Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2013, 09:35 PM   #5986
ScootToots
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto-X Fil View Post
In particular, the LRP seems like a good candidate for that tire. It's a momentum bike, where roosting is counter-productive. A sticky trials tire seems like just the ticket for an under-powered bike, where we need it to stick, not spin. I'm thinking it'll finally get me doing sit-down 2nd gear wheelies, too.

I just ordered an MT43 and MT21 combo, along with some Motion Pro rimlocks. I'm commuting on the Versys right now anyway, so I might as well pull the stock tires off the Honda and have some fun in the dirt. I'll report back in a week or so...
It'll be good to hear what you think of the combo after you have ridden some with them. keep us posted.

:-)
Old 08-21-2013, 09:41 PM   #5987
ScootToots
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
Nice pictures. Tire choice can vary depending on what kind of crud you are riding on. Asking around in your local area can get you good results. I'm thinking of going with the MT43 next time, but got way more life in the D606 for now. Speaking of trials, middle of September RITC hosting an event in Exeter. The glaciers ended life down there, leaving quite a train wreck of boulders and rocks, making for some of the nastiest terrain you can get. Unfortunately, no riding in there unless your in the club. My son and I did extensive hiking in there when he was in Scouts. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSN9bMA-Yfk
http://www.ritrialsclub.com/
Liked the video. That's some boulders for sure. The terrain around here is pretty much anything you could want from dry and dusty to muddy; from extremely steep loose rock to.. well, like I say we have it all here. Paradise really :-)

Cheers
Old 08-21-2013, 10:40 PM   #5988
Vzuke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
ATLKLR Tire Reply

Yes, Warp Nine rims. I went straight to Warp Nine and bought the tires (Pirelli Diablos) with the rims.

Moto Tires:
110 tire up front 17 X 3.50 rim
140 tire for rear 17 X 4.25 rim

The forks are narrow on this bike, that's why the 110 up front. A 120 is the same width as the fattest part of the forks (near the seals). You could probably squeeze a 120 in but it will rub the snap rings (the wire that prevents the fork protectors from rubbing on the forks). I have seen some guys shave the edge of the tires for clearance. You do have to trim the inside of the fork protectors. No monster rotor with this set up, same size as stock. Something about how the stock caliper was mounted and the extension bracket would be too thin.

The 140 is a good fit but it was rubbing the stock exhaust when the suspension was compressed. My wife's bike was lowered. I had to put a spacer on the Yoshimura exhaust mount to kick it out a little so it wouldn't rub. I had to trim the chain guard a little also.

Lowering is a game of Millimeters. If I would have been thinking I should have gone with a 60 series tire instead of the 70 series, Lower profile. Not sure if they are wider though. That might cause more clearance issues......

Vzuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:54 PM   #5989
maginashun
youngling

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vzuke View Post
Yes, Warp Nine rims. I went straight to Warp Nine and bought the tires (Pirelli Diablos) with the rims.

Moto Tires:
110 tire up front 17 X 3.50 rim
140 tire for rear 17 X 4.25 rim

The forks are narrow on this bike, that's why the 110 up front. A 120 is the same width as the fattest part of the forks (near the seals). You could probably squeeze a 120 in but it will rub the snap rings (the wire that prevents the fork protectors from rubbing on the forks). I have seen some guys shave the edge of the tires for clearance. You do have to trim the inside of the fork protectors. No monster rotor with this set up, same size as stock. Something about how the stock caliper was mounted and the extension bracket would be too thin.

The 140 is a good fit but it was rubbing the stock exhaust when the suspension was compressed. My wife's bike was lowered. I had to put a spacer on the Yoshimura exhaust mount to kick it out a little so it wouldn't rub. I had to trim the chain guard a little also.

Lowering is a game of Millimeters. If I would have been thinking I should have gone with a 60 series tire instead of the 70 series, Lower profile. Not sure if they are wider though. That might cause more clearance issues......

Thanks for posting. I've been wondering what the Warp 9's with tires look like installed. Interested in seeing more photos. Like one from straight on. Want to see how thin that front tire looks.

maginashun screwed with this post 08-22-2013 at 12:09 AM
maginashun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:25 AM   #5990
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,381
MT43 info

Searching, I came across this. It has recent posts at the end. It would be easier if it only contained information on a bike of our weight/power, but dig through. Pay attention to the location of the inmate for reference to your ride area. One thing that concerns me is under low pressure (where this tire shines) the sidewall is more prone tearing due to it bulging at low pressure, and catching on a rock or something than a true DOT knobby like the D606. Absolutely gonna need rim locks, I run TUbliss. Over on the KLX thread there are quite a few folks running MT43, and that bike is similar to the power characteristics of our bike. Maybe someone from over there will chime in.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=398746

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf

SAPB screwed with this post 08-22-2013 at 03:36 AM
SAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:34 AM   #5991
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
"IMS fuel tank capacity 11,100 ml = 11.1 liter = 2.93 gal.
111 oz or .87 gal more than the stock fuel tank."

That's it ? , seems hardly worth the cost and trouble of installing it.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:33 AM   #5992
Kray
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post

It's definitely not a priority mod for those on a budget.
Kray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:56 AM   #5993
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

The CRF250L Owners thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kray View Post
It's definitely not a priority mod for those on a budget.
Well I'm not on a budget but I've had the ims tanks on my 610 husky ( increased range to 250 miles) and my DR650 which also took it to 5 gals and 250. But for not even a gallon increase seems not worth the effort to me. You could say its a smaller framed bike, and it is, but IMS great increased the range on the WR with that design.
Better then nothing I suppose. Maybe Acerbis will be next to offer a tank for the CRF.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:23 AM   #5994
kb7tgr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
I completely agree Not even a gallon more???? Hopefully acerbis or CLark will come out with something that

will actually make sense. I carry nearly 2 gallons in my rear mounted roto-pax (1.94) and my decision is not

budget based either.

Quote:
Well I'm not on a budget but I've had the ims tanks on my 610 husky ( increased range to 250 miles) and my DR650 which also took it to 5 gals and 250. But for not even a gallon increase seems not worth the effort to me. You could say its a smaller framed bike, and it is, but IMS great increased the range on the WR with that design.
Better then nothing I suppose. Maybe Acerbis will be next to offer a tank for the CRF.
kb7tgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:36 AM   #5995
bluzharp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
It's 42% more fuel without having to figure out a way to haul external tanks. If your day trips are over 100 miles, in remote country, it's a big deal. I have a WR250R with a 3 gallon tank and my buddy is on the CRF250L with the factory tank, and it's something between a scheduling issue and a real pain in the ass to make sure we can get home. I wish the factories would just put 3 gallon tanks on them from the beginning.
bluzharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:48 AM   #5996
roundtripping
Adventourist

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:

+1

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

My SPOT Tracker
roundtripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:50 AM   #5997
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzharp View Post
It's 42% more fuel without having to figure out a way to haul external tanks. If your day trips are over 100 miles, in remote country, it's a big deal.
The reality is, 42% of not nearly enough, is still "not enough".

Old 08-22-2013, 06:51 AM   #5998
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Quote:
The reality is, 42% of not nearly enough, is still "not enough".
The remote country I have ridden dictates at least 200 miles.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:57 AM   #5999
Auto-X Fil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 537
Plus, it's capacity on top of your reserve:

2.06 gal - 0.4 gal reserve = 1.66gal
2.93 gal - 0.4 gal reserve = 2.53gal

At the 62mpg I average, that means my range goes from 103 miles to 157 miles. Sure, it's still a little weak, but it makes a big difference for me. With the kind of riding I do, I'm usually <100 miles between gas stations. But, I often cut it really close, and need to haul gas just in case. Now I have an extra 50+ miles of reserve.

For many people, They need 250-300 mile range. Once you're packing several gallons on the back anyway, this is a pointless mod.
Auto-X Fil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:21 AM   #6000
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,481
Quote:
The remote country I have ridden dictates at least 200 miles.
I've gone 140 miles several times commuting here in Wisconsin on the stock tank.
siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote