Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2013, 01:33 PM   #6736
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,285
[QUOTE=Bolty;22858682]Just had my CRF in for it's first service today, 728 miles done so far with a worst MPG (Imperial) of 53.3 which was 100% motorway at 70+MPH and a best of 85.85 which was nursing the bike at the posted 30, 40 & 60 speed limits with gentle acceleration and planning (I don't intend to repeat this because it wasn't any fun)
I bought the bike as a winter bike and to give my XRV750 a rest over the winter and also because it will be a hell of a lot easier to pick up when I have the inevitable off on the ice or snow that is on it's way and this past week was the first week of commuting on the bike, they've just started spreading salt on the roads over here and I noticed yesterday when washing the bike that the spokes are looking pretty crappy with the first signs of tarnishing and I wondered if anyone else has noticed the same? I wouldn't expect stainless spokes on this bike but I would expect that they'd still be looking like new.

I'll run it through the winter and most likely get the wheels re-spoked with stainless ones with good old fashioned brass nipples come the better weather.

One other thing, has anyone noticed that the bike was a bit quicker on acceleration after the service? Of course if the valves were not opening as much as they should be and when it was re-shimmed they were now opening for longer/or just opening more than they were then this could maybe explain it but on the other hand I could just be imagining it!

Bring on the winter!

Not the CRF, but another bike, took it for a ride on a warm day, but with a lot of snow melt/salt in the snow banks. Aluminum is not holding up so much with salt on there. Hose it off after all over, including where it flings up in the fender wells. The steel isn't liking salt any more than the aluminum, but the paint can keep some of it at bay. I think Turk had rust problems, the bolts can rust, and spread to the frame. I think if you have waxed the rims/spokes it would work out better. Steel wool the spokes, and wax, way cheaper than replacement.

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:57 PM   #6737
Bolty
Señor Member

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
Not the CRF, but another bike, took it for a ride on a warm day, but with a lot of snow melt/salt in the snow banks. Aluminum is not holding up so much with salt on there. Hose it off after all over, including where it flings up in the fender wells. The steel isn't liking salt any more than the aluminum, but the paint can keep some of it at bay. I think Turk had rust problems, the bolts can rust, and spread to the frame. I think if you have waxed the rims/spokes it would work out better. Steel wool the spokes, and wax, way cheaper than replacement.
I hear you but I'm not willing to fanny around with the spokes every time I wash the bike so I will get stainless ones next year, there is a local wheel builder here that has done a few wheels for me in the past, he'll charge me £80 per wheel all in.
Today after the service I did the first winterisation (is that a word!) on the bike, I gave all the plastics a wax and buff and gave all the metalwork a good old coating of ACF50 (including a decent amount of over spray on the exhaust so it'll be a smelly old ride to work tomorrow) I've used a rag soaked in the same stuff and wiped it on the rims, spokes and nipples too which is what I've done with the other bike over the last two winters and it's kept corrosion at bay which isn't bad to say that it's approaching 17 years old and the metalwork, whilst in good condition, is obviously nothing like a new bike.
Bolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:09 PM   #6738
lwood10
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weevrider View Post
Interesting,
Did you get pivoting risers or the standard blocks? I am 6 ft 195 lbs and have to stretch when standing up for the handlebars. After reading your post, maybe this might be something I should look into. I too wish to keep the stock bars as my riding style is more light trails, dirt roads, forest roads, etc. I have oxford heated grips and this helped to swell the grips.
Andrew
This is what I ordered:

RoxSpeed FX Elite 2" Pivoting Motorcycle Risers. As I said it was a great improvement for me. I didn't do any cable adjustment, just bolted in the risers.

And I am like you in terrain. Exclusively forest service gravel roads and pavement.

Also, if you haven't already check this thread out; http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=859691

lwood10 screwed with this post 11-25-2013 at 04:15 PM
lwood10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:57 AM   #6739
lccpmj
Totes amaze balls

Oddometer: 13
Spokes and winter

Hi Bolty,
I used the CRF all last winter to commute, and my spokes were tarnished/rusted straight away. They haven't got any worse though since the initial corrosion. All I did was make sure I washed the bike every weekend. Sometimes the salt was a crusted layer over the engine and had to be scrubbed off with a stiff brush!! Apart from the spokes, I was surprised how well the CRF stood up to the rigours of winter.
lccpmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:21 AM   #6740
Jim331656
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
[QUOTE=SAPB;22858864]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolty View Post

One other thing, has anyone noticed that the bike was a bit quicker on acceleration after the service? Of course if the valves were not opening as much as they should be and when it was re-shimmed they were now opening for longer/or just opening more than they were then this could maybe explain it but on the other hand I could just be imagining it!
I don't think so! Mine felt the same way as did my quad. Don't know if it was just the new oil or it was all loosened up but they both felt like they reved faster.
Jim331656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:52 AM   #6741
pandamanprod
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Rox Risers

I'm still recovering from the sale of my LRP, I miss her. But I fully agree, In fact I went with both 3.5 inch rox risers, and Hi Bars - I'm 6' 3" and it was a critical upgrade. I felt way more comfortable. I would add in the next big thing, seat upgrade - HUGE improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwood10 View Post
This is what I ordered:

RoxSpeed FX Elite 2" Pivoting Motorcycle Risers. As I said it was a great improvement for me. I didn't do any cable adjustment, just bolted in the risers.

And I am like you in terrain. Exclusively forest service gravel roads and pavement.

Also, if you haven't already check this thread out; http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=859691
Old 11-26-2013, 10:52 AM   #6742
Soldier311
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 835
[QUOTE=Jim331656;22864655]
Quote:

I don't think so! Mine felt the same way as did my quad. Don't know if it was just the new oil or it was all loosened up but they both felt like they reved faster.
If it was the new oil....um, you've got problems.....
Soldier311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:08 PM   #6743
Bolty
Señor Member

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by lccpmj View Post
Hi Bolty,
I used the CRF all last winter to commute, and my spokes were tarnished/rusted straight away. They haven't got any worse though since the initial corrosion. All I did was make sure I washed the bike every weekend. Sometimes the salt was a crusted layer over the engine and had to be scrubbed off with a stiff brush!! Apart from the spokes, I was surprised how well the CRF stood up to the rigours of winter.
Noted ICCPMJ, noted
I'll be using ACF50 slathering it all over the engine so with a bit of luck muck wont stick and I generally wash the bike once a week and re-apply (which isn't what they say you should do but there's no way I could not wash the crud away (it just seems wrong!)
What were the tyres like in the snow BTW? Aggressive enough?
Bolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:11 PM   #6744
DirtyBlackIrish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
[QUOTE=revolution337;22853236]I installed my IMS tank with a flatland racing radiator guard. The rear "arm" of the radiator guard just barely contacts the tank when I install everything. It isn't enough for me to worry about it. I just placed a few strips of elecrical tape on the radiator guard where is contacts the tank. Its only about a 1.5" area that contacts. Hope this helps

edit: Heres the best picture I was able to take of it. I have the aluminum rad guard wrapped in electrical tape, so you can see where the black of the tape is comtacting the black of the tank....maybe?

Thanks revolution337! Just what I was looking for. I guess we'll see in the long run right! I'll take a pic when I get mine on as well for comparison.
Old 11-30-2013, 03:23 PM   #6745
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,409
Wolfman side racks for CRF250L are no longer listed on their website. I further heard a rumor they were discontinued. I this true or false? I also seem to recall that when I was thinking about the racks early this spring they were actually made by someone else. Can anyone comment?
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 04:23 PM   #6746
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
Wolfman side racks for CRF250L are no longer listed on their website. I further heard a rumor they were discontinued. I this true or false? I also seem to recall that when I was thinking about the racks early this spring they were actually made by someone else. Can anyone comment?
I remember a while back, one of our fellow inmates from UK posting he got one of the last set made. A shame, it was on my "back burner" of stuff to get. Not going to be on the winter project stuff.............

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=6570

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 04:55 PM   #6747
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,409
Quote:
I remember a while back, one of our fellow inmates from UK posting he got one of the last set made. A shame, it was on my "back burner" of stuff to get. Not going to be on the winter project stuff.............

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=6570
Thanks....but it sucks!
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 06:25 PM   #6748
wolftrax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
The racks were made by BRMoto and yes they are discontinued. I think Revzilla may have a set or two left.
wolftrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 06:30 PM   #6749
vfrpaul98
n00b

Oddometer: 7
wolfman side racks crf250l

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/w...-racks-crf250l
Paul
vfrpaul98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:58 PM   #6750
PadrePoint
A New Rider

Oddometer: 4
Around the World (on a CRF250L)

I am letting my son use my CRF250L this winter (I live in Wisconsin; he lives where there is sometimes decent riding weather in winter). I think he's getting "hooked" and he just sent me a link that he finds interesting (it is a blog by a person preparing her new CRF250L for an around the world venture).

Steph's Diaries - Bikers Guide to the Galaxy

Leaving on the 27th March 2014 Steph will leave her home in North Wales and attempt to circumnavigate the globe visiting at least 42 countries and hitting at least 6 continents. Steph aims to do this in 15 months to 2 years avoiding all motorways and main roads and living mainly in her two man tent with only the things she can carry on her bike (a CRF250L).
PadrePoint is offline   Reply With Quote