Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 09:45 AM   #331
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
So with all of that large steel tubing everywhere, strength should not be an issue, but what are you up to...12-1300 lbs?
Old 02-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #332
LC Garage
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymac530 View Post
So with all of that large steel tubing everywhere, strength should not be an issue, but what are you up to...12-1300 lbs?
Current calculations are indicating approximately 30 stones...
Old 02-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #333
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

How big are THOSE stones...Stonehenge? Half Dome?

I am teasing of course...I love the build.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:10 PM   #334
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymac530 View Post
How big are THOSE stones...Stonehenge? Half Dome?

I am teasing of course...I love the build.
When are you starting your build thread kellymac?
I've got a feeling your gona cop a lot of teasing
DRjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:38 PM   #335
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

Hey Joe...I am expecting that...I dish, thus I MUST take.

My build is actually going good. My neck is all tacked and plates are cut to gusset the steering head. Got my laced rear wheel and tire, GS shock and bike is setting up on the wheels. It is coming back apart for final welding.
I plan on starting a thread soon. I suck at posting pics so I wanted to get a bumch loaded and do it all in one shot.

Sorry for the hijack...

PS: I actually know how much a "Stone" is and did not have to look it up. Your "Sled" will be much lighter than my beast.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #336
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe View Post
When are you starting your build thread kellymac?
I've got a feeling your gona cop a lot of teasing
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:30 PM   #337
Luke OP
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,036
A little progress. The side-to-side alignment is mostly fixed. The position is right now, but it moved the right shock mount forward a bit. That'll have to come off and re-attached. The wheel was a bit off, the axle isn't quite level with the swingarm pivot. I corrected that; over-corrected a little, actually, but it's closer.

Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #338
RedRaptor22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Can't remember if you have one or not but a handy trick that may have helped a bit with the swinger if you have a tig torch you can dry wash certain welds to pull it back straight if it gets a bit tweaked during initial welding.

And for square/rectangular tubing and bar stock only weld the outsides of the T's, if you weld the insides you'll end up bending the longer tube out of "straightness", plus those are more likely to cause cracks as well, just like saddle gussets on a frame, you see the welds run length ways with the tube, never across them, and when you do typically you see cracks form at the edge of the weld.

Just some tricks I've learned as back when I was a welder/fabricator making ridiculously priced custom handrails and various other fixtures and shop machinery.
RedRaptor22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:59 PM   #339
Luke OP
GPoET&P

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaptor22 View Post
Can't remember if you have one or not but a handy trick that may have helped a bit with the swinger if you have a tig torch you can dry wash certain welds to pull it back straight if it gets a bit tweaked during initial welding.

And for square/rectangular tubing and bar stock only weld the outsides of the T's, if you weld the insides you'll end up bending the longer tube out of "straightness", plus those are more likely to cause cracks as well, just like saddle gussets on a frame, you see the welds run length ways with the tube, never across them, and when you do typically you see cracks form at the edge of the weld.

Just some tricks I've learned as back when I was a welder/fabricator making ridiculously priced custom handrails and various other fixtures and shop machinery.

There aren't any convenient welds for doing the kind of dry wash I think you mean; I was considering running some stringer beads down the outside of the tube but I guessed it was as likely to just make a mess as to fix things.

I think the bracing tube that I used really does need to be welded all the way around to work properly, but a different type of brace would do the same job without needing to weld across the tube. Something to remember for the next one.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:12 PM   #340
Luke OP
GPoET&P

So last up was the swingarm. But there's more. Moving the right tube moved the right shock mount, so it had to be cut and re-welded into the right place.

Starting here. I never get tired of this view.

The shock mount has been cut off and tacked back on, and is being checked for location.

I've heard that "TIG in, Stick out" is a good way to weld thick things, so I tried it on this. The idea is that you do one pass with the TIG torch to get a good weld deep in the crack.

Then, stick weld the joint to add a lot of material to get a good thick weld. This is after three passes of 3/32" rod.

After checking the shock mount (still good) I finished up the axle slots. One of the slots was still off by 1/16", which made the wheel just visibly crooked. Now it's within a fraction of a degree of right, and good enough by eye.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:30 PM   #341
Luke OP
GPoET&P

Rick had a really good idea for where to put the coils. They won't fit in the stock location because the gas tank's tunnel is too narrow, and I was just going to stick them near the stock location but below the tank. Convenient for them, but in the way of other things. Instead, they're going to go on top of the battery box. There's enough room to move the air filter up a couple of inches to accommodate them.

Step one was to cut out a top for the box. The coils are attached to some pre-fabbed gussets which are welded to the top of the box.

The battery box lid is larger than it needs to be because it will also be the bottom of the shroud for the air filter.

Unfortunately adding a lip to the lid ruined it. The sheet warped and adding a rib to stabilize it made it worse. The original warping itself wasn't that bad, but pushing on the middle of the lid would make it pop from convex to concave like a jam jar lid. If the lid was popped the wrong way the coils wouldn't fit on the mounts. The rib was supposed to fix it, but just made it bad in a different way.

That was about five hours of work I gave up on.

The nice thing was that the next one went much faster.
Instead of making a sheet metal lid I'm going for plastic. A couple of brackets that each hold an individual coil each go on top of them.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:40 AM   #342
LC Garage
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 677
Starting here. I never get tired of this view.

So your an ass man?
Old 02-13-2013, 12:48 PM   #343
TwinDuro
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC Garage View Post
So your an ass man?

It is a darn good view...
Old 02-13-2013, 06:22 PM   #344
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!

Oddometer: 10,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinDuro View Post

It is a darn good view...
Wait until the truth comes out about the Lint chastity belt...

Oops, I've said too much.

No pics, didn't happen... move along...
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:12 PM   #345
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,253
[Verbal handgrenade]Question..... Are you going to have a spare custom swing arm, you know, just in case? Or are you bringing a TIG?

[\verbal handgrenade]

2012 KTM 250XC-W "Ginger"
Kootenai Rider is offline   Reply With Quote