ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-19-2012, 08:33 AM   #571
Glennius
n00b
 
Glennius's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by wide View Post
Looked at one today in the dealers here in UK. Quite impressed by what is in my eyes, a funky commuter bike, does have some good points. The sign on the bike is rekoning 90mpg.. quite an impressive figure although real world riding, will almost definately see a lesser figure. Seemed a good ride height with enough suspension travel and very well balanced. Big lump of an engine mind. The frame looked like it will need a new coat after a couple of years and definately needs new bars.. they look like they are made of cheese!!
I guess it will suit a gentle bimbler, probably over 45 year old and wanting to be getting away from hustle and bustle, rather than riding it like they stole it. not bad for what it is mind, in a couple of years second hand will be fairly cheap and be ok.
Do wonder at what speed they like to do a road mind, may have a test ride if I can get around to it
So through all the crypto-quoting....we chock ya down for a like on this bike!

If people want to ride gentle; then so be it. Fun is in the eye of the berider!

I don't push my stuff; I cruise and patrol the highways and bi-ways on mine. I seen a baby calf come out of it's mother the other day in the county.

Cool!

cu,
Glenn.
Glennius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:55 AM   #572
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer
 
G19Tony's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: KLAS
Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by joec63 View Post
Sorry I wasn't clear. Im assuming the 8.3 mm is additional per side. Looking for the total top measurement on this diagram, left to right...thanks!

124.6mm across the top

39.4mm on the side
__________________
Honda CT70, Hodaka Dirt Squirt, Kawasaki Versys, Suzuki TU250,
Honda CRF250L, Honda CRF80F, Honda CRF230F, Honda CL70.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:07 PM   #573
Kevinsterner
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Kevinsterner's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Cave Creek, AZ
Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by G19Tony View Post
It does. Thanks. I'm 5'9" with a 30 inseam. Does the wide part of the seat give you any trouble?
Nope. That is the best part of the seat. It distributes my weight better and the foam is a little softer. I rode 125 miles of fire roads with the old seat and my butt and tail bone were killing me. I have only taken a short ride with the new seat but it feels great.
__________________
2011 Husqvarna TE 449 (Current Bike)
2011 Kawasaki 650 KLR (Current Bike)
2013 Honda CRF 250 L
1981 Honda 750 F,1972 Yamaha 250, 1971 Hodaka
you can't fix stupid.
Kevinsterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:20 PM   #574
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer
 
G19Tony's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: KLAS
Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinsterner View Post
Nope. That is the best part of the seat. It distributes my weight better and the foam is a little softer. I rode 125 miles of fire roads with the old seat and my butt and tail bone were killing me. I have only taken a short ride with the new seat but it feels great.
It's on my list!
__________________
Honda CT70, Hodaka Dirt Squirt, Kawasaki Versys, Suzuki TU250,
Honda CRF250L, Honda CRF80F, Honda CRF230F, Honda CL70.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:40 PM   #575
roundtripping
Adventourist
 
roundtripping's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Oddometer: 1,702
Laugh My best farkle

__________________
12 F658GS
13 Honda CRF250L


My SPOT Tracker
roundtripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:54 PM   #576
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer
 
byron555's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Central Wisconsin
Oddometer: 1,047
I just got a Ka-Bar machete

Quote:
Originally Posted by StupidDogCoffee View Post
Going to gather firewood this month, so I experimented with attaching one of my handier woodcraft tools.



It holds secure and I can lock the lanyard into the mount so it won't come out of the scabbard even if the buckles come undone. Plus it's quick and easy to get on and off and the only modifications were done to the scabbard, not the bike.
I just got one of those! Haven't used it yet, but I here they work great.
__________________
Another inmate stole my Avatar...
WR250R... 15 cubic inches of raw power.
xr50r.... More than I can Handle
Oil changed @ 14300... filter next
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:09 AM   #577
dangerdawg
NooB
 
dangerdawg's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: nebraska
Oddometer: 10
Random thoughts

I bought one on Sept 25th for $4700, plus $365 to the State of Nebraska for tax & plates. Has 600 Miles on it now. Did the oil change - used filter and gaskets for a cbr250r from powersportsplus. Shell rotella T 10w30. Ordered a manual from the dealer. I really like this bike. It's just plain fun to ride. Most roads in Nebraska that are not highways are gravel or dirt. Rode it off the showroom floor, 2 miles later I was on the back roads for the ride home - it got dirt on it before it got home, hasn't been clean for long since. I live in a small town, and the gravel starts 2 blocks from my house. All kinds of fun places to ride around here, cops are few and far between. I'm not a motocross guy, I never will be, just a lowly adventure rider, and this bike works very well for me. I tool around the "outback" and when I see a place that is off road (or off dirt, I should say) I just go check it out. I really like how quite the bike is, I drove up on a flock of deer and they did not hear me until I was about 50 feet away. I was only going about 25 mph when I spotted them. A few people have commented about how quite the bike is, they liked it. It gets looks, too. It's geared too high for what I do with it, but that's easy enough to fix. Ordered a 13 tooth JTF1321.13 sprocket for it, should be here today. Ordered a ricochet skid plate for it, they shipped fast and it looks good, got that yesterday, was going to put it on, but decided to drink too much beer instead. Maybe tonight, along with the sprocket. Some folks have mentioned the weight of the bike, but I really don't care - it handles just fine for what I want it do, better than I had hoped actually. Like every bike, this one has it's own personality - the more I ride it, the more I like it. Riding on the dirt and gravel with fuel injection is a new experience for me - one I really like. You can control the rear wheel spin in a power slide much better than on a carbureted bike - makes me look like a better rider than I am. Great fun. I still have a big stupid grin on my face every time I get back home. I really enjoy cruising around the back roads from one podunk town to another. I don't go real fast, I got all that out of my system a while back - but I can ride it fast when I want to. So yeah, it's not super fast, or real light, or a crf250r, but it is a good dual sport adventure machine, and that's what I wanted.
__________________
Intolerance will not be tolerated!
dangerdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:48 AM   #578
joec63 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
joec63's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Olmsted Twnshp, OH
Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by G19Tony View Post
124.6mm across the top

39.4mm on the side
Thanks, did you drill the holes in the new bar for the switch gear?
__________________
________
Semper Fi
joec63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:04 AM   #579
Kevinsterner
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Kevinsterner's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Cave Creek, AZ
Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerdawg View Post
I bought one on Sept 25th for $4700, plus $365 to the State of Nebraska for tax & plates. Has 600 Miles on it now. Did the oil change - used filter and gaskets for a cbr250r from powersportsplus. Shell rotella T 10w30. Ordered a manual from the dealer. I really like this bike. It's just plain fun to ride. Most roads in Nebraska that are not highways are gravel or dirt. Rode it off the showroom floor, 2 miles later I was on the back roads for the ride home - it got dirt on it before it got home, hasn't been clean for long since. I live in a small town, and the gravel starts 2 blocks from my house. All kinds of fun places to ride around here, cops are few and far between. I'm not a motocross guy, I never will be, just a lowly adventure rider, and this bike works very well for me. I tool around the "outback" and when I see a place that is off road (or off dirt, I should say) I just go check it out. I really like how quite the bike is, I drove up on a flock of deer and they did not hear me until I was about 50 feet away. I was only going about 25 mph when I spotted them. A few people have commented about how quite the bike is, they liked it. It gets looks, too. It's geared too high for what I do with it, but that's easy enough to fix. Ordered a 13 tooth JTF1321.13 sprocket for it, should be here today. Ordered a ricochet skid plate for it, they shipped fast and it looks good, got that yesterday, was going to put it on, but decided to drink too much beer instead. Maybe tonight, along with the sprocket. Some folks have mentioned the weight of the bike, but I really don't care - it handles just fine for what I want it do, better than I had hoped actually. Like every bike, this one has it's own personality - the more I ride it, the more I like it. Riding on the dirt and gravel with fuel injection is a new experience for me - one I really like. You can control the rear wheel spin in a power slide much better than on a carbureted bike - makes me look like a better rider than I am. Great fun. I still have a big stupid grin on my face every time I get back home. I really enjoy cruising around the back roads from one podunk town to another. I don't go real fast, I got all that out of my system a while back - but I can ride it fast when I want to. So yeah, it's not super fast, or real light, or a crf250r, but it is a good dual sport adventure machine, and that's what I wanted.
Great eval. I love mine. Where in Husker land do you live? I grew up in Nebraska City
__________________
2011 Husqvarna TE 449 (Current Bike)
2011 Kawasaki 650 KLR (Current Bike)
2013 Honda CRF 250 L
1981 Honda 750 F,1972 Yamaha 250, 1971 Hodaka
you can't fix stupid.
Kevinsterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:38 AM   #580
ausfahrt
mach schnell
 
ausfahrt's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Fl & Vt
Oddometer: 1,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerdawg View Post
I bought one on Sept 25th for $4700, plus $365 to the State of Nebraska for tax & plates. Has 600 Miles on it now. Did the oil change - used filter and gaskets for a cbr250r from powersportsplus. Shell rotella T 10w30. Ordered a manual from the dealer. I really like this bike. It's just plain fun to ride. Most roads in Nebraska that are not highways are gravel or dirt. Rode it off the showroom floor, 2 miles later I was on the back roads for the ride home - it got dirt on it before it got home, hasn't been clean for long since. I live in a small town, and the gravel starts 2 blocks from my house. All kinds of fun places to ride around here, cops are few and far between. I'm not a motocross guy, I never will be, just a lowly adventure rider, and this bike works very well for me. I tool around the "outback" and when I see a place that is off road (or off dirt, I should say) I just go check it out. I really like how quite the bike is, I drove up on a flock of deer and they did not hear me until I was about 50 feet away. I was only going about 25 mph when I spotted them. A few people have commented about how quite the bike is, they liked it. It gets looks, too. It's geared too high for what I do with it, but that's easy enough to fix. Ordered a 13 tooth JTF1321.13 sprocket for it, should be here today. Ordered a ricochet skid plate for it, they shipped fast and it looks good, got that yesterday, was going to put it on, but decided to drink too much beer instead. Maybe tonight, along with the sprocket. Some folks have mentioned the weight of the bike, but I really don't care - it handles just fine for what I want it do, better than I had hoped actually. Like every bike, this one has it's own personality - the more I ride it, the more I like it. Riding on the dirt and gravel with fuel injection is a new experience for me - one I really like. You can control the rear wheel spin in a power slide much better than on a carbureted bike - makes me look like a better rider than I am. Great fun. I still have a big stupid grin on my face every time I get back home. I really enjoy cruising around the back roads from one podunk town to another. I don't go real fast, I got all that out of my system a while back - but I can ride it fast when I want to. So yeah, it's not super fast, or real light, or a crf250r, but it is a good dual sport adventure machine, and that's what I wanted.
What a great first post.


Welcome to the asylum.
__________________
******

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else.
-Winston Churchill
ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:33 AM   #581
dangerdawg
NooB
 
dangerdawg's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: nebraska
Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinsterner View Post
Great eval. I love mine. Where in Husker land do you live? I grew up in Nebraska City
I live about 10 miles west of Lincoln. There is a private motocross track about 2 miles from here, I can hear them out there now. I may ride over later and see what they think of the 250L. Another friend has 80 acres with good ATV trails about 5 miles north, I ride gravel to his place, ride the trails, and ride back home.
__________________
Intolerance will not be tolerated!
dangerdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:39 AM   #582
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer
 
G19Tony's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: KLAS
Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by joec63 View Post
Thanks, did you drill the holes in the new bar for the switch gear?
Yes I did.
__________________
Honda CT70, Hodaka Dirt Squirt, Kawasaki Versys, Suzuki TU250,
Honda CRF250L, Honda CRF80F, Honda CRF230F, Honda CL70.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:53 AM   #583
joec63 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
joec63's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Olmsted Twnshp, OH
Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by G19Tony View Post
Yes I did.
I went ahead and did also, didn't like the idea of possibly sliding around.
__________________
________
Semper Fi
joec63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:55 AM   #584
dangerdawg
NooB
 
dangerdawg's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: nebraska
Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausfahrt View Post
What a great first post.


Welcome to the asylum.

Thanks - I went out and put on the 13t sprocket, didn't even have to take the chain off. The axle adjusters are kind of a pain though. It's a definite improvement. Took about 45 minutes.
dangerdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:37 PM   #585
Kevinsterner
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Kevinsterner's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Cave Creek, AZ
Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerdawg View Post
I live about 10 miles west of Lincoln. There is a private motocross track about 2 miles from here, I can hear them out there now. I may ride over later and see what they think of the 250L. Another friend has 80 acres with good ATV trails about 5 miles north, I ride gravel to his place, ride the trails, and ride back home.
Very nice. Go Huskers
__________________
2011 Husqvarna TE 449 (Current Bike)
2011 Kawasaki 650 KLR (Current Bike)
2013 Honda CRF 250 L
1981 Honda 750 F,1972 Yamaha 250, 1971 Hodaka
you can't fix stupid.
Kevinsterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014