Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2013, 08:07 AM   #496
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
Bike is looking great and I am glad the weather has been good. It is supposed to be beautiful the next couple of days. It is gorgeous right now here, 30-40 north of you.

This time of year we often get that morning gloom, overcast, heavy dew but it usually burns off by 10 or 11 o'clock.

Keep us posted on how it runs and handles. Sure looks good.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:22 PM   #497
Luke OP
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,076
Well, it's bad news for the CB. It ran great on an 80 mile test ride through the SoCal back roads (great roads, btw) and got 32 mpg, which isn't great, but with the extra fuel packs it's good enough for Mexico.

Firing the bike up before tech inspection on Saturday, it made a pretty aweful noise, kind of like a ducati clutch. So we pulled the clutch cover in the parking lot of the hotel and discovered that the actuator lever was dragging on the clutch basket sometimes depending on the pull on the clutch, so we fixed it and pulled it back together.

Sunday, it ran perfectly on the first special stage. It was a few miles of soft sandy trails followed by a long run on dry lakebed. The bike handled better than a 400# bike ought to in sand, and really really well on the lake bed.

Two miles into the first transit the motor locked up on the highway, and that was the end of the riding. We tried to fix it on the side of the road, but couldn't get anywhere, so trailered it to the first day's finish at Bay of LA and worked on it all night. We freed the motor up enough that we could disassemble the top end, and it all looked ok By about 1:30 am we had pulled the top end, unstuck the rings (so we though), put it back together and fired it up.

The next morning we got up for the start and after getting ready to go, took the bike for a quick test ride before starting the special. It made it about 100 feet and locked up solid again. Allan and I spent the morning tearing the motor down again, and it turned out that the third con rod had come apart and the crank bearings had seized. There was no way for us to fix that, so that was the end of the race.

We stashed the bike in a storage yard in Loreto and drove with the race to support Oregoncoast in his Subaru.

I was pretty gutted by the whole thing for the last couple of days, but when the bike gets back in a couple of weeks I'll tear into the motor and see what happened.

No pictures yet, I have some video of the first stage that I'll put up when I get to a decent internet connection, and Allan will have some pictures when he finishes driving home; it's now vacation time, so that will be at a much slower pace than the drive down.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:28 PM   #498
LC Garage
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Well, it's bad news for the CB. It ran great on an 80 mile test ride through the SoCal back roads (great roads, btw) and got 32 mpg, which isn't great, but with the extra fuel packs it's good enough for Mexico.

Firing the bike up before tech inspection on Saturday, it made a pretty aweful noise, kind of like a ducati clutch. So we pulled the clutch cover in the parking lot of the hotel and discovered that the actuator lever was dragging on the clutch basket sometimes depending on the pull on the clutch, so we fixed it and pulled it back together.

Sunday, it ran perfectly on the first special stage. It was a few miles of soft sandy trails followed by a long run on dry lakebed. The bike handled better than a 400# bike ought to in sand, and really really well on the lake bed.

Two miles into the first transit the motor locked up on the highway, and that was the end of the riding. We tried to fix it on the side of the road, but couldn't get anywhere, so trailered it to the first day's finish at Bay of LA and worked on it all night. We freed the motor up enough that we could disassemble the top end, and it all looked ok By about 1:30 am we had pulled the top end, unstuck the rings (so we though), put it back together and fired it up.

The next morning we got up for the start and after getting ready to go, took the bike for a quick test ride before starting the special. It made it about 100 feet and locked up solid again. Allan and I spent the morning tearing the motor down again, and it turned out that the third con rod had come apart and the crank bearings had seized. There was no way for us to fix that, so that was the end of the race.

We stashed the bike in a storage yard in Loreto and drove with the race to support Oregoncoast in his Subaru.

I was pretty gutted by the whole thing for the last couple of days, but when the bike gets back in a couple of weeks I'll tear into the motor and see what happened.

No pictures yet, I have some video of the first stage that I'll put up when I get to a decent internet connection, and Allan will have some pictures when he finishes driving home; it's now vacation time, so that will be at a much slower pace than the drive down.
When we heard the news Jani was almost in tears and we were both pretty upset. Bummer! No matter what, you did build an amazing machine and it proved itself at the D100 and apparently at Laguna Salada. Engines do fail, it just happens.

Anyway, the main thing is you are all safe, nothing else really matters all that much. See you soon and enjoy your vacation, there is always another race!
Old 05-03-2013, 01:09 AM   #499
Mr. Fisherman
Wishin not fishin.

Oddometer: 10,571
Bummer dude. Come home safe and we'll fix it.
I bet that first special was worth the price of admission.
Enjoy the vacation, you have more than earned it.
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:39 AM   #500
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,341
Awe, sorry to hear that Luke.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:54 AM   #501
Pointyhead
Single Malt Sampler

Oddometer: 173
Long time subscriber and first time poster.

Bummed to read about the news. The bike can be fixed and luckily you did not get hurt when things went south, could have been a lot worse.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:05 AM   #502
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,409
That stinks Luke. Good for you for trying to fix last minute, some things you just need to throw in the towel and enjoy the rest of your vacation and support your buddies.

I'm sure you will be back in action soon.

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:29 AM   #503
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,601
Luke, like the other have said bummer about the bike but glad you didn't crash. I was super disappointed when I saw the bike wasn't moving and I kept thinking you would pull out of it. I was even more disappointed when I discovered the bike was out of the race. I'm sure no where near as disapppointed as you were though.

It completed the Desert 100 and got started on the M1K which is great on it's own. You built an amazing machine.

Enjoy your vacation.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:51 AM   #504
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,802
Thanks for sharing Luke, congratulations for running your custom built bike in Mexico! Just making it down there, and finishing the first special was quite an accomplishment. Sounds like quite and adventure!

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:56 AM   #505
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,231
I must ask, didn't you have a spare motor I case of this? I thought I remembered reading about you building a backup engine. Not that it changes much, or that you'd have had the time to swap it in to finish, I was just curious about that detail. Next time you race this bike it's goi got do some serious damage to the competition instead of to itself.

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:53 PM   #506
Mr. Fisherman
Wishin not fishin.

Oddometer: 10,571
Looking forward to that race footage after some much deserved vacation time
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:09 PM   #507
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Oddometer: 3,671
Just read the thread today, thanks for taking all the extra time to post, a helluva story, hopin' for the best for you and your guys on this project and the ones sure to come....
Old 05-05-2013, 07:06 AM   #508
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,258
Luke, amazing effort for the last few months and the days in Mexico. You pulled off quite the feat with that bike. Bummer what happened. Better to have tried and failed, than to have never tried. There's always next year.

2012 KTM 250XC-W "Ginger"
Kootenai Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:08 AM   #509
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,928
bugger, i'm sure you'll smash them next time.
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:09 PM   #510
LC Garage
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 698
Luke's Return...

I'm happy to report that Luke (and all our other Outta Sight friends) made it home safe and sound!

Friday night Luke pulled in;

Time to unload;

Checking out the cool onboard refueling system, Luke reports that it worked great;

Ok, time for Luke to get on here and start sharing some of those stories!