Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 09:53 PM   #721
StupidDogCoffee
IGNORE THIS TEXT

Oddometer: 29
How does the 13t perform on the road, particularly at highway speeds?
StupidDogCoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:17 PM   #722
Kevinsterner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
Horsehoe Dam to Sheeps Bridge the hard way

Ok I have tried to post these before but I didn't know how to have them show up until I created a Flickr account.

This was a little trip I took about a month ago. It was supposed to be a short little ride to Horseshoe Dam and back. it turned out to be about 120 miles and 5 hours. I have seen other posts with people running this route, but I did it backwards. This made getting up to Sheeps Bridge a bitch. I went to Horseshoe Dam up to Sheeps Bridge on to fire road 24 and back to Cave Creek.

1981 Honda 750 F,1972 Yamaha 250, 1971 Hodaka
you can't fix stupid.
Kevinsterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:18 PM   #723
itrack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Flagger View Post
After receiving some suggestions from the boys over in the 'Adventure in Ohio' thread in Regionals (thanks, boyz!), I pieced together a spring compressor for two exhaust flanges and some threaded rod.

Compressed the spring far enough to expose the lock nut buried under the spring seat and bump stop.

Then got it apart! Took a little bit of a soak in WD-40 to loosen things up ... but it's done.

Measurements taken so far:

Shock length (eye2eye, uncompressed): 15 9/16"

Travel to bump stop: 2 3/32"
Travel to hard stop: 3 3/16" (The hard stop is the lock nut.)

Spring free length: 9 13/16"
Spring diameter: 3"
Wire diameter: 0.475" (didn't scrape the paint off, however, so this is a little high)

What else should I do while I have this apart? Anything you guys want to know?

Ideally I'd find a stiffer spring before I put it back together. Any shops you can recommend for custom spring?
Yes can you measure both mounting ends, width OD, width ID, and hole sizes, I think we can retro fit CR250 double adjustable shocks if the measurments are close.
itrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:03 AM   #724
Bksports88
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargasm View Post
Don't they give a bit of a discount if you buy everything at once? The 13t is a noticeable improvement in trail performance.
The total price for the package is $850, and when you add all of the parts up individually it equals the same. I would think it would be a discounted price.
Bksports88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:20 PM   #725
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Manracks Utility Rack Photos

I finally got around to installing the rack today. It literally took 5 minutes. Everything fit perfectly. I don't have any pictures without the Rotopax adapter, but, you will get the idea. For day to day riding the adapter might be in the way, but it would be a quick matter of loosening the front bolts, removing the rear bolts and rotating it up to get to the adapter bolts. I'm very pleased with the quality of Mike's work.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:35 PM   #726
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by itrack View Post
Yes can you measure both mounting ends, width OD, width ID, and hole sizes, I think we can retro fit CR250 double adjustable shocks if the measurments are close.

Looked at some images of CR250 shocks .... all I saw were piggyback and remote reservoir styles .... not sure they'll fit. Send me one a remote reservoir version, however, and I'll try it.

Measurements:
- Lower mount hole size: 10mm
- Lower mount inner width: 30.85mm (the width of the mating portion of the link is 30mm, however)
- Lower mount outer width: 41mm

- Upper mount hole size: 10mm
- Upper mount width: 30mm

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:45 PM   #727
Wargasm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
I wonder if that manrack would work with my Giant Loop Mojave???? Hmmmmm.........
Wargasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:46 PM   #728
SugarDust
Kulia i ka nu'u

Oddometer: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by G19Tony View Post
I finally got around to installing the rack today. It literally took 5 minutes. Everything fit perfectly. I don't have any pictures without the Rotopax adapter, but, you will get the idea. For day to day riding the adapter might be in the way, but it would be a quick matter of loosening the front bolts, removing the rear bolts and rotating it up to get to the adapter bolts. I'm very pleased with the quality of Mike's work.
How do your wolfman bags fit with the rack?

2013 KTM 250 XC-W
2013 Honda CRF250L
2011 BMW F650GS

SugarDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:32 PM   #729
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarDust View Post
How do your wolfman bags fit with the rack?
I'm going to try and get them back on tomorrow.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:08 PM   #730
MrFurious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bksports88 View Post
Has anyone installed the 13 t sprocket from bestdualsportbikes.com ? And if so how much better is it. I am planning on buying all the parts from the performance package but individually. I want to install everything myself too and would love to watch someone do it first on YouTube.
I'd be a little leary of the HP claims with this kit. Below is their "supposed" dyno chart showing the HP gains on their website, but look at it closely. I'll give you a hint: upper left corner. See it? They show three curves markered in on the graph, but the actual printout only indicates two (green and red). Either they never did a third pull to validate their claims, or they did the third pull on a separate sheet and the results were so lack-luster they chose not to publish them. Thus Black = Bullshit

I probably wouldn't have caught it, but I found it rather odd they felt the need to go over the actual pull curves with red and blue markers even though the actual curves were clearly visible. Then I looked a little closer and noticed that no where along the black pull can you see anything from the original printed pull poking out from behind the marker. All they did was took the second chart they posted (below) and colored in a third make-bleieve pull to magically validate their claims.

MrFurious screwed with this post 10-31-2012 at 09:16 PM
MrFurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:15 PM   #731
espacef1fan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 678
I know everyone will say"Thats not what its for.." How does the CRF250L Compare to the KLX250S..stock for stock on the interstate. Actual numbers and rider weight/size and cargo lloads would b ehelpful too. I like th eprice of the CRF and it strikes me as everything I wanted from my KLX250 but didnt get...
espacef1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:16 AM   #732
Bake
adventurer

Oddometer: 10,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by espacef1fan View Post
I know everyone will say"Thats not what its for.." How does the CRF250L Compare to the KLX250S..stock for stock on the interstate. Actual numbers and rider weight/size and cargo lloads would b ehelpful too. I like th eprice of the CRF and it strikes me as everything I wanted from my KLX250 but didnt get...
My Honda handles perfectly on the street. My 07 klx had a very twitchy feel at anything over 35 mph and at 60 felt like it could go into a headshake at any second. A damned uneasy feeling at highway speeds. The Crf250L handles like its on rails, the complete opposite. My bike runs at 6000rpm and 60 mph, which is the torque peak, so it cruises easily.in every way, the Honda is very much more refined than the klx, having owned both, I think its better in every way. My plans are to go up one tooth on the countershaft sprocket. With a slip on muffler one of the big bore kits thats coming, my uses will be easy to accomplish. My riding is on improved and unimproved gravel roads, and its not uncommon to be in 5 th and 6 th gear alot. Plus, I often ride the bike to the Flint Hills area to do my off pavement touring, so an overdrive ratio is a good thing. With a little more power and carrying the 1 gal. Rotopax, I'll have great bike to use.
I know the 283 is going to be possible, and I hope the bigger kit is also.

Bake screwed with this post 11-01-2012 at 04:53 AM
Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:05 AM   #733
Bake
adventurer

Oddometer: 10,514
[QUOTE=G19Tony;19941559]I finally got around to installing the rack today. It literally took 5 minutes. Everything fit perfectly. I don't have any pictures without the Rotopax adapter, but, you will get the idea. For day to day riding the adapter might be in the way, but it would be a quick matter of loosening the front bolts, removing the rear bolts and rotating it up to get to the adapter.

[quote]

Great set up, I think this system for now is the way to go.

Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:08 AM   #734
SugarDust
Kulia i ka nu'u

Quote:
Originally Posted by espacef1fan View Post
I never considered riding my KLX on the interstate (I-25 Northern Colorado) - around here, seems the minimum speed limit is 75 + usually at around 85 to be the average - I set it up for pretty much dirt only. I don't ride my CRFL on the interstate for the same reasons - either bike is not really an interstate bike. I ride my BMW on the interstate

2013 KTM 250 XC-W
2013 Honda CRF250L
2011 BMW F650GS

Old 11-01-2012, 05:11 AM   #735
SugarDust
Kulia i ka nu'u

[QUOTE=Bake;19945345][QUOTE=G19Tony;19941559]I finally got around to installing the rack today. It literally took 5 minutes. Everything fit perfectly. I don't have any pictures without the Rotopax adapter, but, you will get the idea. For day to day riding the adapter might be in the way, but it would be a quick matter of loosening the front bolts, removing the rear bolts and rotating it up to get to the adapter.

Quote:

Great set up, I think this system for now is the way to go.

Sweet - that looks great!

2013 KTM 250 XC-W
2013 Honda CRF250L
2011 BMW F650GS