User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2013, 08:47 PM   #6511
Weevrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Aux fuel

I am looking at some way to carry extra fuel for those longer trips. Bottles, Rotopax, etc. Any advise out there as to what works and what doesn't work.
I am concerned about weight up high that can affect bike handling.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:55 AM   #6512
Auto-X Fil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 551
I have the IMS tank, which is really nice. It's not a ton of extra fuel, but it extends my range to 150 miles of mixed terrain. It also gets rid of the stupid locking gas cap, and lets you delete the charcoal canister and solenoid.

When I need a little more fuel, I throw in a couple MSR fuel bottles. They are good for 12-15 miles per bottle, which is usually plenty to fix an "oh shit" moment and get me out of there. They mostly sit unused in the bottom of my bag, providing me with the confidence to cut my gas stops really close.

If you happen to own a Whisperlite Int'l stove and do overnight trips, you can make the bottle full of 87 octane do double-duty, for your cooking fuel and back-up gas.

If you think you need more than 200 miles between fill-ups, the Rotopax are really the only option, unless you want to just strap a gas can to the fender. The Manracks some with an optional Rotopax mount plate, so that's the cleanest install going, I think. I haven't ridden with a Rotopax setup, but I have ridden with a 2gal can strapped to the fender. I didn't notice any handing change.
Auto-X Fil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:06 AM   #6513
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,443
Wolfman luggage has side racks to take rotopax fuel tanks....http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/index....ategory_id=103

Not inexpensive but it lowers the CG some. It's one of the few setups that allows the tanks to sit upright with the fill cap up and to the rear....for folks like me who worry that the cap might loosen up. Since the racks do double duty, overall i.t's probably better value than the replacement tank
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:27 AM   #6514
Auto-X Fil
Studly Adventurer

More of my CRF250L HDB handguard comments and photos here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=345

Old 10-31-2013, 10:29 AM   #6515
Kray
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto-X Fil View Post

I was waiting for someone to do this! Excellent!

On my to-do list for sure. Whats the best way to purchase them from HDB, call?
What size top mount did you go with, and can you post a full view from the front and side of your bike to get a better idea how they look?

Edit: also noticed your grips do not match. Care to splain?

Kray screwed with this post 10-31-2013 at 10:39 AM
Kray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:35 AM   #6516
battlecattle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
I also have been delaying the HDB stuff, maybe I should just do it.
2014 CRF250L
battlecattle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:37 AM   #6517
Kray
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebiter View Post
I'd appreciate it if you Took your credit card and crf250l opinions back to thumpertalk, this thread is for people who actually plan on using their bikes in the real world, not for just bar hopping.
Wanna bar hop? Buy a Harley..
late to the party but this made me laugh. Gnarth and Positron are some of the nicest guys and own a large wealth of knowledge when it comes to CRF250L details. I single them out because I see them on TT a lot and they've gone out of their way to help me in my research/learning. I guess you were just having a bad day when you wrote this. It happens.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:41 AM   #6518
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by battlecattle View Post
For you folks who are fairly new here, you may not know about Lost Rider's thread. He put HDB on Nancy's bike. Not sure if it's on his thread, have a look. Speaking of Lost, we haven't heard from him since he said he was going to Baja.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=859691

And Ramz' site is helpful.

http://www.rickramsey.net/CRF250Lmods.htm

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf

SAPB screwed with this post 10-31-2013 at 10:46 AM
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:48 AM   #6519
Kray
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
For you folks who are fairly new here, you may not know about Lost Rider's thread. He put HDB on Nancy's bike. Not sure if it's on his thread, have a look. Speaking of Lost, we haven't heard from him since he said he was going to Baja.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=859691
Thanks for the info, SAPB. A quick search didn't yield any HDB results. I've been through his thread a few times and don't remember seeing anything about them. You're right though, he's been MIA for a hot minute. Hope all is well.

One of the tricky aspects of the Advrider's CRF250L repository is that it's all inline to this single thread. Can get tricky to keep up and search for information as opposed to other forums who dedicate a subfolder to the CRF250L model. Not sure why I'm pointing this out. Maybe due to the incredible amount of sugar coursing through my veins today.

Happy Halloween, ya crazies!
Old 10-31-2013, 10:50 AM   #6520
tilliejacques
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Quote:

did you get the LED turn signals in the handguards? I can't quite see if the stock turn signals are there. If you *do* have the HDB integrated turn signals, do they flash very fast?

thanks!
tilliejacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:53 AM   #6521
Kray
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilliejacques View Post
did you get the LED turn signals in the handguards? I can't quite see if the stock turn signals are there. If you *do* have the HDB integrated turn signals, do they flash very fast?

thanks!
I don't think they are turn signal guards. See the little weird imprint on the top inside corner of the plastic? That's where the LED turns slip in. You'd see a wire and turns in that area. Plus you can still see his stock turns on the bike. Look at the passenger side brake line and headlight plastic.

Photo: http://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/HDB_...Shields_04.jpg
Old 10-31-2013, 10:56 AM   #6522
Auto-X Fil
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kray View Post
On my to-do list for sure. Whats the best way to purchase them from HDB, call?
If you want to get the SE bars, yes, call or email. If you want the 1 1/8" Contour Bars, you can get to that option on their webpage. They sell adapters to put the fat bars on, or you can use Rox risers or other adapters.

Quote:
What size top mount did you go with,
100x33/35mm is correct for mounting 7/8" bars to the stock triple clamp. Note that if you go with 1 1/8" bars, you'll need the 38/40mm top clamp size to fit the bigger bars. If you use the HDB riser/adapter, 100mm will still be correct. If you get Rox risers, the 106mm is the correct width, since they move the top clamps out a little bit.

Quote:
can you post a full view from the front and side of your bike to get a better idea how they look?
Sure, I'll do that later.

Quote:
Edit: also noticed your grips do not match. Care to splain?
Those are the stock grips - I just didn't rotate the left one around the bar the way it was from the factory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlecattle View Post
Yep.

I totally forgot about one fairly major caveat: on the CRF250L, the key will BARELY go into the ignition with the standard top clamp. You can either cut/machine the top clamp down, or trim the key. I chopped a little bit off my key to make it fit. You could also work with HDB to have them machine a custom one for you - I can provide the measurements if someone wants to do that.

They key should NOT interfere if you have risers, because you'll just be able to fit the key under the top clamp. It'll still be a little bit of an awkward reach to get the key in, unless you machine the top clamp.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:56 AM   #6523
Auto-X Fil
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilliejacques View Post

thanks!
I did not get them. I'll add them on later if/when I rip off the stock signals in a crash.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:58 AM   #6524
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,402
Quote:
Thanks for the info, SAPB. A quick search didn't yield any HDB results. I've been through his thread a few times and don't remember seeing anything about them. You're right though, he's been MIA for a hot minute. Hope all is well.

One of the tricky aspects of the Advrider's CRF250L repository is that it's all inline to this single thread. Can get tricky to keep up and search for information as opposed to other forums who dedicate a subfolder to the CRF250L model. Not sure why I'm pointing this out. Maybe due to the incredible amount of sugar coursing through my veins today.

Happy Halloween, ya crazies!
You munchin' on the Halloween candy, that's for the kids! I know it takes a lot of time to go back to the start of this thread, for the new folks. I did, to make a decision about whether I was going to join the club. Lots of good stuff back there, if you've got the time. Yeah, Lost was recovering from when his Husa was taking a nap, hope everything is good.

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:09 AM   #6525
Kray
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
If you want to get the SE bars, yes, call or email. If you want the 1 1/8" Contour Bars, you can get to that option on their webpage. They sell adapters to put the fat bars on, or you can use Rox risers or other adapters.

100x33/35mm is correct for mounting 7/8" bars to the stock triple clamp. Note that if you go with 1 1/8" bars, you'll need the 38/40mm top clamp size to fit the bigger bars. If you use the HDB riser/adapter, 100mm will still be correct. If you get Rox risers, the 106mm is the correct width, since they move the top clamps out a little bit.

Sure, I'll do that later.

Those are the stock grips - I just didn't rotate the left one around the bar the way it was from the factory.

Yep.

I totally forgot about one fairly major caveat: on the CRF250L, the key will BARELY go into the ignition with the standard top clamp. You can either cut/machine the top clamp down, or trim the key. I chopped a little bit off my key to make it fit. You could also work with HDB to have them machine a custom one for you - I can provide the measurements if someone wants to do that.

They key should NOT interfere if you have risers, because you'll just be able to fit the key under the top clamp. It'll still be a little bit of an awkward reach to get the key in, unless you machine the top clamp.
Auto-X Fil, thanks for breaking this down so nicely. It never occurred to think about the key issue. I'm only 5'6", so I wanted to avoid risers if possible. Maybe I'll just put them on anyway.