'm closer to 6k now.

callison screwed with this post 07-30-2013 at 05:49 PM
callison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:30 PM   #5604
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,418
Revising CRF Muffler

Somehow I stumbled onto some U-tube videos of a guy who hacked up his CRF muffler. Based on what he did, he appears not to have seen what RamZ did to take out the catalyst http://rickramsey.net/CRF250Lcccmods.htm His videos are http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXOmGjSlpTw and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWkCGxiYLfc
It at least explains the insane flow path thru the CRF muffler which has the built in catalyst. Having seen the cylinder of catalyst from my friends WR250R, and a description by this guy and Ram Z, the CRF catalyst is about twice the length, and based on 36 years of experience dealing with automotive catalyst system, that double length CRF catalyst has somewhere between 2 and 4 times the backpressure that the WR250R has. Based on my friends performance improvement on his non-catalyst WR250R...which was REAL significant, I would expect the CRF to run EXTREMELY well without a catalyst, as long as the EJK is tuned to compensate for the A/F ratio changes....most likely leanness....that would result from such backpressure changes.
Also, based on RamZ sound data, the sound level of his bike, with only the catalyst excised, did NOT change (87dB). That surprised me. Personally, I don't advocate removal of the catalyst, but if you are good with a die grinder, and can weld or have access to a good welder, study up on the pictures, do up your muffler, and have a quiet 100% stock appearing muffler, and save many hundreds of dollars. Now that I know the flow diagram of the CRF muffler, I am going to modify the spare spark arrestor I bought to reduce backpressure, while keeping 100% within the letter of the law regarding sparkarrestor functionality.

Ed@Ford screwed with this post 07-30-2013 at 06:52 PM
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:45 PM   #5605
hoodedplover
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Long distance

Anyone done any long distance travel on one of these little girls?

I'm the process (the loooong process) of planing a RTW with the missus and am doing the whole which bike thing.

The problem is that I want to take two identical bikes (for obvious reasons) but due to our size difference (im close to 6 foot and her nickname is "ant") i'm having a hard time finding a bike that we can both fit on. I want to take DR650s but I think its just to big a bike for the ant and these little hondas once farkled look like good little adv bikes.

Now I'm sure 250 is enough for her but for me + luggage I don't know. I've owned 250s in the past (loooooove them around the city and 3rd world countries) but am well aware that they suck on western highways.

I'm going to go in for a test drive in the next fortnight but thought I'd ask if anyone was doing any long term or planning any long term travel on their little Hondas?
hoodedplover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:57 AM   #5606
Red Rider~
Adventurer

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedplover View Post

I'm the process (the loooong process) of planing a RTW with the missus and am doing the whole which bike thing.

The problem is that I want to take two identical bikes (for obvious reasons) but due to our size difference (im close to 6 foot and her nickname is "ant") i'm having a hard time finding a bike that we can both fit on. I want to take DR650s but I think its just to big a bike for the ant and these little hondas once farkled look like good little adv bikes.

Now I'm sure 250 is enough for her but for me + luggage I don't know. I've owned 250s in the past (loooooove them around the city and 3rd world countries) but am well aware that they suck on western highways.

I'm going to go in for a test drive in the next fortnight but thought I'd ask if anyone was doing any long term or planning any long term travel on their little Hondas?
I'd look at the Honda NC700X for a trip like that. Good fuel mileage, low seat height and lots of storage with panniers.
Red Rider~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:14 AM   #5607
bungie4
Frostback

Oddometer: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rider~ View Post
I'd look at the Honda NC700X for a trip like that. Good fuel mileage, low seat height and lots of storage with panniers.
.. and a fuel filler under the seat so you have to unpack everything to gas it up.

2013 FJR1300, 2004 FJR1300, 2013 CRF250L
I have a job, I explore, I follow every little whiff.
On/Offroad help when you need it - http://www.assistancelist.com
bungie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:41 AM   #5608
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post
ED, if your gonna post, please take the time and make sure your statements are based on facts, not some regurgitated hearsay.
MY contribution = "Regurgitated hearsay"? I haven't seen YOUR contribution of information regarding the internals of the muffler HERE on ADVRider. I simply made the point I stumbled across something that other folks had wondered about, and provided links to it. Webster's dictionary defines hearsay as RUMOR. The links provided are hardly rumor. They are indeed fact. If you dig into the fluid dynamics of catalytic substrates, you will find that the increase in pressure drop across the substrates is not a linear relationship, but something approaching the second power. Similarly it's FACT that the CRF's catalytic substrate is about twice as long as that of the WR250R Yamaha. If your share muffler flow test showing with/without catalyst as being no change, then that data becomes fact not hearsay.

Ed@Ford screwed with this post 07-31-2013 at 04:58 AM
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:33 AM   #5609
gnath9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
gnath9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:38 AM   #5610
philosobrad
problem_solvent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedplover View Post

We had the same thought process (the missus and I) before embarking on the Colorado journey. Zero regrets with moto choice here. There's something to be said for having identical bikes.......it's the great skill equalizer.

As a side, do yourself a favor and pull up a fiche of the CRF, the prices for replacement parts are ridiculously inexpensive. Handlebars.....18.00, for example.