ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: How secure is soft luggage?
Its Not! Soft luggage is the devil and traveling gypsies will slice it open and take your goods 22 39.29%
So secure, been leaving stuff in soft luggage for years and never had a problem....knock on wood.... 34 60.71%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-17-2012, 09:15 PM   #16
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,689
Don't steal my Kriega bags!

I have Kriega soft stuff and a lockable top box. I keep anything I'd like to see again in the top box, and I do feel more secure having a lockable place to keep my laptop. When I travel, I keep my passport, drivers license, credit card and cash on me always. Most of that is in my pants since a jacket can get nicked at a cafe or restaurant. Anything that gets left on the bike is superfluous. It won't stop my trip.

Honestly, the bags themselves are worth more than anything I keep in them. I'd be more bumbed that someone stole my Kriega bags than the contents. Maybe, I need to switch to Hefty

Never had a problem, but I wouldn't park loaded in a major city either.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:29 AM   #17
sledgegreen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
I used to use soft luggage a lot, but then switched to Givi hard cases about 15 years ago. Used soft luggage all over the UK, in towns and outside.

Never had anything nicked. Used to put valuables in a tankbag, which I would take with me when I left the bike. Also had a topbox for most of the time I was using soft luggage, so that gave a degree of secure storage. Apart from that, I would park it in a place that was highly visible - ideally where I would be able to see it myself.

Hard luggage 'feels' more secure (both "less likely to fall off' and 'less likely to get nicked') and is much less fiddly to use. I always found that I was trying to feel for bungee points that were hidden under the soft luggage. Now, when I load stuff on the rear seat/across the top of the panniers, the Givi racks or the pannier handles provide ample, easy to reach tie down points.
sledgegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:27 PM   #18
nylon2000
Wanderer

Oddometer: 253
Here's how i do it:
Here's my setup:

On self - all real valuables - passport etc

Tank bag - contains all other valuables (electronics), fitted a shoulder strap to it, it comes with me when needed

Soft panniers: I use these: http://www.rei.com/product/832897/on...eash-cable-5mm. Super light, fairly invisible, but a deterrent for the casual. The bags arent possible to open, without a knife/cutters. And in terms of stealing the bags themselves, thats hard work - i can barely be bothered to remove the bags, it takes 5+ minutes.

Tail bag: Similar, but longer: http://www.amazon.com/Avenir-Seat-Lo...ef=pd_sim_sg_2. Again, hidden, but stops the bag being opened without slashing. A small padlock locks the bag to the bike. Again, simple, and discrete.

The expedition
About the bike
nylon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote