ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2013, 10:55 AM   #5776
Lost Rider
Roadie
 
Lost Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Ventura County, California Republic
Oddometer: 3,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakimaKid View Post
First post for me, I'm in the most remote place on earth, Dutch Harbor, AK waiting for my 2014 CRF250L to arrive next Saturday. It's coming on a barge from Anchorage over the Bering Sea. 7 miles of paved road here and about 20 miles of unpaved roads, plenty of trails, should be about perfect.

To the previous post, I have an XR200 in Negros waiting for me. Have ridden it extensively in the mountains of Leyte and your pictures remind me of that challenging mud. I was probably more steady on the bike than on foot.

Glad to be here and I'll be posting some pics very soon. No mechanic out here so will be relying on all you gentlemen for some maintenance advice. Later.


Welcome to the ADVrider!
You certainly will have some unique places to ride and share with us, you probably live in the most famous yet remote place around!
Plenty of folks here that should be able to help you when needed, just ask away. A service manual and a couple oil filters would be a great buy if you can get them delivered. Considering where you live maybe a reusable metal oil filter would be a good buy instead, been using one on my other bikes for many miles though I'm not positive one is available for the LRP yet. I would think so since it shares the same filter with other many other bikes.
Check the CRF ADV thread for some DIY maintenance info, I think I posted up a generic filter photo we've used that lists all the other brand bike that use the same filter if you haven't already got that sorted out. You'll have about 600 miles to get ready for the first and most important service on the bike.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=859691

Now, post up some photos of the LRP in front of the Wizard!





lwood10:
Thanks for posting up the service manual changes, I'm printing them out and put it in mine.

Cheers.
__________________
Photography for me is not about recreating what I saw through
the viewfinder but to show people the way I want to see the world.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:27 PM   #5777
maginashun
youngling
 
maginashun's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 22

First trail ride in 25 years and on the CRF250L. Learned a couple things. First thing I should have bought for the bike was a skid plate. Hit a couple big rocks sticking out of the ground which concerned me. But I think it hit the frame instead of the crank case. Tires would have been nice for better traction. But not having to worry about cracking anything on the motor would have been more appealing to me yesterday. For personal protection it would be knee/shin guards. Caught the cut end of a small tree marking the trail. Felt like I didn't have boots on. But overall had a good time. The weight is something new I have to deal with considering the light weight motocross bikes I use to ride as a kid. But I plan on lightening it up with the upcoming mods.
maginashun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #5778
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer
 
SAPB's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Rhode Island
Oddometer: 1,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakimaKid View Post

Glad to be here and I'll be posting some pics very soon. No mechanic out here so will be relying on all you gentlemen for some maintenance advice. Later.
Abracadabra, you are a mechanic..........
__________________
C14 - CRF250L, always cleaned while it's raining

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:29 PM   #5779
battlecattle
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Tail of the Dragon
Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
Abracadabra, you are a mechanic..........
Oooh do me next
__________________
http://www.batlecatle.com/
CRF250L Service Manual
2011 F800GS
2014 CRF250L
battlecattle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:12 PM   #5780
jab1026
Adventurer
 
jab1026's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakimaKid View Post
First post for me, I'm in the most remote place on earth, Dutch Harbor, AK waiting for my 2014 CRF250L to arrive next Saturday. It's coming on a barge from Anchorage over the Bering Sea. 7 miles of paved road here and about 20 miles of unpaved roads, plenty of trails, should be about perfect.

To the previous post, I have an XR200 in Negros waiting for me. Have ridden it extensively in the mountains of Leyte and your pictures remind me of that challenging mud. I was probably more steady on the bike than on foot.

Glad to be here and I'll be posting some pics very soon. No mechanic out here so will be relying on all you gentlemen for some maintenance advice. Later.
Welcome brother, soon you will see more photos from Ph. with nice trail and pretty Pinay girls hahaha.

This is my first enduro bike. My previous bike was all underbone/moped type. So as economic get better I decided to buy a bike that is suitable in Philippine road condition. I used to love long rides, I've been in Manila-Visayas loop ride covering all major visayas big islands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargasm View Post
Oh how I have come to despise slick clay mud, no tire on earth, or tracked vehicle could traverse it without slipping. A D606 gets a little more traction than stock, but not enough to make a difference, it just breaks grip a fraction of a millisecond later.
Yup riding on that muddy terrain is stressful, you rev tire will spin with out moving ahead.
The picture that I posted was in Mt. Balagbag
jab1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:17 PM   #5781
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer
 
SAPB's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Rhode Island
Oddometer: 1,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by battlecattle View Post
Oooh do me next
We are all learning. Have you checked tire pressure, oil level? You are well on the way. Move on to flats, tire swaps...........YakimaKid hasn't much of a choice, he IS the mechanic. Many sources for information on our bike.


http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=859691

http://www.rickramsey.net/CRF250Lmods.htm#forks

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=740737

http://adventure-motorcyclingh.com/2...-project-bike/

Thanks, Joec63, Lost, Ramz, and Chris...............
__________________
C14 - CRF250L, always cleaned while it's raining

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:24 PM   #5782
Kray
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Kray's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Knoxville, TN
Oddometer: 495
Tucked my rear license plate bracket assembly today. Took 5 minutes and looks a bit better.

Kray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:52 PM   #5783
maginashun
youngling
 
maginashun's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kray View Post
Tucked my rear license plate bracket assembly today. Took 5 minutes and looks a bit better.

Nice! I actually tucked mine a little farther up yesterday. Took photos of it an hour ago. Should be posting soon.
maginashun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:00 PM   #5784
Kray
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Kray's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Knoxville, TN
Oddometer: 495
I couldn't figure out how to get it any further up without major work. I just removed the metal bracket thing and marked my spot and sliced it off with a cutting wheel. Used the two stock bolts that were holding the metal bracket on to re-apply the license plate. This will work until I can get a proper delete kit in place

Kray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:57 PM   #5785
maginashun
youngling
 
maginashun's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kray View Post
I couldn't figure out how to get it any further up without major work. I just removed the metal bracket thing and marked my spot and sliced it off with a cutting wheel. Used the two stock bolts that were holding the metal bracket on to re-apply the license plate. This will work until I can get a proper delete kit in place

Surprisingly it wasn't that bad. I actually did it right before I went trail riding yesterday morning and didn't cut anything. First there are four screws to take off the mud guard you cut. Then three screws to take off the brake light assembly from the frame. There is a little bit of coaxing to get the assembly around the turn signals. But pretty simple. Last thing to completely remove it is to unclip the wires with a small flat head or something similar. Now you have access to the four screws holding on the license plate light. I don't plan on riding much at night. So I'm good. But if anyone goes this far and plans on riding at night, then you should cut a hole in the bottom of the brake light and then seal it back up with something clear to make it water tight. That way you are utilizing the brake light source for the license plate. I'm sure this sound familiar to some. It's because I got it from this video. I would have liked to make a video of the whole process. But it takes forever to render on my current setup.

maginashun screwed with this post 08-11-2013 at 07:03 PM
maginashun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:29 PM   #5786
Wargasm
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Wargasm's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
Oddometer: 148
concerns

OK, so has anyone else removed the output shaft cover and left it off to facilitate cleaning etc. Is this a thing that can be done on bikes that see a lot of dirt? I only ask becasue I've seen quite a few pics of bikes that have retained it.

Oh yeah and where were people getting stiffer springs from, this poor thing is getting slagged bad hauling my ass around.
Wargasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:35 PM   #5787
YakimaKid
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Unalaska, AK
Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
Welcome to the ADVrider!
You certainly will have some unique places to ride and share with us, you probably live in the most famous yet remote place around!
Plenty of folks here that should be able to help you when needed, just ask away. A service manual and a couple oil filters would be a great buy if you can get them delivered. Considering where you live maybe a reusable metal oil filter would be a good buy instead, been using one on my other bikes for many miles though I'm not positive one is available for the LRP yet. I would think so since it shares the same filter with other many other bikes.
Check the CRF ADV thread for some DIY maintenance info, I think I posted up a generic filter photo we've used that lists all the other brand bike that use the same filter if you haven't already got that sorted out. You'll have about 600 miles to get ready for the first and most important service on the bike.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=859691

Now, post up some photos of the LRP in front of the Wizard!







lwood10:
Thanks for posting up the service manual changes, I'm printing them out and put it in mine.

Cheers.
Ha! Thanks I will find lots of the boats and get my pictures of the bike and me and the grizzly old fishermen and boats. I've lived out here about 12 years and it's been quite an experience.

I'm going to order a service manual and hope some tools come with the bike. My Grandpa was a mechanic and I tend to make friends with the mechanically inclined so hopefully I can keep my new bike serviced properly. Even in the Philippines my XR200 can get a tune up at the local dealership in the province, but there's none of those around here. A couple of auto mechanics but I'd rather take a hands on approach.

Do you think I can manage the 600 mile service on my own? I'm don't know what it entails. I'll do my research as you've suggested. I'd like to break her in before the snow falls and service her for the first time before the dark months of winter, but I still want to give her a weekly snow ride.
YakimaKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #5788
YakimaKid
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Unalaska, AK
Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab1026 View Post
Welcome brother, soon you will see more photos from Ph. with nice trail and pretty Pinay girls hahaha.
Now don't get me into trouble! I have a Waray mother-in-law guarding that XR to make sure the only Pinay on the back is my asawa... HaHa! I welcome all your pictures anyway my friend! Good to meet you hope we can meet up next year when we visit.
YakimaKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:41 PM   #5789
YakimaKid
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Unalaska, AK
Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
Abracadabra, you are a mechanic..........
Yes!
YakimaKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:43 PM   #5790
YakimaKid
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Unalaska, AK
Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
We are all learning. Have you checked tire pressure, oil level? You are well on the way. Move on to flats, tire swaps...........YakimaKid hasn't much of a choice, he IS the mechanic. Many sources for information on our bike.
Yeah, you know how it is, lack of mechanic was an afterthought, haha!
YakimaKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014