User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2012, 02:50 PM   #691
streaks77
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Pulled the trigger

Got my new CRF250L about two weeks ago and love it! Didn't have a chance to take it off road until yesterday, but was really impressed how it handled in dirt and loose gravel. So impressed, in fact, that I had to just keep riding until I got myself in trouble in a bit of mud ... But 90 minutes later, a few light scratches, and a whole lot of sweating got it out of there. Couple lessons learned, don't go near wet areas if you are riding by yourself, and I hate mud!!! I was cleaning mud out of every crevice on me and the bike for an hour or two

Bottom line, I had a great time, felt like the bike never let me down and had plenty of power to get me through some gnarly rocky uphill sections and was great going through some fairly tight technical trails... Ricochet skid plate and Acerbis hand guards on the way.

By the way, what are folks carrying as bare bones tool kits? My two Allen keys are not gonna cut it! I'd like to keep it to the minimum to use the existing toolbox. Also, any recommendations on spare tubes (brand/website)?

streaks77 screwed with this post 10-28-2012 at 03:22 PM
streaks77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:40 PM   #692
StupidDogCoffee
IGNORE THIS TEXT

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.cornelius View Post
Anyone checked out either of these two sites?

This one has a nice tail rack and some pannier options, even a windscreen for the 250l.:

http://www.tciproductsusa.com

This one has a exhaust kit that claims to add 3 to 5bhp.

http://bestdualsportbikes.com
After a 40 mile ride home in 40f rain that windscreen is looking mighty attractive. Does anyone have any prior experience with this company's windscreens?
StupidDogCoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:04 PM   #693
Bake
adventurer

Oddometer: 10,515
80% finished on my aluminum luggage plate. It will be carrying my Wolfman tool pak. and my 1 gallon Rotopax fuel container using the Rotopax mount. 3 birds with one stone. Extend the range to 210 miles, check. Bring along a spare tube and tire irons and a patch kit and co2 inflator sets, check.
, Alternatively, just use the aluminum plate to pack onto, like a cooler or a backpack.
Pics this week of my prototype.

Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:15 PM   #694
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bake View Post
80% finished on my aluminum luggage plate. It will be carrying my Wolfman tool pak. and my 1 gallon Rotopax fuel container using the Rotopax mount. 3 birds with one stone. Extend the range to 210 miles, check. Bring along a spare tube and tire irons and a patch kit and co2 inflator sets, check.
, Alternatively, just use the aluminum plate to pack onto, like a cooler or a backpack.
I'm interested.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:44 PM   #695
roundtripping
Adventourist

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bake View Post
Always great to see inmates working on stuff! Will be fun to see what you've come up with, Bake

My SPOT Tracker
roundtripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:10 AM   #696
Wargasm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Shocking

The shock is a PITA, it has to be taken right out to do any adjustments to it, which in and of itself isn't very difficult, just rather inconvenient. It is also a "budget" item, hopefully one of the suspender companies comes out with a replacement spring, can't see it being revalved, it would have to be cut open......I think it's been awhile since I had it out. I imagine of of the aftermarket suspension companies will soon figure out that one of their other products is a direct bolt on replacement for the CRFL rear shock and start listing it, preferably one with adjustable dampening, and maybe remote preload adjustment......pretty please.

Mines been running strong, nearly 1500km so far. It's been crashed hard a couple times and has held up well. The other new Ricochet plate arrived last week and got installed today, I can see the improvement, will take it for a spin today and see if it still has that rattle around 60km/h, may need to squeeze some rubber in there somewhere.

The GiantLoop Mojavi bags fit good and hold my new compressor, tire irons, spare front and rear tubes, couple of bungee cords and a ratchet strap, plus the stock tool kit with some uprated tools in the tool pouch. I'll be jamming a spare MSR fuel bottle in there today and maybe a first aid/emergency kit to test for fit, looks good though. Still waiting on the Pro-Taper conversion clamps and high rise bars. The really, really high rise ATV bars are comfy both sitting and standing, but the brace had to be removed to accommodate the handguards, this made me nervous as the bars flexed quite a bit without the brace, risking a hard hit would be pushing it a bit too much. Winder if I can fit a man rack and the Bags on at the same time, that would be handy....hmm........

13T sprocket was also installed and seems to have made a significant difference. This got me to wondering though. There's no speed sensor pick up on the front or back wheel or behind the drive sprocket so where the hell is it, in the tranny. This means that the speedo will be out, significantly, when changing sprockets, it doesn't mean much to me as I speed everywhere I go anyway, but if you're ticket conscious then be warned. I can't see this being remedied with anything but one of those plug and play speedo healers.......anybody?

Lastly tires.......I need some advice. I'd say I need an 80 dirt 20 road tire. Road tires I know about, but dirt tires are a new beastie for me. I guy I work with says the Shinko 244s have server him well on his KLX250. Anyone have any experience with them. The IRCs are far from being worn out, but a high speed hit, resulting in double flats, has left the rear with a nasty gash in it and a scratched headlight and bent peg mount and tweaked bars, tweaked rims, scratched helmet, bruised pride etc. So I need new shoes.......how important is it for fronts and rears to match when doing 80-90% dirt, I know on the road it can get weird with mismatched tires, is this true in the dirt as well????

Wargasm screwed with this post 10-29-2012 at 05:16 AM
Wargasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:56 AM   #697
Red_dog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargasm;
I can't see this being remedied with anything but one of those plug and play speedo healers???
12oclocklabs is your friend. and RAMZ's web page lol
Red_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:57 AM   #698
joec63 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
With respect to the speed sensor Ramz has already hashed that out, among other things.
http://www.rickramsey.net/CRF250Lmods.htm#speedodrd

I haven't checked but would be surprised there isn't currently a replacement shock already being manufactured. May not be designated so but wouldn't think this to be an odd size. This is a parts bin bike for the most part.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:44 AM   #699
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargasm View Post
Lastly tires.......I need some advice. I'd say I need an 80 dirt 20 road tire. Road tires I know about, but dirt tires are a new beastie for me. I guy I work with says the Shinko 244s have server him well on his KLX250. Anyone have any experience with them. The IRCs are far from being worn out, but a high speed hit, resulting in double flats, has left the rear with a nasty gash in it and a scratched headlight and bent peg mount and tweaked bars, tweaked rims, scratched helmet, bruised pride etc. So I need new shoes.......how important is it for fronts and rears to match when doing 80-90% dirt, I know on the road it can get weird with mismatched tires, is this true in the dirt as well????
I have Kenda 761's on my bike. I like them. Pretty good in the dirt and a much better road ride.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:42 AM   #700
itrack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
The shock is a PITA, it has to be taken right out to do any adjustments to it, which in and of itself isn't very difficult, just rather inconvenient. It is also a "budget" item, hopefully one of the suspender companies comes out with a replacement spring, can't see it being revalved, it would have to be cut open......I think it's been awhile since I had it out. I imagine of of the aftermarket suspension companies will soon figure out that one of their other products is a direct bolt on replacement for the CRFL rear shock and start listing it, preferably one with adjustable dampening, and maybe remote preload adjustment......pretty please.

Mines been running strong, nearly 1500km so far. It's been crashed hard a couple times and has held up well. The other new Ricochet plate arrived last week and got installed today, I can see the improvement, will take it for a spin today and see if it still has that rattle around 60km/h, may need to squeeze some rubber in there somewhere.

The GiantLoop Mojavi bags fit good and hold my new compressor, tire irons, spare front and rear tubes, couple of bungee cords and a ratchet strap, plus the stock tool kit with some uprated tools in the tool pouch. I'll be jamming a spare MSR fuel bottle in there today and maybe a first aid/emergency kit to test for fit, looks good though. Still waiting on the Pro-Taper conversion clamps and high rise bars. The really, really high rise ATV bars are comfy both sitting and standing, but the brace had to be removed to accommodate the handguards, this made me nervous as the bars flexed quite a bit without the brace, risking a hard hit would be pushing it a bit too much. Winder if I can fit a man rack and the Bags on at the same time, that would be handy....hmm........

13T sprocket was also installed and seems to have made a significant difference. This got me to wondering though. There's no speed sensor pick up on the front or back wheel or behind the drive sprocket so where the hell is it, in the tranny. This means that the speedo will be out, significantly, when changing sprockets, it doesn't mean much to me as I speed everywhere I go anyway, but if you're ticket conscious then be warned. I can't see this being remedied with anything but one of those plug and play speedo healers.......anybody?

I'm with you on the rear shock. I've tried contacting JRI and a few other companies with no luck yet. I also contacted racetech about stiffer springs with no luck. I also second the Shinko 244 as a great tire for 80/20. I liked them so much I'm sticking to Shinko but trying the 241 trials tires front and rear this time. 3.0 front 4.0 rear.
itrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:29 AM   #701
itrack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Here are a few pics from the ride Sunday.

itrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:15 AM   #702
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,344
Shinko 244's are good tires, but for 80% dirt, I might go with something more agressive.
You can deal with knobby's on the street, but in mud and sand, the bigger tread blocks of a dot knobby pay off big time.
Or, you can go as wide as will fit on the 244's and air them down a bit.
I would rate the 244's as a 50/50 tire.
NJ-Brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:32 AM   #703
SugarDust
Kulia i ka nu'u

Oddometer: 827
Quote:

I don't think it matters for mostly dirt riding - I'ves used Knobbie/trials combinations before. However I put on a set of Dunlop 606s on my CRF - they are great. - One thing you should consider is putting heavy duty tubes in there as well.

2013 KTM 250 XC-W
2013 Honda CRF250L
2011 BMW F650GS

SugarDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:00 PM   #704
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
Shinko 244's are good tires, but for 80% dirt, I might go with something more agressive.
You can deal with knobby's on the street, but in mud and sand, the bigger tread blocks of a dot knobby pay off big time.
Or, you can go as wide as will fit on the 244's and air them down a bit.
I would rate the 244's as a 50/50 tire.
check out IRC tr8 front and shinko 244 rear combo.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:27 PM   #705
Bksports88
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
13 sprocket

Has anyone installed the 13 t sprocket from bestdualsportbikes.com ? And if so how much better is it. I am planning on buying all the parts from the performance package but individually. I want to install everything myself too and would love to watch someone do it first on YouTube.
Bksports88 is offline   Reply With Quote