Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2012, 05:05 PM   #781
roundtripping
Adventourist

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brk4moose View Post
So I picked up my CRF250L on 11/1....25 miles on the odometer (dealership to home), and I love it already. However, Today I go out to my garage to take it for a rip and there are three oil drips on my garage floor just below the bike. It looked to be coming from the drain plug and there was a little bit pooled up in the plastic skid plate. I cleaned it all up and was able to tighten the drain plug a little bit. Hopefully that will be the end of that. Anyone else come across that yet?

Also, has anyone heard of a centerstand that may be in the works somewhere? I haven't seen anything as of yet. My garage is a bit tight and a centerstand would make life a little easier.
A couple drops in the first few miles isn't much to worry about. More after that and it might become worrisome.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

My SPOT Tracker
roundtripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:15 PM   #782
13Moose-man
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bake View Post
Does it feel like they got the controller right? no surging at steady state throttle, at different rpms, no bogging, no hesitation, no flat spots? The tunable controllers like the Dobeck items are great, because different situations like altitude, load, humidity all affect the settings. I had the fuel controller from Dobeck on my F650GS, using a Staintune slip on muffler, and what worked for me did not work for the next owner, who lived several states away. They set it up on a dyno (the only truly accurate way to adjust one) and was super happy once they did so. The controller and muffler changed that bike into a different machine entirely.
I think they got it right. Haven't had a chance to do much riding (crappy weather) but the few times I've been out I have been impressed. Throttle response is great, no surging or bogging at all. Bike has a nice steady constant pull when rolling on the throttle. Hope to test it some more before we get dumped on with snow.
13Moose-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:07 PM   #783
13Moose-man
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
So I picked up my CRF250L on 11/1....25 miles on the odometer (dealership to home), and I love it already. However, Today I go out to my garage to take it for a rip and there are three oil drips on my garage floor just below the bike. It looked to be coming from the drain plug and there was a little bit pooled up in the plastic skid plate. I cleaned it all up and was able to tighten the drain plug a little bit. Hopefully that will be the end of that. Anyone else come across that yet?

Also, has anyone heard of a centerstand that may be in the works somewhere? I haven't seen anything as of yet. My garage is a bit tight and a centerstand would make life a little easier.
Congrats on the bike. Mine had a tiny spot of oil sitting in the skid plate right around the drain plug when brand new. Wiped it up and never had a problem. Just keep a eye on it, but I think you will be fine. I know you don't have to but I like to use a new sealing washer every time I change the oil just for peace of mind.
13Moose-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:51 PM   #784
Bake
adventurer

Oddometer: 10,514
Made the prototype carrier for my Rotopax and Wolfman Tool Bag. Testing tomorrow in the Flint Hills. In the tool bag, I have a Tusk tire repair kit, a fully stocked tool set for the bike (things like a 24mm wrench for the rear axle nut) and 2 tire irons.

The brackets are aluminum 3/8" extrusion, with bushings and longer bolts. The 1/8" T6 aluminum plate is held to the brackets with 8 flat head screws. I tapped the holes for the flat head screws into the extrusion. It can't be seen very clearly, but there's an 1/8" space between the brackets and the seat, and 1/4" space between the aft brackets and the bodywork.

Good to go! Tools, tire repair kit, and a 210 mile range. Much more comfortable starting out into the boonies now. Next up will be to mount the Garmin 60csx, and a V.2 skidplate. The first skidplate I made, it works fine for me, but my friend Bill wants some coverage for the more rocky Colorado stuff he rides.

Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:03 PM   #785
MEROST
Southwest

Oddometer: 66
Oh no!!

:

I was doing my first oil change (600 miles) on my new 2013 CRF250L. I drained the oil and replaced the oil filter. As I was reinstalling the oil filter cover (four bolts) with my trusty CDI (Snap-On) torque wrench I ran into a bit of an issue. I secured the bottom right bolt first, but it didn't seem like it was tightening up so I moved up to the left upper bolt, which tightened up to manufacturer spec of 12Nm. I then tightened up the upper right bolt same as the upper left. I moved down to the lower left bolt and that was acted like the first (lower right) and didn't seem to tighten up at all and then I hear the dreaded "SNAP". I backed out the bolt, which was still intact, but obviously twisted/stretched. I backed out the right lower bolt and that was also slightly distorted.

I just don't get it???

What did I do wrong. The bolts didn't break off so the snap I heard was the threads inside stripping???

2013 Honda CRF250L
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
GONE - 2007 Honda CRF450X and 2005 Yamaha FJR1300A
MEROST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:09 PM   #786
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,631
Don't use a torque wrench on the oil filter cover bolts. Tighten them "just enough" so the filter cover doesn't leak, and stop at that.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:28 PM   #787
MrFurious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
Good conventional forks can work very well with cartridge dampers, but there's an honest stiffness reason that all high end dirt bikes have gone to USD designed forks. Most of us riding dual sport bikes won't have much issue from either design. In the early days of USD forks, I think they fell behind a bit in seal technology which caused some headaches. They've gotten much better in that area in the years since.
The increased rigidity/stiffness of the USD forks is exactly why a lot of people don't like them. Ask any seasoned pro who was still riding in the late 1980's and they'll tell you they hated - yes hated! - the switch to USD forks. The big reason was because compared to the conventional forks, USD forks beat the hell out of you as they transmitted everything from the track up to the riders hands/arms. The inherent flex in conventional forks absorbed a lot of that shock and vibration and made them less prone to causing riders to get the dreaded arm pump.

Unfortunately conventional forks have fallen into the realm of being the "cheap and undesirable" option and aside from one or two specific examples have only been used on low-tech budget bikes since about 1990. The Honda CRF-F's and XR's, Suzuki DR's and DRZ's, Kawasaki KDX's (except 1994), etc. all continued to run conventional forks, but the technology has remained stagnant for the past 20+ years because all the R&D money goes into USD forks. Now we're to the point that even the "budget" models (KLX-S, CRF-L, etc) are coming with bottom-of-the-barrel, non-adjustable or limited adjustment USD forks.

The last hoo-rah for the conventional forks on full blown race bikes was the aforementioned 1996-98 Suzuki RM's and a select few KTM models in the late 1990's. These are about as modern a conventional forks as you'll find, and the 96-98 RM forks are still considered by many to be the best handling forks to ever grace a dirt bike - even when compared to today's USD's.

Would be nice to see a company (Showa, Kayaba, WP) come up with a truly modern, fully adjustable conventional fork comparable to today's USD forks. I think such a fork would really open people's eyes and make them rethink the USD option - especially outside the Supercross circles as that's really the only place the added stiffness of the USD is beneficial.

I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for it to happen though as it's common knowledge that everyone sees conventional forks as low-end junk these days and the manufacturers simply won't risk hurting sales by going back to a conventional fork - even if it did prove to handle much, much better. It's exactly why Suzuki went back to a USD fork in 1999 on the RM's - even though the change caused them to go from having the best handling bike on the market to the worst. Just proof that most people are more interested in looking cool than going fast.

MrFurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #788
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bake View Post
Made the prototype carrier for my Rotopax and Wolfman Tool Bag. Testing tomorrow in the Flint Hills. In the tool bag, I have a Tusk tire repair kit, a fully stocked tool set for the bike (things like a 24mm wrench for the rear axle nut) and 2 tire irons.

The brackets are aluminum 3/8" extrusion, with bushings and longer bolts. The 1/8" T6 aluminum plate is held to the brackets with 8 flat head screws. I tapped the holes for the flat head screws into the extrusion. It can't be seen very clearly, but there's an 1/8" space between the brackets and the seat, and 1/4" space between the aft brackets and the bodywork.

Good to go! Tools, tire repair kit, and a 210 mile range. Much more comfortable starting out into the boonies now. Next up will be to mount the Garmin 60csx, and a V.2 skidplate. The first skidplate I made, it works fine for me, but my friend Bill wants some coverage for the more rocky Colorado stuff he rides.
Awesome work! You have mad fab skillz my friend.

Looks just like a fuselage skin.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:29 PM   #789
bill pierce
I don't wana pickle

Oddometer: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEROST View Post
:

I just don't get it???

What did I do wrong. The bolts didn't break off so the snap I heard was the threads inside stripping???
If there is any oil on the threads at all, the bolt is much tighter than the wrench indicates. Torque wrenches can mislead you into over-tightening a fastener if any lube, anti-seize or grease is present.

use Heili coils to repair. Lesson learned.
Yamaha FZR 1000 (sold)
Honda Cr 500 sold
bill pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:15 AM   #790
Downstater
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:

First off welcome... Second, start breathing again haha. Your new baby is just fine. What your seeing is actually just the cheap chain lube the factory puts on. It is thin runny junk and spins off onto the inside of the front sprocket cover and then drips down from there. So not to worry your bike is good to go. Mine did the same thing.

Now go tear that thing a new one!
Downstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:27 PM   #791
sherpa7
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
I have been lurking here for awhile and have been reading some incredible ride reports and view some awesome pics. Inspired, I took the plunge and got a new 250L at RPM Motorsports in Lakewood, CO. I had a 230L previously which I traded in for the new bike. Since getting the bike, I have put on a Ricochet Skid Plate (great vendor with excellent CS), rear rack, Cycra hand guards and Wolfman tail bag.

I had a great time taking it to Vail for its initial ride 1 mod ago. My friend was riding his WR. The bike did pretty good. However, it did give me some concern on one occasion. We stopped for a break and when I went to start it back up it would lurch forward after dropping it into first from neutral and then die. Starting it from first would result in a slight lurch and then die. To resolve the issue the engine had to revved aggressively from neutral and dropped into first. The bike kicked and I have not experienced the problem since.

I would love to do an extended trip on this bike but will likely have to wait until next spring. I would love to do Denver to San Jose, CA via HWY 50 as I still have family in CA. Here are some initial pics of the new ride.

HWY 70 is way down there in the center of the pic.

sherpa7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:18 PM   #792
yyz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
@Sherpa

Very nice pics, where did you get that rack from? Thanks.
yyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:42 PM   #793
Harcomo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Awesome pics and a great looking bike setup! I can tell you're a person that pays attention to detail.
Harcomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:27 PM   #794
sherpa7
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyz View Post
Very nice pics, where did you get that rack from? Thanks.
I ordered the rack from Bikerzbits. It was shipped from Thailand. I think there are plenty of local options now though I am happy with the rack.
sherpa7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:46 PM   #795
Bake
adventurer

Oddometer: 10,514
Bill made a turn down tip that is a larger diameter with a different spark arrestor tube, for the exhaust on his CRF250L. It definitely helps with the low end. I'll have one also later in the week.
Many developments going on with his end of the work.

Bake is offline   Reply With Quote