Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2013, 06:43 AM   #5611
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by philosobrad View Post
As a side, do yourself a favor and pull up a fiche of the CRF, the prices for replacement parts are ridiculously inexpensive. Handlebars.....18.00, for example.

I wonder how long those prices will stay "reasonable" B4 Honda decides to make them unreasonable. Having a spare clutch lever or cable can make the difference between a ride from heaven or the ride from hell.
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:31 AM   #5612
hoodedplover
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
I wonder how long those prices will stay "reasonable" B4 Honda decides to make them unreasonable. Having a spare clutch lever or cable can make the difference between a ride from heaven or the ride from hell.
Its made in Thailand
hoodedplover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:36 AM   #5613
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedplover View Post
Its made in Thailand
"Made in Thailand" does not preclude Honda US from changing prices if they decide they want to make $$. For example, there were "add ons" for shipping, prep etc etc noted in the first release info on the CRF250L that the dealers could tack on. I paid none of this when I bought my CRF Jan of 2013. In fact I paid LESS than the Honda SRP. Now that it's been established as a good seller, many dealers are charging OVER the SRP. That's called "supply & demand" in the economic world.
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:42 AM   #5614
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedplover View Post
Anyone done any long distance travel on one of these little girls?

I'm the process (the loooong process) of planing a RTW with the missus and am doing the whole which bike thing.

The problem is that I want to take two identical bikes (for obvious reasons) but due to our size difference (im close to 6 foot and her nickname is "ant") i'm having a hard time finding a bike that we can both fit on. I want to take DR650s but I think its just to big a bike for the ant and these little hondas once farkled look like good little adv bikes.

Now I'm sure 250 is enough for her but for me + luggage I don't know. I've owned 250s in the past (loooooove them around the city and 3rd world countries) but be am well aware that they suck on western highways.

I'm going to go in for a test drive in the next fortnight but thought I'd ask if anyone was doing any long term or planning any long term travel on their little Hondas?

It makes a lot of sense to take two of the same bikes RTW, that what we be doing at some point - on crf250l's. compromises will have to be made no matter what bike and personally I'd rather have a small, lightweight, inconspicuous, efficient, inexpensive (think carnet) bike with many common parts found easier than a bigger bike that will be more comfortable when high speeds are possible.
A big bike, especially for a small person is a safety liability in many places where there's not quality pavement, and I think there's more places that would be interesting to travel through without highways than with. Depends on where you want to go and how fast. Sand in Africa, mud in South America or interstate highways in the US and Europe, which do you want to best tool for the job? Nobody is going to make you take highways in western countries, it usually better to stay off them if you want to really experience things anyways. Think Trans American Trail, the TAT.
Journey not destination, right?

While we haven't gone outside the US on the Honda, I've done many long days on highways and find the crf to be just fine, with a windscreen it would be even better. For a 250 it's surprising how well it handles while loaded on the highway actually. But again only you know which way you want the compromises to swing.
If packed like a 250 should be and not overpacked like a big BMW with the whole Touratech catalog bolted on I don't see why the CRF wouldn't be just fine for anyone who wanted to travel RTW, at a pace to actually see things.

Good luck with your test ride, just remember if you're riding a new CRFL the power will be not nearly as what it will be once the motor gets broken in and a few simple mods are done.
Keep us posted if you decide to do some real traveling on the LRP (little red piggy)

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 07-31-2013 at 09:56 AM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:50 AM   #5615
jsonder
Tired Old Fart

Oddometer: 514
My ancient version of this bike travels pretty well.

jsonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:46 AM   #5616
The_Precious_Juice
Two pump chump

Oddometer: 1,285
Thumb Nice bag!

Hello,

I would like to use a bag like this.

Is the rear slick, or is there a rear rack?

How many liters does the bag hold.

Who makes the bag?

Any pro tips with the bag?

Any repsonse to these questions would be helpful and appreicated.
_

I'd have a daypack/bugout bag also in case I had to travel on my feet for a while.
The_Precious_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:57 AM   #5617
The_Precious_Juice
Two pump chump

Not that big of a deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungie4 View Post
.. and a fuel filler under the seat so you have to unpack everything to gas it up.
I think we will both agree that the placement would be better if it had a BMW style to the gas tank.

However, a rider could set their gear up for a quick 50 second access to the tank. At 3.7 gallons, the range is near 275 miles, so not that often of a stop.
Granted, I've never traveled on the NCX or filled up with it either.
The owners type that it is not that big of a deal.

The accesory prices are very expensive on the NCX, but the initila price of $7,499 with a great P. Twin engine is great. Factor in the low maintenance, and maybe the extras are worth it.

I really wish Honda would have went with a 19" tire. I could forgive the 472lbs due to the excellent center of gravity, but 17" killed the bike.
In fact, I wish they would have made a lighter more expensive frame with the 19" tire, and give her more off-road suspension, and put the cost at $9,499, at 445lbs. I would have been very happy.

but they are not for 2014, so I'm down with the CRF250L.
__
I've been watching videos on the 250L. You guys are right about the suspension. Even though it reads 34.7" seat height, I guess the real feel is more like 33.7" NO?
Same thing with ground clearance. Real feel of 9."
Granted, heavier riders drop her down even more.
Fair logic?
Old 07-31-2013, 12:14 PM   #5618
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Precious_Juice View Post
I think we will both agree that the placement would be better if it had a BMW style to the gas tank.

Same thing with ground clearance. Real feel of 9."
Granted, heavier riders drop her down even more.
Fair logic?
Watch someone get on a CRF to see how much the suspension droops.

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:58 PM   #5619
pandamanprod
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Bunch of stock Spare parts Available

Hello all, I've done a bunch of mods to my bike, and have been hoarding my stock parts I'd be willing to part with cheap. I'm in the LA area, and would probably prefer to just sell parts local if anyone has any interest.

Complete stock Muffler assembly

Battery

Rearview Mirrors

Front Sprocket

Chain & Chain Guard

Hardware box

Taillight assembly

Front Turn Signals & Front reflectors.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:05 PM   #5620
The_Precious_Juice
Two pump chump

RotopaX question

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
Watch someone get on a CRF to see how much the suspension droops.
Greetings,

I watched a video yesterday on youtube, but can't find it now.
I owner gave a demo of the suspension after seating down.
Interesting.

__

I was thinking about putting a 2 gallon rotopaX on each side of the bike.
The 2 gallon: 17.75" Length/ 13" Width/ 3" Height.

I could run a line through the center and the three other handle parts, and go from there. The rotopaX would rest on the passenger pegs for better support.

Depending upon my location I could ride with them dry or quater full, or half way, or all the way full for a 450 range (this would be rare).
Clearly, riding down the east coast of Florida I could keep them empty.

However, after the hill country of TX and pushing west, I'd need to put maybe half a gallon in each one, for a 225 mile range.

Each gallon weight about 6lbs. This would increase the weight 24lbs + the weight of each container. I'm 163lbs, so going up to a 346lb wet bike would not be an isse.
What could be an issue, is keeping the rotopaX in place while cruising at around 45-60mph on the tarmac.

I've tired looking for videos and pics on-line, but can't find any. Maybe because this is a dump idea.

For better stability do you all think I should just go with ,two 1 gallon tanks?
@75mpg, that is 300 miles.
If I ever make it to to a place in the lower 48/B. C. Canada/ Yukon Canada/Alaska, I could just cross that bridge when I get there.

Any thoughts.

Thanks for reading.

Edit.
I'm not interested in a rear rack.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:46 PM   #5621
kiwi5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Who Makes that Bag???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsonder View Post
My ancient version of this bike travels pretty well.

Who makes this awesome bag????
kiwi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:00 PM   #5622
greygeezer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi5 View Post
Who makes this awesome bag????
Looks like a Giant Loop great basin bag.
greygeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:01 PM   #5623
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,862
CRF250L broken clutch spring boss?

So we are currently on a COBDR trip with 2 WRR's, 2 CRF's & a sherpa. My wife is riding one of the CRF's and is doing great on it. She's absolutely loving the bike and I've really seen her shine on it out here.

The other CRF is being ridden by my buddies brother. He's probably the newest to the dirt of all 5 of us, but not new to bikes by a long shot. He's a pretty good mechanic too.

His CRF isn't stock and has some of the usual mods like pipe, programmer, etc. On our 2nd day of the trip, we were going over Ophir pass and he was struggling a bit and took a spill hurting his knee. When I went back to help him, he said his clutch was slipping and he just couldn't keep his momentum up. I ended up riding his bike up over the pass for him and I could definitely feel his clutch slipping when I got on it. He had adjusted the slack before the trip and it was fine, but when we checked it on the pass after we noticed it was slipping, there was no free play in the cable, so that certainly wasn't helping. We were able to adjust it out some more, but by then we assumed the damage had been done and he was still hurting pretty good from his tumble. He decided to head off to a town to get new clutch plates while the rest of us continued on.

We heard back from him today and when he went to put the new clutch plates in, he discovered that of the 5 clutch springs in there, one of the bosses holding a spring had broken off meaning there were only 4 springs applying pressure to the clutch plates. That doesn't seem like something that just break off on a low mileage CRF. According to him, it appeared the metal had inclusions in it pointing to a manufacturing defect and even the mechanic there at the shop agreed. Needless to say, his trip is done and he's headed home, but was just curious if anyone else had ran into this with the clutch springs?

So far my wife's CRF has been fine, but its a very low mileage one also and we haven't been into the clutch for any reason yet.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:33 PM   #5624
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Precious_Juice View Post
Greetings,

I was thinking about putting a 2 gallon rotopaX on each side of the bike.
The 2 gallon: 17.75" Length/ 13" Width/ 3" Height.

I could run a line through the center and the three other handle parts, and go from there. The rotopaX would rest on the passenger pegs for better support.

Any thoughts.

Thanks for reading.

Edit.
I'm not interested in a rear rack.
The more mounting points, the better. The rear pegs don't normally have a bunch of weight on them. Chris S, who bought a used CRF, rode around the southwest, then sold it, and returned to UK was having some racks custom made, can't find his post. http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/index....product_id=320

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf

SAPB screwed with this post 07-31-2013 at 10:39 PM
SAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:54 PM   #5625
RACINGTHESUN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Test rode a CRF250L today

When I told the salesman I wanted to test ride one he asked why? He did this because he knows I am interested in the WR250R, and he knows that I really liked the test rode I took. I told him I wanted to be sure what bike I wanted and to really see if the little WR is worth $2000 more than the CRF. He quickly stated that the WR was not quite $2000 more, at least not the 2013 model. Well, after some arm twisting I got to ride the CRF. Really no arm twisting, the salesman didn't have a problem. The bike did have one whole mile on it when I left It was a 2014 and they had just got it the day before. Well, heard a lot of bad and good about the little red bike and had to find out for myself on a short little test ride. Here are the things I liked. The bike surprisingly had a little giddy up, and me being a very big fella at 260+. I don't expect it to have a lot of torque, it is a little 250. It still didn't seem to have as much giddy up as the Yamaha did. Really liked the height from the ground. I am almost 6ft tall, and the WR is just about too high. It would be interesting to see how it would do out in the tough riding areas with the Boulder size rocks everywhere. I mostly ride on Jeep Trails, and loved to take the DR650's up some narly stuff. I just don't know if the shocks on little red would handle the bumps. I believe the bottom after market protection would get the heck beat out of it. Still I liked how low little red sat. I did take it on a dirt rode, the same one as the WR, much to the salesman's dismay. Lucky I didn't find some mud The bike still feels light, even though it is considerably heavier than the WR. Note, I ride a KLR650, and trust me it is a pig in the dirt. I can't stand it. Big mistake buying that POS. Anyway, enough about Mulina, that is my KLR's name. The shocks left something to be desired. The bumps were not all that good. The seat is just as awful as the WR seat. Neither one impressed me. The vibration through the handlebars, even on the pavement was pretty noticeable. Keep in mind not nearly as bad as Mulina, but the little WR had virtually no vibration and that was also on the dirt road. It just seemed to sail right over the bumps. It seemed like I felt most of the bumps on the CRF. Keep in mind, I don't know if it was set up properly before I left. Can you adjust the suspension on little red? The very last thing was the brakes. I very nearly ran right into the back of a persons car at a light. It was a pretty quick stop. WTF? I mean my KLR stops better than little red. The brakes might not have been set up right, don't know. I let the salesman know about it when I got back. I was very wary, the rest of the test ride. Now the million dollar question. Is the WR worth $2000 more than little red? Well, I figured after all the upgrades to make the suspension as good as the WR, and the fact that the WR seems to have a better engine with more HP, no vibration through the handlebars, then I would have to say yeah. Of course we all know that every new vehicle is overpriced anyway, so what difference does it really make? Still $2000 is a lot of money. Still, will have to decide, and I am leaning towards getting it(WR). Maybe tomorrow.....Just though I would share my opinion, just in case anybody is on the fence about whether or not to get this bike. I know 7 miles and ten minutes is not a lot of time to properly evaluate a bike, but the problems I had with it were clearly evident in the little red ride. Everybody has different tastes, and mostly different riding styles. Most people would not ride little red in places that I like to ride. Remember the bad boulder strewn roads? Well, in that case little red would probably be ok, and you wouldn't want to pay $2000 extra for a more offroad worthy moto?

RACINGTHESUN screwed with this post 07-31-2013 at 11:06 PM
RACINGTHESUN is offline   Reply With Quote