Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2012, 09:43 PM   #31
RiverRatRider13
Motorcycle Chum

Oddometer: 336
I am in the same boat. Since I have moved out west I have been riding a lot of single track. And I do like it. But I have always loved watching trials and it looks like an awesome sport to get into that you will never ever really master. You can be good at riding single track but to get better means to go faster and you just exponentially increase your chance of serious injury. I do know that as you get better at trials you will try bigger stuff and therefore more dangerous as well but I feel its a bit different.

When ever I want to get into a new bike and or hobby I always do tons of research. So tonight I looked at and test rode my first ever trials bike. a 2001 Scorpa SY250. From everything I have read these are great beginner to intermediate bikes with a fairly bullet proof yamaha powerplant. All things I am looking for. I debating weather or not to pull the trigger.. price is obviously a factor. But I agree with High Country Herb in expanding my motorcycle experience! I have a street bike(2000 speed triple) and a single track machine(96 Yamaha WR250) so why not a trials bike!?
RiverRatRider13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:02 AM   #32
toro618
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by toro618 View Post
I just ordered the Sidi Trial Zero Boots.

I am in North NJ.
The Zero boots arrived, and I highly recommend them for anyone looking at a comfortable, and a broken-in out of the box boot.

I just got into trials a few days ago, and my first ride was with my Sidi Adventure boots which were ok as far as flexibility goes but like an mx boot they are bulky for trials. The Zero boots feel perfect.
toro618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:44 PM   #33
cueball
should'a walked it first

Oddometer: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRatRider13 View Post
I am in the same boat. Since I have moved out west I have been riding a lot of single track. And I do like it. But I have always loved watching trials and it looks like an awesome sport to get into that you will never ever really master. You can be good at riding single track but to get better means to go faster and you just exponentially increase your chance of serious injury. I do know that as you get better at trials you will try bigger stuff and therefore more dangerous as well but I feel its a bit different.

When ever I want to get into a new bike and or hobby I always do tons of research. So tonight I looked at and test rode my first ever trials bike. a 2001 Scorpa SY250. From everything I have read these are great beginner to intermediate bikes with a fairly bullet proof yamaha powerplant. All things I am looking for. I debating weather or not to pull the trigger.. price is obviously a factor. But I agree with High Country Herb in expanding my motorcycle experience! I have a street bike(2000 speed triple) and a single track machine(96 Yamaha WR250) so why not a trials bike!?
i had a '01 sy 250---great bike!! i rode it several hours per week for about 5 years before selling it & it was bulletproof. i weighd about 215 back then when doing some competitions and couldn't break it.
cueball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:23 PM   #34
RiverRatRider13
Motorcycle Chum

Quote:
Originally Posted by cueball View Post
i had a '01 sy 250---great bike!! i rode it several hours per week for about 5 years before selling it & it was bulletproof. i weighd about 215 back then when doing some competitions and couldn't break it.

Thats great to hear!!! I did end up buying it. I am very excited to get some time in and improve my skills. The previous owner mixed 80:1, what did you mix?
Old 09-15-2012, 04:35 AM   #35
cueball
should'a walked it first

Oddometer: 723
i mixed full synthetic at 75:1. i used either aviation gas or added octane booster most of the time, enjoy it!!
cueball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:52 AM   #36
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 1,065
Quote:
Thats great to hear!!! I did end up buying it. I am very excited to get some time in and improve my skills. The previous owner mixed 80:1, what did you mix?
Be very careful to not run fuel containing ethanol in the Scorpa. The tank is made of something that the ethanol destroys. Otherwise, enjoy! Mine has been tons of fun.
motojunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:17 AM   #37
RiverRatRider13
Motorcycle Chum

Quote:
Originally Posted by motojunky View Post
Be very careful to not run fuel containing ethanol in the Scorpa. The tank is made of something that the ethanol destroys. Otherwise, enjoy! Mine has been tons of fun.

I very much appreciate the tip!! Searching today for non ethanol station!
Old 09-17-2012, 01:07 AM   #38
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 583
Quote:
I very much appreciate the tip!! Searching today for non ethanol station!
Try a marina near you. If that fails, a municipal airport for AVGAS.
wilkinsonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:59 AM   #39
RiverRatRider13
Motorcycle Chum

Got out for the first time on the scorpa last night! This is pretty fun, extremely challenging though! I have a ton to learn! but I was able to go places at my local singletrack spot that I couldnt touch on my WR.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:24 AM   #40
toro618
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Got out for the first time on the scorpa last night! This is pretty fun, extremely challenging though! I have a ton to learn! but I was able to go places at my local singletrack spot that I couldnt touch on my WR.

I just bought a Trials bike last week also, and have already put about 10 hours on her...been places that I could not touch with my WR144. I know it's how the pegs are positioned and the lower center of gravity and all that, but I am still at awe how much traction a trials bike finds going up hills that I would never be able to pull off on my drit bike.
After each ride, I kick myself for not getting one sooner. So for all those on the fence, and have a little extra cash to spend, don't procrastinate....get one asap if you want to improve overall riding skill.
toro618 is offline   Reply With Quote