Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 06:07 AM   #1426
Vspec
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by bungie4 View Post
So the bike has been put away for about 3 weeks now. I'm going to have some wrenching to do in the spring

Seat Concepts Seat, Ricochet skid plate, Manrack with Rotopax mount, hour meter, 13T sprocket...
Do you mind me asking how much you got hit with duty and taxes and where your ordered from? I am looking into a Manrack and skid plate.

Vspec screwed with this post 12-12-2012 at 06:24 AM
Vspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:08 AM   #1427
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
The latest issue of Motorcycle Consumer News had an article how to test your fuel for alcohol, and how to make it separate from the gasoline so you can remove it......maybe brew up 5 gallons of the stuff....or buy some alcohol free fuel (hard to find in some places)....then go out and ride and burn it up and TRY to make it stall......sure would do all CRF owners a favor to determine if that's the bad guy

So what octane was the fuel after removing the alcohol?

Alcohol is much higher octane of 120 or so.

Adding some toulene will bring the octane back up.

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:30 AM   #1428
towman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Similar question as above, can an owner in California tell me how much the CA DMV charges for title / registration the first time?
Thank you!
towman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:51 AM   #1429
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,120
California DMV $119

California Tax in Ventura County $403

$65 Document fee.

For a brand new bike that's under warranty not running right, besides draining that gas out and trying gas from a difference source I think folks are getting a little nutty with all these crazy ideas....

I use Startron fuel additive in my Husaberg to battle the well documented problems caused by ethanol and the injector in that bike. Never used any additive in my hundreds of thousands of miles on my BMW R1200R or F800GS.

Doesn't have much to do with the LRP though since it's a different bike, just shows how fuel injected bikes are all different and just cause something is one way on a certain bike doesn't mean anything for another.

I say let the dealer figure it out, since this seems to be an isolated issue, if there was a universal problem with all the ECU's programming, or injectors more people would be reporting this IMO.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:33 AM   #1430
Tommyrg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
I read bits of it...one guy appears to have gotten a reduction in stalls by going to lower viscosity oil...and then theorized it was leanness effects and friction effects at idle......I wonder if ANYONE with a Dobek calibration modifier has richened up the idle and gotten rid of the stall issue...either with a 250R or 250L.....as I noticed JD Jetting sells their version of the Dobek product for 209$$.......if anyone knows it'd be Rick Ramsey!!
Now that I think about it my 250l engine has done had the stalling issue on many occasions just didnt really acknoledge it and released the clutch....Vroom back on top. Mine may have done it 10 times out of the 4000 miles I have on it. Seems like everytime it did it was when I had been riding hard, choped the throttle grabed the clutch and downshifted.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:00 AM   #1431
towman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
California Tax in Ventura County $403

$65 Document fee.
I got quoted for around 5700 OTD in San Diego (including tax, prep, dealer fees), so the $403 is on top of the sale tax of the bike or is that included in the OTD price?

Just trying to get a clear picture how much of this bike will actually cost.

Thanks!
towman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:30 AM   #1432
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,120
Should be in the OTD price, but the dealer should clarify that.

We paid more OTD than that, the dealer charging a ridiculous delivery and setup charge - a premium for a bike they can't keep on the floor for more than 1 day. We waited months for one to come into any of the 3 locals Honda dealers and when the one we bought came in, the timing was good with money so I didn't care about the premium. Didn't buy any extra warranty or wheel insurance from the dealer either.
I won't be giving this particular dealer any more money though for anything. Got my service manual and will be doing all the work myself, unless it's under warranty.

Good luck!

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:31 AM   #1433
Bake
adventurer

Oddometer: 10,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyrg View Post
Now that I think about it my 250l engine has done had the stalling issue on many occasions just didnt really acknoledge it and released the clutch....Vroom back on top. Mine may have done it 10 times out of the 4000 miles I have on it. Seems like everytime it did it was when I had been riding hard, choped the throttle grabed the clutch and downshifted.
Exact same parameters would cause the stalling on my F800ST. Warm weather, highway running, pull up to the first stop, get down to neutral, couple of sputters, then stall.
Dont use alcohol laced fuel, or if there's no choice, use an alcohol fuel treatment . Stabil brand makes one now that helps.

Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:20 AM   #1434
Willard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vspec View Post
Do you mind me asking how much you got hit with duty and taxes and where your ordered from? I am looking into a Manrack and skid plate.
I ordered the Seat Concepts saddle and delivered to Halifax there was no duty or taxes. The Manracks should arrive any day now, will let you know if I get hit with anything.
Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:20 AM   #1435
Moat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz View Post
Which issue has the info?
It's in the December 2012 (latest delivered) issue. Honda's NC700X on the cover.
Moat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:06 PM   #1436
bungie4
Frostback

Oddometer: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vspec View Post
Their is no duty on motorcycle parts coming from the US. Only exchange rate, shipping and your local taxes. It's important to note to make SURE any parts ordered from the US are shipped via US Postal Service. Both FedEx and UPS charge about $40 to broker your package through customs. USPS does not. Delivery is about the same.

It pays to shop around though, not all purchases are cheaper in the US. Just last weekn I was shopping for some Alpinestar Scout boots. Best price I could find in the US was $300. Found them in Canada for $259 along with free delivery. Deal!

2013 FJR1300, 2004 FJR1300, 2013 CRF250L
I have a job, I explore, I follow every little whiff.
On/Offroad help when you need it - http://www.assistancelist.com
bungie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:30 PM   #1437
13Moose-man
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harcomo View Post
I ordered this kit late last Wednesday from CRF's Only and got it today (Monday) by FedEx.....talk about fast service! It installed easily and everything was a precision fit. I only had to cut three wires directly in front of the stock taillight and splice them to the stock wiring harness with the provided connectors. Everything else was just a bolt on. The LED taillight is plenty bright for as small as it is. I'm super pleased with it. I like things that go together right and fit right and Yoshimura's kit did just that. Very high quality all around. For those of you that are concerned with the weight of the CRFL, then something like this would seem to fit right in. I didn't weigh the before and after parts, but the weight savings is significant as I removed way more parts than I reinstalled. No pics yet but I can take pics if anyone is interested..... it looks just like the one on Yosh's website. . Overall, I'd give it a 10 on a scale of 1-10. If Yoshimura's pipes are as high quality as the fender eliminator kit, I may have to take a look at them when they come out.
Thanks for the install review and pics, looks real good. I've been wanting to clean up that part of the bike wihtout having to do a bunch of cutting and fabricating and risk the chance of screwing it up.
13Moose-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:38 PM   #1438
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalGuru View Post
So what octane was the fuel after removing the alcohol?

Alcohol is much higher octane of 120 or so.

Adding some toulene will bring the octane back up.

Article said removing ethanol (~113 octane) would turn a premium to regular, so add back octane booster

toluene...in my experience, is NASTY stuff....not for novices to handle

BUT....am I correct that regular is all this engine wants/needs?

Article is in MCN Dec 2012 issue...page 32-33
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:46 PM   #1439
roundtripping
Adventourist

Oddometer: 1,702
Question Rotopax

I know a couple of folks on here have the Manracks utility rack with a Rotopax. I just picked up a Rotopax with the pack mount and hardware:

but I can't figure out how the Rotopax base plate is supposed to mount to the rack plate. Or rather, the round holes on the Rotopax base plate obviously line up with the holes on the rack plate, but as far as I can tell there are no screws in the Rotopax kit that fit those round holes? The included four screws are for the square holes. I guess my question is, did you somehow make it work with was included in the kit or did you have to pick up another set of screws to make it work?

My SPOT Tracker
roundtripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:53 PM   #1440
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Article said removing ethanol (~113 octane) would turn a premium to regular, so add back octane booster

toluene...in my experience, is NASTY stuff....not for novices to handle

BUT....am I correct that regular is all this engine wants/needs?

Article is in MCN Dec 2012 issue...page 32-33

Toluene...in my experience, is NASTY stuff... I agree in more ways then one.

I cound run 10psi more boost in my turbo car with a strong blend. It sure made the car nasty fast...

Better be careful it will do nasty things to you if you handle it wrong.

It is a used when making gas thou. They used almost pure toulene in some race cars years ago. It worked great but was deemed too nasty.

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote