Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2013, 11:12 AM   #6526
battlecattle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Could you also get a picture of the key area?
2014 CRF250L
battlecattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:12 AM   #6527
Auto-X Fil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
FYI, I believe that HDB will machine a custom top clamp for less money than adding risers. I wouldn't compromise fit for the key issue. I'll take a photo of the clearance later.
Auto-X Fil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:57 PM   #6528
Auto-X Fil
Studly Adventurer

Some photos of the bike:

And they key issue. As you can see, it's really just the extension of the top clamp where HDB allows for mounting accessories that's the issue, so you could easily remove enough material to make the key fit.

There's plenty of room under it, so risers would let you get the key in. But, it would still be a little awkward to reach the key under the top clamp, unless you used Rox risers and tilted them back to give more access.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:33 PM   #6529
gnath9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kray View Post
late to the party but this made me laugh. Gnarth and Positron are some of the nicest guys and own a large wealth of knowledge when it comes to CRF250L details. I single them out because I see them on TT a lot and they've gone out of their way to help me in my research/learning. I guess you were just having a bad day when you wrote this. It happens.
I believe he truly does not like me one bit because .... I only ride trails with my 12 year old on his 80 ... soon to be upgraded to a brand new 150 !!! And I also buzz it around town. I may talk a big drinking game but, honestly I don't drink much although I do drink often.It is kinda hard to call it bar hopin when I always stop at the same bar. He also does not know that I am building this bike to keep up with the 150 in the woods next year and when my boy turns 15 and gets his learners permit one of us (probably me) will get a new bike so we can ride together on the street as well. (he will be on the 250)
One of the many fine benefits of being a single full time father is .... we can buy stuff like this and big TV's and xbox's etc .....
He also said crap about me not working on my own stuff and to take my credit card back to TT.
I have a house and a yard to take care of and just do not have the time but, I do have the money so .... why not pay a pro to do it right, while I'm at work.
Right now my bike is in the shop getting a 305 kit installed ... next on the list is a Scotts damper

we all have different needs and wants ... I want good memories with my son

I guess I better run back out of his hood before he shows up ........ Braaaaaapppp brapp brapp.
gnath9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:26 PM   #6530
revolution337
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Anybody running heated grips on their LRP? If so, what brand/how did you go about installing. Ideal switch location?
revolution337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:54 PM   #6531
Bolty
Señor Member

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by revolution337 View Post
Anybody running heated grips on their LRP? If so, what brand/how did you go about installing. Ideal switch location?
Not running heated grips on my CRF, I've got the Oxford ones on my Africa Twin and in the past two winters that I've run the bike through I did notice that the ends of my fingers were still cold (sometimes painfully so) so I thought that I'd try heated gloves, I'm using the Powerlet RapidFIRe ones but it's too soon to say if they are any better than the grips because the cold hasn't really arrived here yet. I've only used them twice so far just to try them out and the heat that they can give off is incredible, painful if they're whacked up to full power so I've got high hopes for them.

both times that I've used them I've had to faff around with the cables but I'm fairly sure that this is just because I'm not used to them.

I think that the gloves use slightly less power than heated grips too which may be handy for our little bikes!

Does anyone know how much extra power we have available from the charging system?
Bolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:58 PM   #6532
battlecattle
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolty View Post

Does anyone know how much extra power we have available from the charging system?
We have a lot of power. Easily enough for heated gloves, jacket, gps, and cell charger.
2014 CRF250L
Old 10-31-2013, 05:14 PM   #6533
Bolty
Señor Member

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by battlecattle View Post
We have a lot of power. Easily enough for heated gloves, jacket, gps, and cell charger.
I'm talking about available power for accessories not total power output BTW, heated jacket and gloves could take 130 watts, a couple of LED lights could take a further 20 watts, the gps and phone charger wouldn't tale more than an amp between then so add another 12 watts to the total, could mean a flat battery at some point...

Just done a bit of Googling...

looking at this link: http://www.powerlet.com/shop-by-vehi...present/10/879
it only gives one star for excess electrical capacity, no numbers but the lowest mark they could give, and RickRamsey reckons it's 337W http://www.rickramsey.net/WR250RvsCRF250L.htm so we don't have masses of power to play with!
Bolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:35 PM   #6534
battlecattle
Gnarly Adventurer

I have an adventure bike with 400watts, and can run everything plus after swapping the headlight for LED.
2014 CRF250L
Old 10-31-2013, 07:07 PM   #6535
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolty View Post
Not running heated grips on my CRF, I've got the Oxford ones on my Africa Twin and in the past two winters that I've run the bike through I did notice that the ends of my fingers were still cold (sometimes painfully so) so I thought that I'd try heated gloves, I'm using the Powerlet RapidFIRe ones but it's too soon to say if they are any better than the grips because the cold hasn't really arrived here yet.
Do you have the little heated gloves that run of AA or rechargeable batteries over there? My outdoors buddy's like them, and if I didn't get heated grips it would be the option I would pursue.

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:53 PM   #6536
Weevrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Heated grips

I have a set of the oxford heated grips and love them. I wear heavy leather gloves and only need the 50 percent setting or less to stay toasty warm. I do have Barkbusters though to cut down the wind chill. The switch is mounted on the left rear view mirror hold down bolts.
I have the same grips on my Strom and they work just as well.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:57 PM   #6537
Weevrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Extra fuel carrying options

Does somebody know who is making side racks for the CRF250l. Wolfman appears to have stopped making them and I am looking for something simple like they used to make that are not part of the top rack.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:18 AM   #6538
Lapchik
Tinkeritis posterboy

Oddometer: 251
Does the IMS tank change the angle of the front of the seat?

Lapchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:04 AM   #6539
Auto-X Fil
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weevrider View Post
Does somebody know who is making side racks for the CRF250l. Wolfman appears to have stopped making them and I am looking for something simple like they used to make that are not part of the top rack.
Check out the DirtBagz racks in the above photo.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:05 AM   #6540
Auto-X Fil
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapchik View Post
Does the IMS tank change the angle of the front of the seat?
Not that I noticed. I certainly didn't have to force it on to bend the front up more, or anything like that. Overall, the knee grip area is improved over stock. That plus the new bars really make it more comfortable in the attack position.