User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2012, 10:27 AM   #1
DandyDoug OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
used burgman miles ??

I have finally arranged a test ride on a Burgman from my local dealer for tomorrow morning.

He has a used 08 or 09 not sure which year on the floor with "43k " miles on the clock.
It appears to have been well maintained , owned by a local who traded it in for a new model with ABS.

At what point would you, all of great knowledge say the mileage is too high on a used Burgman ??

Thanks, Doug
DandyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:04 AM   #2
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,855
Not familier with Burgmans but I would say it depended on the price.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:10 AM   #3
pjm204
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,985
No experience with the Burgman but the price would have to be greatly different over one with significantly less mileage. If the price difference is in the hundreds, I'd go with a lesser mileage bike, if it is a huge difference, it could make sense.
Past bikes: XT225, TTR125, '04 CRF50 '74 DT125,'70 TS250,'85 v45, '89 zx600c, '78 GS400x, '99 GS500E, '01 GS500E '05 Z750s, '77 GS400e, '82 GS1100ez, '97 GSX600, '07 VFR800, '03 KLR650, '03 FJR1300, '06 DL1000, '00 KLR650, '99 WR360, '08 DL650, '05 DR650, '08 EX650r, '96 CR500, '82 GS450T, '06 Ural
pjm204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:17 PM   #4
samc
just me.....

Oddometer: 56
I paid $2600 for an '07 with 35k miles, with maintenance records, nothing broken or missing but a crappy windshield. Of course, in HI things do tend to cost more.
samc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:58 PM   #5
Tromper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Cool2

I don't know what the market is in NC, but I'd take a guess at 2k or less.
We're just about to drop into the cheap time of year when you can get something in great shape with low for 5k or less in this area. That & the occasional pouncer (my k6 was 3k with 5k miles) if you're alert & watching.

Check Craigslist, cycletrader & possibly your local paper . Personally I'd consider being patient for a bit. If the dollar doesn't tank too bad you could see some real deals soon due to the weather change
Tromper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:19 PM   #6
DandyDoug OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Something i still do not get; is why people who ride and claim

"we don't care what you ride as long as you ride"

get all panty twisted about a Maxi ?

It's 400 -- 650 cc of motor wrapped up in some plastic.
Just like a Honda ST1300, a Kawasaki Concourse, a BMW RT, a Goldwing, an HD dresser

Ooohh wow you can shift it !
If a semi automatic works well for an F-1 driver why not us ??

Heck it's at least as fast as the others, gets the same or better MPG and for the most part cost's less on original purchase.

Fer cryin out loud, I'm 68 years old and want to continue to ride ( been on two wheels since i was 12), just cannot deal with a clutch lever anymore.( Nerve damage in my left arm) hurts like hell to squeeze a clutch lever.

Just you wait until you young whipper snappers get some physical problem that wants to prevent you from enjoying the only hobby you really like.
I'll bet you get it then.

Just trying to stay on two wheels a bit longer.
Doug
Old 08-29-2012, 06:29 PM   #7
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,459
Yeah I'm 68 as well. started riding in 1958. I have degenerative back disease and it hurts to swing my leg over a motorcycle so I got a Kymco People S 250. I will ride a scooter as long as I can. Two wheels is two wheels.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:32 PM   #8
GroundHogger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Dandy, Roy has a nice one for sale...

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=58783
Old 08-29-2012, 07:52 PM   #9
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
What does everyone think of this. I know it is an '06, but look at the mileage. It runs and rides great, and shows no signs of having ever been dropped. I am seriously considering it, it is being sold by a family owned used bike dealer/shop, and I have another bike I no longer want they are willing to give me a decent trade for. http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcd/3205796432.html
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:44 AM   #10
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,768
Looks nice , the price is ok. Unless you can make more money selling your own bike go for it. I think used 650 burgman are around 4 to 5 grand at least were I live.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:59 AM   #11
Tromper
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
What does everyone think of this. I know it is an '06, but look at the mileage. It runs and rides great, and shows no signs of having ever been dropped. I am seriously considering it, it is being sold by a family owned used bike dealer/shop, and I have another bike I no longer want they are willing to give me a decent trade for. http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcd/3205796432.html
This is a reasonable deal for an Exec, or rather would be around here, particularly from a dealer & for this time of year. Your area may vary.
The 06 non exec I have has served me pretty well for a few years & is doing OK after 30k miles in all weather riding. Gas Oil, tires brake pads & one sticky switch so far.

See if you can take it for a spin & if ya like it work something out. Maybe double check CL to make sure that isn't a high price for your area & if it is let me know & I'll start watching your area for a lower mile replacement for mine
Old 08-30-2012, 07:00 AM   #12
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
the sound of a loud exhaust and the sheer torque of a big cruiser motorcycle doesn't thrill me anymore! Its a much more enjoyable experience riding a scooter, its smooth, quiet, easy to control, I can ride down the road at 60 mph and hear the birds singing in the trees. Nobody else will be impressed with the scooter you own except you, you won't be welcome at big motorcycle rides and shows,,,, your motorcycle friends will forget about you and won't want you to ride with them cause they will be embarressed to be seen with a scooter.
There are 2 scooter clubs in my area that the majority of the members ride Burgman's, Burgman's are very popular, they are a good maxi scooter with great perfomance and in my opinion the ONLY maxi scooter that can handle the extra weight of a rear passenger.
A brand new 650 Burgman will cost you $10K, so any used one from around half that price is a good deal.
They are expensive cause they are in strong demand and in short supply.
I own the Tmax, the Burgman was my first choice but I refused to kiss the dealers butt to sell me one so I was forced to buy the Tmax instead and I believe I made a much better choice.

I am bias,, I hate all motorcycle-scooter dealers in my opinion they are the biggest lowlife, lowest form of life on earth, but they stand in my way of what i want, I have been ripped off by all of them,,,, the tricks they do is not pay the state the taxes you paid for the scooter, perposely make a mistake on the VIN number on the registration, install bad batteries on new bikes, and always, always make a mistake on the math when doing the paperwork on the sale,,,take a calculator with you and double check the numbers.
You sure are a piece of work....

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:08 AM   #13
DandyDoug OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I did my test ride this morning and must say i was impressed ,went a bit less than 50 miles

Took it up to 90mph on the freeway , smooth as glass.
No adjustable windscreen so i got more air blast than I prefer.
In the twisties it handled like a sport bike, stops like one too

Stopped and adjusted the back rest to see what that was like, gave me plenty of room, seat felt ok for the distance i rode.

The machine is a 2008 not the Executive model, has 43k miles and a good maintenance history. The dealer is buried in it as he took it in trade for a 2012 model. It will need tires before to much longer .
He is asking close to $5k or not ?????????
Doug
Old 08-30-2012, 10:21 AM   #14
Jonniedee
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 513
For that much you'll need new tires and a warranty extension. Go over to the burgman board they'll steer you right.
http://burgmanusa.com/
Jonniedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:38 PM   #15
Tromper
Gnarly Adventurer

Tires

I normally get mine from the motorcycle superstore online. I go with the stock th01's &have no real complaints. Some folks are happy with darksiding 'em, but I haven't gone there.
- I am NOT trying to start in on the darkside fight here. There's plenty of that at burgmanusa if you want to check it out yourself.

Cheers
Tromper
-K6 with 32k