Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2013, 12:51 PM   #5641
RayMurdock
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6realtor View Post
I still feel like the crf is a heck of a deal and would not hesitate to buy again,
May I ask which mirrors you have mounted and do they use the stock mount hole? Nice surroundings btw! :)

( I have the $100+ Doubletake foldable mirrors, but I don't like the look of 'm )

RayMurdock screwed with this post 08-01-2013 at 12:59 PM
RayMurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #5642
Wargasm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
big'uns on the LRP

OK so I'm 245lb, 6'2". The CRF250L can haul me down the highway to work, but that's all it has, with the 13t sprocket anyway, there's no power in reserve and it slows down significantly on hills and strong headwinds. I've got fatbar conversion risers which add about an inch and high bend bars and it's still a wee bit short for me standing up off road. The suspension gets a real good work out on gnarly trails too, mind you I probably take it places I shouldn't, 4 wheeler trails in this area are well used and are usually nothing but huge rocks and deep mudholes, not ideal for an undersprung underpowered bike. Plus it's heavy for a 250cc dual sport and I'm saying this coming from big bore 80's muscle bikes, 500-600lb weight class. The weight makes it unweildy I find. I have no problems muscling it around, but that's due to years of heavy hard work rather than a light weight bike, I'm used to shifting large weight so I know how to do it with out wrenching my back out.

If it's your first bike, if you intend to only ride fire roads/ mild single track, if you are going to use it for majority of on road or gravel road riding then it's a good bike. Power delivery isn't arm wrenching, it isn't so heavy as to need a winch if you dump it, but you'll have to be careful lifting it as you could easily find yourself in the middle of nowhere with a throw back. The ergos are fairly good, again I've only got muscle bikes to compare it too. The fuel tank is a pain in the ass, but it gets good mileage, but for any serious lengths you'll need to carry extra fuel.
If however you have ridden dirt before, particularly MX, Enduro or the like then you'll most likely want more power and better components. Hoisting the wheel is still proving difficult, especially if you're already traveling at speed and want to pop the front for a puddle or the like. If you plan on tight technical-ish trail riding you'll want less weight and better suspension. I'm glad I invested in a good skid plate as it's getting bottomed quite a bit on rocks that I try hopping over.
If what you're looking for is a bike that's a blast to run down twisty backroads at full chat, sight see on gravel and fire roads, travel at mild pace on mild trails then this is an excellent bike. It's budgeted oriented (cheap) in construction and cost. Service intervals are long on valves, oil changes are a breeze and it's made of steel, so if you drop it and crack a foot peg mount, which has now happened to me and seems to be quite common, then it's an easy fix. All around it's a great learner, inexperienced, mild to moderate paced bike.
Wargasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:09 PM   #5643
lwood10
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
[QUOTE=RayMurdock;22005357] Nice surroundings btw! :)

Looks like the Apalachicola NF.

Just bought a 2014 today . I have high hope of a mostly trouble free bike after studying this thread.

lwood10 screwed with this post 08-01-2013 at 02:16 PM
lwood10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:18 PM   #5644
RayMurdock
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwood10 View Post
Looks like the Apalachicola NF.

Just bought a 2014 today . I have high hope of a mostly trouble free bike after studying this thread.
Congratulations - have fun with it! It goes anywhere while giving pure relaxation
RayMurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:44 PM   #5645
lwood10
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayMurdock View Post
Congratulations - have fun with it! It goes anywhere while giving pure relaxation
Thanks Ray. Lets see some photos of the Netherlands.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:10 PM   #5646
Kray
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 804
Took the CRF250L offroad for the first time today. Now I see what everyone is talking about. She's oddly geared, undersprung and marginally underpowered on the trails. Still a TON of stinkin' fun though!

Kray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:40 PM   #5647
The_Precious_Juice
In Garrison.

Oddometer: 1,750
Thumb Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post

Thanks for taking the time to post the info.

_
The posts on this thread are very often.

The video posted on the previous page is great! I did not know the bike was that tuff. Makes sence, seeing how her natural habitat is off road.

Also, thanks for the pro tip on how much wieght a passenger peg can take.

Take it easy.
The_Precious_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #5648
RACINGTHESUN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Laugh Thanks for all the input on here

i did go ahead and buy the WR today. I got a $700 discount in the price because the dealership thought it was one of the left over 2012's Nope its a 2013. Doesn't matter to me, they are identical bikes. I tell you, even with my weight, there is absolutely hardly any sag. Even though I am just under 6ft, I can barely touch the ground on it. I actually lean it a little when I stop at a light for instance. The seat kills my arse, and it does on the KLR also and little red hurt also. It had great power going up into the Rocky Mountains. I didn't go up that high, just into the flatirons near where I live. It totally surprised me how it carried my weight with ease. Something about the engine and being able to rev so high. I think I read it has max horsepower all the way up to 10000 rpm. Anyway, I like the bike a bunch, and I am sure the bike and me will be all busted up real soon, never fails..... Wish I could own both bikes, little red and the WR, but like most people I live in realville, and that just isn't gonna happen. Three moto's? The home commander said I have to sale the KLR650 now. She told me to put it on Craigslist, but I am sure nobody will pay $4500 for my used 2012 KLR650 with 9000 miles, so looks like I might be keeping her a while after all See you on the dusty trail
RACINGTHESUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:01 AM   #5649
77VMJB
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Question Newb question

Newby lurker from B.C. here! Haven't rode a bike in way too many years, but just sold the quad and finally got a bike license. The paved roads in my neck of the woods wear a fairly permanent layer of gravel, and the potholes receive mail, so I have been seriously considering this bike. I was hoping someone might be able to let me know if there is any difference between the 2013 and 2014 models? I can get a 2013 from a dealer a couple hours away, but I'm wondering if I should hold out for the new model?

Great thread BTW, appreciate all the information and ideas from the folks on here

Cheers!
77VMJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:17 AM   #5650
lwood10
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by '77 VMJB View Post
Newby lurker from B.C. here! Haven't rode a bike in way too many years, but just sold the quad and finally got a bike license. The paved roads in my neck of the woods wear a fairly permanent layer of gravel, and the potholes receive mail, so I have been seriously considering this bike. I was hoping someone might be able to let me know if there is any difference between the 2013 and 2014 models? I can get a 2013 from a dealer a couple hours away, but I'm wondering if I should hold out for the new model?

Great thread BTW, appreciate all the information and ideas from the folks on here

Cheers!

http://www.rickramsey.net/CRF250L1314.htm

Don't know the accuracy of the above linked post but he has done a lot of mods to his bike. I also read on a Honda dealer's site (Chattanooga Honda) that the year models were identical. I have been researching this bike for months and just bought one about 12 hours ago (a 2014, there are no 13's left in my area). I remember reading somewhere that the engine balancer? was changed on the bike. Whatever the truth is it seems like very little was changed. Good luck.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:25 AM   #5651
philosobrad
problem_solvent

Oddometer: 203
Congrats guys, on the new purchases!

Even if one was a blue bike ;)
Old 08-02-2013, 08:33 AM   #5652
r6realtor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACINGTHESUN View Post
i did go ahead and buy the WR today. I got a $700 discount in the price because the dealership thought it was one of the left over 2012's Nope its a 2013. Doesn't matter to me, they are identical bikes. I tell you, even with my weight, there is absolutely hardly any sag. Even though I am just under 6ft, I can barely touch the ground on it. I actually lean it a little when I stop at a light for instance. The seat kills my arse, and it does on the KLR also and little red hurt also. It had great power going up into the Rocky Mountains. I didn't go up that high, just into the flatirons near where I live. It totally surprised me how it carried my weight with ease. Something about the engine and being able to rev so high. I think I read it has max horsepower all the way up to 10000 rpm. Anyway, I like the bike a bunch, and I am sure the bike and me will be all busted up real soon, never fails..... Wish I could own both bikes, little red and the WR, but like most people I live in realville, and that just isn't gonna happen. Three moto's? The home commander said I have to sale the KLR650 now. She told me to put it on Craigslist, but I am sure nobody will pay $4500 for my used 2012 KLR650 with 9000 miles, so looks like I might be keeping her a while after all See you on the dusty trail
congrats great choice, google lowering the wr250r and there are video's and forums on how to do it, its actually very easy to lower it that free inch that yamaha has built into it, you can also get the spiral step seat which i also have for wr, it will also get your feet on the ground another inch however unfortunately its just as hard as the stock seat but it does work! Here is what is looks like:

r6realtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:27 AM   #5653
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,452
Ricochet

When I bolted on the Ricochet, I used one of those things that opens like a jackknife, 3 larger, and 4 smaller opening in opposite directions. I didn't want to be carrying that around in case it comes loose. I've got a Motion Pro multi-tool that has a 3/8" drive, so I just got that T30 bit at Home Depot, for $1.97, since that's the only thing on the bike that's Torx. Actually stopped at Lowe's first since I was riding by anyway, but they only stock T40 as the smallest 3/8" drive. Not doing Craftsman, they want $5.84. I did use anti-seize, and checked it a couple of times, but there were never any of the fasteners loose. Just a little over 5K on the bike now, no problems. Matter of fact, the only thing it doesn't do well is to make it so it won't rain..........

Crescent wrench for rear axel, and added flea market open end wrenches for chain adjustment, and 13,14, and 17 mm 3/8" drive sockets also flea market finds, as outlined in this youtube vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QMsjjnUzFA

edit: not sure of the proper name for them, the little thing incorporated into the Husky bit holder, that makes the alarm go off, just in case you forget to pay for it. Cut one of those open, and there's really thin strips that could be fashioned into a thing to get the dirt out of your fork seals. D'oh, and I just got the Seal Dr.

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf

SAPB screwed with this post 08-02-2013 at 10:44 AM
SAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:53 PM   #5654
ride2live
Just ride

Oddometer: 88
My thoughts about the weight, power

I have had my 250L up in the mountains this summer quite a bit. I feel plenty of power and the best thing I did was put a 13T on the front. But, unlike several who are chatting now, I am 135# wet and 5'8". I did drop the triple crown 3/4" and put on the low Seat Concepts seat and I feel totally in control and comfortable on the bike. This is an awesome bike, but when you get in the tough terrain, ya gotta stay on the gas - even at my feather weight. But, the LRP comes through every time, just find the right gear and stay on the gas. And at altitude, oh my, the FI is the ticket! My ride buddy has a carb, came to visit from low altitude and was constantly tweaking the mix as we kept climbing. I rode from 5K' to 12K' with zero issues. Nice machine!
Old 08-02-2013, 01:58 PM   #5655
77VMJB
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwood10 View Post
http://www.rickramsey.net/CRF250L1314.htm

Don't know the accuracy of the above linked post but he has done a lot of mods to his bike. I also read on a Honda dealer's site (Chattanooga Honda) that the year models were identical. I have been researching this bike for months and just bought one about 12 hours ago (a 2014, there are no 13's left in my area). I remember reading somewhere that the engine balancer? was changed on the bike. Whatever the truth is it seems like very little was changed. Good luck.
Thanks lwood10! That is an interesting breakdown. Bout all I could find was the comment about the balancer as well, but couldn't figure out if he meant that the 2014 had an updated balancer, or the bike itself featured a balancer to smooth out the engine? I've got an email off to Honda, but have not heard back yet.

Cheers
77VMJB is offline   Reply With Quote