User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2013, 06:44 PM   #6496
jjustj
cum petris et choris

Oddometer: 5,448
would help to know....

where you are, and experience as a rider.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348508
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489958 Sunday worship, a strap-on, and Does this water taste funny?
jjustj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:04 PM   #6497
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
Although I have no REAL data, it's a pretty safe bet that the 300 will have a shortened rod compared to the 250. WHY? Look at where peak power is on the 300 vs the 250....it's almost 2000 RPM lower on the 300 than the 250. So...what does that mean...Honda revised tuning, cam timing, porting etc to get power at a lower engine RPM to keep piston speed about the same. Why worry about piston speed? to keep equivalent durability of the 250 vs the 300. Also, peak power at a lower RPM will make the 300 FEEL strong as well.
Let me add detail:
CBR300R
22.7 kW @ 8500 RPM (30.43 bhp)
27.0 Nm torque at 7250 RPM
CBR250R
17.7 kW@9900 RPM
19.86 Nm @ 6750 RPM

bores are equal 76mm, strokes are 55 vs 63..both are 10.7:1 CR
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:08 PM   #6498
pandamanprod
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Greetings!

I'm 6' 3" 190lbs and both Seat Height and suspension were never really a problem for me. I have radically raised Bars, rather than a raised seat - that adjust's my seating position just fine, My knees are never too bent to cause concern. I also picked up a racetech rear shock, but just because I wanted something a little more performance oriented, it was a really good call. I'm not sure if anyone makes a longer rear shock, and most claim the suspension is solid for someone weighing 120, so you should be fine. Modifying the seat should not be too much of an issue.

As far as power - I got a Fuel Programmer and Exhaust pretty quickly. I remember before that, I was having trouble on Highway Hills in 6th Gear. A lot of guys have mentioned that the bike really needs a solid break in for the engine to really come into it's own. With those upgrades (and a new front sprocket) My bike really opened up power wise, and I can ride 2 up highway at 60 just fine.

My CRF feels pretty bulletproof. I'd ride that thing across the country. For long rides though, both bikes won't really get you farther than 90-100 Miles in terms of range.

If you don't think you'll be kicking yourself because you wanted the performance. Buy the CRF. No brainer. If you want to top end acceleration, an inch more suspension travel and higher seat. Buy the WRR. Both bikes will get you to the same place. The WRR (might) get you there faster.

If you get the CRF. An exhaust and a lithium ION Battery are two great Mods, HUGE Weight reduction up top - Near 20lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caelius View Post
Hello guys and girls,

after three years sans bike (used to drive a XT660 before) I finally decided to trade in my car for a motorcycle again. :) My original plan was to buy a WR250R but since they aren't sold here anymore and I'd really prefer to get a new bike, I started looking for alternatives... and finally fell in love with that lovely little CRF250L. Unfortunately, there are still two questions left, even after reading through the whole thread - and I'd be very thankful if some of you could answer them. :)

First of all, I'm not really on the short side: 6' in total with rather looong legs and therefore, the CRF's low seat height worries me quite a bit, especially since I always had some troubles with the XTs low seat. Is there a possibility to increase the seat height without completely messing up the CRF's handling? Will getting a higher seat (i.e. straight, without the dip) from a saddler and adjusting the shock's preload to lift her tail do the job? Or will I have to buy a completely new, longer rear shock?
I also read a lot of criticism about the (too) soft suspension, but given the fact that I'm only weighing around 140 lbs that shouldn't pose too much of a problem, will it?

Second: I really don't mind having only 22 hp since I don't enjoy going fast anyway - on the other hand, I don't want to be a traffic block either. It seems like she can reach 75 mph easily but what happens if two people are sitting on her? Is she still able to go at least 60 mph+ then, even with headwind? A nice little Yoshimura exhaust would be on top of my to-buy-list, so that could get me one or two extra hp.

The CRF will be my only vehicle and therefore she has to bring me from A to B all year long, regardless of whether it snows, rains or the sun shines bright. I need her to take me through tight city roads, >350 miles of highway and steep forest trails likewise without needing too much maintenance. Yeah, I know, a bigger bike would be better for the highway part but I really don't want anything above ~330 lbs. Also, the insurance fee is calculated based on the engine displacement here, so going for a small 250ccm DS is a no-brainer for me. :)

The thing is: As I said, I'd really love to get a new bike as used ones are always a matter of trust, especially since there are only a couple of WR around here and one has to take what's available. Also, I prefer the CRF's modern and aggressive optics over the WR's stringy ones hands down. But I'm a bit worried if it's going to get the job done for me or if I'd be better off buying a WR instead.

Your advice is appreciated very much. Thank you in advance! :)
caelius

(PS: Sorry if my English lacks at some points. I do my best, still.)
Old 10-29-2013, 08:57 PM   #6499
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel707 View Post
So does anybody know of any non-premium wheel manufacturers?

Any suggestions?

Edit: just ran one parts website and the 18's from honda are still adding up to 370ish, so maybe I'm just too frugal!
Several suggestions, not sure if the results will work.

Find a wrecked factory motard on ebay and salvage the wheels.
Realize this is not a cheap hobby.
Learn to lace your own wheels.

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:15 AM   #6500
mtbbker
MtbBiker

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16 View Post
Several suggestions, not sure if the results will work.

Find a wrecked factory motard on ebay and salvage the wheels.
Realize this is not a cheap hobby.
Learn to lace your own wheels.

David
I have heard yesterday from a Honda Agent (Here in S Africa) that Honda is bring out a SM version, probably only next year. Just be patient
mtbbker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:11 AM   #6501
koh kood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
[IMG][/IMG]
The motard version has been out here for about 6 months.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-30-2013, 02:14 AM   #6502
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
Quote:
Hello guys and girls,

after three years sans bike (used to drive a XT660 before) I finally decided to trade in my car for a motorcycle again. :) My original plan was to buy a WR250R but since they aren't sold here anymore and I'd really prefer to get a new bike, I started looking for alternatives... and finally fell in love with that lovely little CRF250L. Unfortunately, there are still two questions left, even after reading through the whole thread - and I'd be very thankful if some of you could answer them. :)

First of all, I'm not really on the short side: 6' in total with rather looong legs and therefore, the CRF's low seat height worries me quite a bit, especially since I always had some troubles with the XTs low seat. Is there a possibility to increase the seat height without completely messing up the CRF's handling? Will getting a higher seat (i.e. straight, without the dip) from a saddler and adjusting the shock's preload to lift her tail do the job? Or will I have to buy a completely new, longer rear shock?
I also read a lot of criticism about the (too) soft suspension, but given the fact that I'm only weighing around 140 lbs that shouldn't pose too much of a problem, will it?

Second: I really don't mind having only 22 hp since I don't enjoy going fast anyway - on the other hand, I don't want to be a traffic block either. It seems like she can reach 75 mph easily but what happens if two people are sitting on her? Is she still able to go at least 60 mph+ then, even with headwind? A nice little Yoshimura exhaust would be on top of my to-buy-list, so that could get me one or two extra hp.

The CRF will be my only vehicle and therefore she has to bring me from A to B all year long, regardless of whether it snows, rains or the sun shines bright. I need her to take me through tight city roads, >350 miles of highway and steep forest trails likewise without needing too much maintenance. Yeah, I know, a bigger bike would be better for the highway part but I really don't want anything above ~330 lbs. Also, the insurance fee is calculated based on the engine displacement here, so going for a small 250ccm DS is a no-brainer for me. :)

The thing is: As I said, I'd really love to get a new bike as used ones are always a matter of trust, especially since there are only a couple of WR around here and one has to take what's available. Also, I prefer the CRF's modern and aggressive optics over the WR's stringy ones hands down. But I'm a bit worried if it's going to get the job done for me or if I'd be better off buying a WR instead.

caelius

I'm 5' 9", and the bike seems to fit me well, though I'm a bit heavier @ 165. Here is an ergonomic site where you can compare how you will be on a bunch of different bikes. You can change the height and inseam to yours. You can also see what happens by adding bar risers and such. I agree with the others, the CRF seems bullet proof. I'm at 7,900 miles, no problems. Good luck with your decision. http://cycle-ergo.com/

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:56 AM   #6503
caelius
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Hello,

thank you for the fast and friendly responses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjustj View Post
where you are, and experience as a rider.
I'm from Tyrol, Austria - a lot of mountains, hills and highways here. :) I'd say that I got a decent amount of experience as I rode the XT for nearly 18.000 miles in about two and a half years - including all kinds of terrain, weather, speeds, distances etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamanprod
If you get the CRF. An exhaust and a lithium ION Battery are two great Mods, HUGE Weight reduction up top - Near 20lbs.
Thanks for all those advices!. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB
Good luck with your decision. http://cycle-ergo.com/
Thank you for the URL, much appreciated! Bulletproof sounds good, the bike will have to last for at least some years and 35.000 miles+.
caelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:47 AM   #6504
ATLKLR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
I'm 6'3" 215lbs and the bike is fine for me. I use more for commuting but have taken it on forest service roads and kept up with may other types of bikes. This bike will care two people, especially if it is you and a girl, without any issue.

I'd recommend to get a rack over your rear fender. That would allow you to get more use as the CRF250L would be your only mode of transportation. I'd highly recommend Manracks.com.

Range could be the reason you don't get this bike. It has a small tank and will get you around 100 miles. If you need more, just find a different bike than these two you are looking at.

Price, comfort, style, etc. this is a great bike.

PS the Seat Concepts seat upgrade is a higher class than the OEM seat. It is so much more comfortable! I'd recommend this your first upgrade over the exhaust. 2" Rox Risers will also give you more comfort.

Quote:
Hello guys and girls,

caelius

ATLKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:36 AM   #6505
Schrauberklaus
***ifyer

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
Reference here: http://www.partspitstop.com/oemparts...nkshaft-piston
The crank/rod comes as a unit. Pretty reasonable price, $182 (for the 250L). USA will probably be the last to have the 300 available, so our fellow inmates in the far east/Europe will have first access, no doubt. Labor involved is just love, (at first $troke).
Just compare the US Prices to Thai Prices i know .
Guess the Crank will cost here not more then 60 USD .

Just buy the Tank with all trims and all Plastik Parts (except front and rear Fender) Clips and Bolts and so on and a front Break Disk for 60 USD
Honda XR 280 R Sumo 04 , Honda XR 250 Baja 98
Yamaha Speed MX ( 2 Stroke ) 01 ,CRF250L 13
Schrauberklaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:10 AM   #6506
Lapchik
Tinkeritis posterboy

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel707 View Post
So does anybody know of any non-premium wheel manufacturers? I wouldn't mind converting to a supermoto set-up and keep the stock wheels for the sand dunes. I definitely don't want two sets of 21/18's, however. I know comparing car to bike wheel's aren't the same due to construction and demand, but you can get road fairing car wheels for 1/5 the cost of warp 9's. Makes me think of bicycle prices and how people are willing to pay 5k or more for a man powered bike! Another possibility that I haven't seen mentioned, nor have I checked measurements, would be buying two more 18's from honda and running that set-up as some xt250's have done. Would sure as hell be a lot cheaper than some warp 9's I would think, but would have to buy the hubs and brakes as well for the front.

Any suggestions?

Edit: just ran one parts website and the 18's from honda are still adding up to 370ish, so maybe I'm just too frugal!

If you buy all Honda parts to make another set of rims with all the brakes and sprockets and everything so you can just swap them in and out with another pair, it is just over $740 but then you have to lace the wheels to the hubs yourself.
Lapchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:22 AM   #6507
Bksports88
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Handle Bar

Let me know how you like your new handlebars and handguards (please post pics haha) .. Im looking for a new handlebar myself and I have cycra bark busters too. I dont like them very much tho.

Appreciate the info,

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto-X Fil View Post
The stock CRF-250L handlebar is part number 53100-KZZ-305, and will run you $14.45 from Babbitt's. This is clearly a case of getting what you pay for, because it seems to be made of taffy:

Today I'm installing a Protaper SE bar with HDB Ultimate handguards and top clamp. My Cycra guards held up pretty well to the abuse that bent the bar, but the hardware was soft and I really want the HDB folding mirrors.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:29 AM   #6508
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,468
Caelius: Having ridden a little in Austria & some of the Tyrol, I am envious that you can ride there every day. I have a CRF here in the USA, and it is very nice totally unmodified. Just watch out for the rear brake....it breaks in slowly, and even then it is not great. The motard version might be nice for you as I never found many dirt roads in Austria.
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:01 AM   #6509
Auto-X Fil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bksports88 View Post
Let me know how you like your new handlebars and handguards (please post pics haha) .. Im looking for a new handlebar myself and I have cycra bark busters too. I dont like them very much tho.

Appreciate the info,

BK
Will do. I installed them Monday - here are the notes.

I wanted to pivot the bars forward a bit compared to stock. This meant that the HDB handguards didn't fit without a lot of bending. They are much stiffer than even a beefy guard like the Cycra, but they bent using a vice and some leverage, so I could get them installed.

Once in place, they are very solid. The hardware is typically soft stainess, but at least it's SS so it don't rust, and they are sized properly so they aren't prone to stripping.
Auto-X Fil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:27 PM   #6510
revolution337
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Hello inmates! My name is Mark and I've been lurking these parts for a couple months now, felt I should post up and introduce myself. I've had my 250L for about a year now and love it. Got a pretty good list of mods on the bike so far, and still have big plans for it. Here is how she sits now:

Looking forward to being a part of the community!
revolution337 is offline   Reply With Quote