Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2013, 01:17 PM   #5806
Bighouse
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by battlecattle View Post
And you lost me... gel in the heat is possibly the worst thing in existence.
I lost you how? It was 27C today and the seat was fine after sitting in the sun all day. ;-)
Bighouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:45 PM   #5807
Bighouse
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
Hmmmmm, the small one, at 11" X 8" would be just about right. I had a replacement gel seat on a SV650, one of the best Father's day presents I ever had. http://www.propoly.ca/product/butt-b...-cushion-p-pad

edit: With a grey cover, not so hot in the summer.
I'd rather have it done right and put under the vinyl cover. It is a little bumpy but still looks good as opposed to having a pad on top of your seat.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:02 PM   #5808
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighouse View Post
I'd rather have it done right and put under the vinyl cover. It is a little bumpy but still looks good as opposed to having a pad on top of your seat.

Oh, I definitely see your point... But you were able to take your seat off, then put it back on, maybe an hour or so later and ride off. There aren't many if ever times, when I can be without a bike. And to ship, and have them do it, then send back would be at least a week. I'd freak out.

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:16 PM   #5809
Woody2627
Skinny Decaf Latte Thanks

Oddometer: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kray View Post
Around 80mph. Mine was 77mph. There are so many different variables that it isn't an exact number. The bike does not have enough power to reach the theoretical max speed in stock form.
Tyre size is the only variable, everything is else is constant. There are plenty of aftermarket tachos available for under 100 bucks and they are easy to install. :
Woody2627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:19 PM   #5810
Kray
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody2627 View Post
Tyre size is the only variable, everything is else is constant. There are plenty of aftermarket tachos available for under 100 bucks and they are easy to install. :
weight, temperature, barometric pressure, wind direction, wind speed, humidity, traffic, grade ...to name a few. The EFI system is decent at trying to keep things equal but wind tends to be my biggest enemy.
Kray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:31 PM   #5811
Woody2627
Skinny Decaf Latte Thanks

Oddometer: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kray View Post
weight, temperature, barometric pressure, wind direction, wind speed, humidity, traffic, grade ...to name a few. The EFI system is decent at trying to keep things equal but wind tends to be my biggest enemy.
None of them will affect the relationship between crankshaft speed and road speed.
Woody2627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:33 PM   #5812
Bighouse
Adventurer

Quote:
Oh, I definitely see your point... But you were able to take your seat off, then put it back on, maybe an hour or so later and ride off. There aren't many if ever times, when I can be without a bike. And to ship, and have them do it, then send back would be at least a week. I'd freak out.
I agree! It is probably the only thing winter is good for! :-D
Old 08-12-2013, 04:34 PM   #5813
jab1026
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by marktbike View Post
Does anybody know the maximum speed in the six gears, with original gear ratios? Thanks!
On my CRF I did hit 135kph with little tail wind.. I am 75 kgs.
But most of the time 110kph- 120kph is very easy to reached...
jab1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:25 PM   #5814
ATLKLR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
I agree the best bang for the buck is the 13t, and no changing the chain. It's a JT JTF1321.13, less than $20 + shipping. Only thing is, your speedo is off then, 12 O'clock labs has the SpeedoDRD to fix this. I didn't think I would get the bar risers, but now I'm looking. Is it just 1" that you can do without cable problems? I'm staying with the stock bars, what have people been getting?
I think I'm going to try the 13T mod but so unsure as I ride a decent bit in metro traffic and often hitting the 70s mph. However, for the price, it sounds likes a fun weekend project.

I have installed the Rox Risers 2inch. They work excellent and I kept all stock cables and electric. I'm 6'2" and can stand up comfortably now. Easy mod to do as well. you will have to rotate your break lever a little upwards if you have aftermarket hand guards.
ATLKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:52 PM   #5815
YakimaKid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post

I would think that you and most people around you up there are pretty resourceful and helpful with each other, and there's no real specialty tools needed to maintain this bike so you should be good .
Thanks Lost Rider, I checked out one of your posts in another thread concerning the valve inspection last night and it looks very interesting. I'm slightly intimidated by the thought of taking my bike apart (more like afraid to screw it up) but I like the idea of DIY, especially living up here so long, one does tend to become resourceful, and today I enlisted a coworker with some mechanical aptitude to help me with the first service. I am having slight anxiety with the return of memories related to cleaning the filters of my 1976 RM125 when I was 12 years old. I can still smell the fuel mix, and my bike was in the shop more than not, so I want to be careful. Thanks again.
YakimaKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:12 PM   #5816
maginashun
youngling

Oddometer: 22
MPG log online

Since nobody threw this out there when we were talking about gas mileage the other day.
maginashun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:17 PM   #5817
maginashun
youngling

Octane?

Since it's been a long time since I've had to buy gas for a motorcycle and when I did it had to be a mixture, I have no idea what to get. I was at the pumps on Saturday just wasting time on my phone searching the internet and came up with nothing. So I couldn't wait any longer and just went with Unleaded (89). It's not surprising that I didn't find anything easily during my search after reading a thread. Seems like choice of octane ranks right up there with the Canon/Nikon, PS3/Xbox or PC/Mac debate. What do you run in yours?
Old 08-13-2013, 02:15 AM   #5818
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by maginashun View Post
Since it's been a long time since I've had to buy gas for a motorcycle and when I did it had to be a mixture, I have no idea what to get. I was at the pumps on Saturday just wasting time on my phone searching the internet and came up with nothing. So I couldn't wait any longer and just went with Unleaded (89). It's not surprising that I didn't find anything easily during my search after reading a thread. Seems like choice of octane ranks right up there with the Canon/Nikon, PS3/Xbox or PC/Mac debate. What do you run in yours?
Owner's Manual page 28, unleaded only, pump octane number 86 or higher. 87 seems to be the lowest available around here, that's what I run.

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:38 AM   #5819
maginashun
youngling

Quote:
Owner's Manual page 28, unleaded only, pump octane number 86 or higher. 87 seems to be the lowest available around here, that's what I run.
Thanks for the info. I don't have access to mine right now.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:18 AM   #5820
Kray
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody2627 View Post
None of them will affect the relationship between crankshaft speed and road speed.
The relationship between crankshaft speed and road speed is limited by external forces. The CRF250L doesn't have nearly enough power to reach it's geared maximum speed from the factory. With a decent gust at your back and a racing suit on going downhill in a tuck you'll hit a higher top speed than Billy Bob in jeans and a t-shirt trying to power up a hill against the wind. It's physics.

Now, if the CRF250L had ~80hp this would be a different conversation. It could then reach it's maximum geared speed and be limited by internal mechanics. Not to mention, be awesome as duck.
Kray is online now   Reply With Quote