ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 06:06 PM   #751
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer
 
G19Tony's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: KLAS
Oddometer: 405
[QUOTE=Bake;19945345][QUOTE=G19Tony;19941559]I finally got around to installing the rack today. It literally took 5 minutes. Everything fit perfectly. I don't have any pictures without the Rotopax adapter, but, you will get the idea. For day to day riding the adapter might be in the way, but it would be a quick matter of loosening the front bolts, removing the rear bolts and rotating it up to get to the adapter.


Quote:

Great set up, I think this system for now is the way to go.
I'm still interested in your side rack. I'd be great to carry a gallon of water too.
__________________
BMW F800GT, Hodaka Dirt Squirt, Honda CL70, Honda CT70, Honda Grom.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:51 PM   #752
Kevinsterner
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Kevinsterner's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Cave Creek, AZ
Oddometer: 314
[QUOTE=MrFurious;19944209]I'd be a little leary of the HP claims with this kit. Below is their "supposed" dyno chart showing the HP gains on their website, but look at it closely. I'll give you a hint: upper left corner. See it? They show three curves markered in on the graph, but the actual printout only indicates two (green and red). Either they never did a third pull to validate their claims, or they did the third pull on a separate sheet and the results were so lack-luster they chose not to publish them. Thus Black = Bullshit



I probably wouldn't have caught it, but I found it rather odd they felt the need to go over the actual pull curves with red and blue markers even though the actual curves were clearly visible. Then I looked a little closer and noticed that no where along the black pull can you see anything from the original printed pull poking out from behind the marker. All they did was took the second chart they posted (below) and colored in a third make-bleieve pull to magically validate their claims.

[/QUOTE

I agree, I thought their video on the website was lame.
__________________
2011 Husqvarna TE 449 (Current Bike)
2011 Kawasaki 650 KLR (Current Bike)
2013 Honda CRF 250 L
1981 Honda 750 F,1972 Yamaha 250, 1971 Hodaka
you can't fix stupid.
Kevinsterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:11 AM   #753
Dirtgrain
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Dirtgrain's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Ypsilanti, MI
Oddometer: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinsterner View Post
Then I looked a little closer and noticed that no where along the black pull can you see anything from the original printed pull poking out from behind the marker. All they did was took the second chart they posted (below) and colored in a third make-bleieve pull to magically validate their claims.
Wow. That is awful--no matter what the next excuse will be.
__________________
Don't laugh at my mule: http://new.wavlist.com/movies/176/afd-mule.wav
Dirtgrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:39 AM   #754
Bake
adventurer
 
Bake's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Oddometer: 10,515
We ran Bill's Crf250L and got 17.5 hp. Stock. I'll get the print out posted as soon as I can. The motor has 100 miles on it, it'll make a wee bit more by the time it gets 1000 miles and everything has had a chance to polish in.
__________________

Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:45 AM   #755
Bake
adventurer
 
Bake's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Oddometer: 10,515
[QUOTE/]

I'm still interested in your side rack. I'd be great to carry a gallon of water too. [/QUOTE]
I will be doing the side mount Rotopax bracket, it's a matter of finding time whilw working 50 hrs a week building airplanes. . I want one also, we'll get there. I also have plans for an aluminum replacement for the brake switch "mud flap" mostly just because I think it's cheesy looking.
__________________

Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:52 AM   #756
itrack
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: South Texas
Oddometer: 114
[QUOTE=Kevinsterner;19950855]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
I'd be a little leary of the HP claims with this kit. Below is their "supposed" dyno chart showing the HP gains on their website, but look at it closely. I'll give you a hint: upper left corner. See it? They show three curves markered in on the graph, but the actual printout only indicates two (green and red). Either they never did a third pull to validate their claims, or they did the third pull on a separate sheet and the results were so lack-luster they chose not to publish them. Thus Black = Bullshit




I probably wouldn't have caught it, but I found it rather odd they felt the need to go over the actual pull curves with red and blue markers even though the actual curves were clearly visible. Then I looked a little closer and noticed that no where along the black pull can you see anything from the original printed pull poking out from behind the marker. All they did was took the second chart they posted (below) and colored in a third make-bleieve pull to magically validate their claims.

[/QUOTE

I agree, I thought their video on the website was lame.
I saw that as well, you can clearly see that was hand drawn with no dyno sqiggle behind it. I'd also want to see the hp and tq on one graph. I'd also like to see the airbox screen taken off, stock muffler uncorked, and the fuel controller only. Hopefully they just had a brain fart and will go back to the dyno for more legit testing? Wether they show it or not my money is you get 80% of the gains with the fuel controller.

On another note I'm just a couple miles shy of 1000 and did the 3rd oil and filter change as well as checked the valves, everthing was in spec. After researching on the CBR250R forums its commonly known that if you break the bike in hard and fast the valves will be in spec, if you break it in easy they probably need adjustment. I def need a skid plate, I'll post pics of the damage I did Sunday on our rocky step up and step down climbs out at Hidden Hills Adventure Park, in Marble Falls. I cracked the skid plate up top and had the mounting tabs bent forward along with some nasty frame scratches.
itrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:10 AM   #757
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer
 
G19Tony's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: KLAS
Oddometer: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bake View Post
[QUOTE/]

I'm still interested in your side rack. I'd be great to carry a gallon of water too.
I will be doing the side mount Rotopax bracket, it's a matter of finding time whilw working 50 hrs a week building airplanes. . I want one also, we'll get there. I also have plans for an aluminum replacement for the brake switch "mud flap" mostly just because I think it's cheesy looking.[/QUOTE]

That's great! I think it's pretty cheesy too. Where do you build airplanes at? I fly them.
__________________
BMW F800GT, Hodaka Dirt Squirt, Honda CL70, Honda CT70, Honda Grom.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:36 AM   #758
Bake
adventurer
 
Bake's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Oddometer: 10,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by G19Tony View Post
I will be doing the side mount Rotopax bracket, it's a matter of finding time whilw working 50 hrs a week building airplanes. . I want one also, we'll get there. I also have plans for an aluminum replacement for the brake switch "mud flap" mostly just because I think it's cheesy looking.
That's great! I think it's pretty cheesy too. Where do you build airplanes at? I fly them. [/QUOTE]

I've been with all the manufacturers in Wichita at some point, over the last 33 years.
__________________

Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:17 AM   #759
goondock
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Plymouth Meeting PA
Oddometer: 68
Got my HBD hand guards from Highway Dirtbikes. jsut a note they don't work with the steel stock bars. I am new to this but not sure if that is a standard thing with grips that screw the bars or not, so it gave me an excuse to get some pro tapers I stuck with 7/8 bars. The hand guards went on easy enough and I really like the mirror feature. now i dont have the big mirrors sticking up off the bars, looks better IMO. the mirrors work well, obviously not as much visibility as the stock ones but they work well enough. plus they fold in when I hit the trails.. Haven't laid the bike down or hit any trees so I cant comment on durability but they look strong enough.

In summary, I really like em!!









goondock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #760
goondock
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Plymouth Meeting PA
Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkan Boy View Post
What was the issue with stock bars?
Did you get a custom top clamp from HDB?

How much did the HDB and ProTapers set you back, if you don't mind me asking?
The inside diameter of the stock bars was too large for the hand guard insert. You are supposed to tap the end of the bars with the supplied tap and then thread the insert in .. the diameter was too large.

the guards were 199.. 150 for the hand guards and 50 for the mirrors. The bars were 65 bucks and the new grips were 10

so 275 to get rid of my stock mirrors and have some sweet hand guards. I know there are cheaper routes but I really disliked the mirrors sticking up.
goondock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:27 PM   #761
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond
 
MentalGuru's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Mental Ward
Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by goondock View Post
The inside diameter of the stock bars was too large for the hand guard insert. You are supposed to tap the end of the bars with the supplied tap and then thread the insert in .. the diameter was too large.

the guards were 199.. 150 for the hand guards and 50 for the mirrors. The bars were 65 bucks and the new grips were 10

so 275 to get rid of my stock mirrors and have some sweet hand guards. I know there are cheaper routes but I really disliked the mirrors sticking up.

On stock steel bars you would use a rubber hose with a nut or some inserts meant for steel bars. HDB guards are designed for aluminum bars with inserts.
MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:39 PM   #762
goondock
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Plymouth Meeting PA
Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalGuru View Post
On stock steel bars you would use a rubber hose with a nut or some inserts meant for steel bars. HDB guards are designed for aluminum bars with inserts.

Yeah I found that out ha ha ha, no worries though i wanted them and it gave me an excuse to get some new bars.
goondock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:53 PM   #763
Harcomo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Missouri
Oddometer: 110
Dirt Bike Magazine Review of BDSB's modded CRF250L

Here's Best Dual Sport Bike's modded bike reviewed by Dirt Bike Magazine.

http://www.dirtbikemagazine.com/ME2/...33371B89BB148F
Harcomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:37 PM   #764
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Dearborn MI
Oddometer: 1,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harcomo View Post
Here's Best Dual Sport Bike's modded bike reviewed by Dirt Bike Magazine.

http://www.dirtbikemagazine.com/ME2/...33371B89BB148F
Best Dual Sport made great headway on power and weight.....supposedly 6 horsepower, and 13 pounds with battery & muffler....but NOT cheap....the bottom line is the developers for goodies for this bike are jumping out of the woodwork!!
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:53 PM   #765
'Flagger
..this space for rent..
 
'Flagger's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Columbus, OH
Oddometer: 2,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harcomo View Post
Here's Best Dual Sport Bike's modded bike reviewed by Dirt Bike Magazine.

http://www.dirtbikemagazine.com/ME2/...33371B89BB148F
The article mentions upgrades to the Forks and Shocks using Racetech components ... can't find any mention of that on BDSB's website. Not flaming ... just curious to know more.
__________________
- B

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014