Running bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Thanks!

If I can offer some advice:
1: Do it.
2: Start with a running bike.
Well, it ran great 5 yrs ago!

Your build has me SO PSYCHED! I had already started doing research, think I'm going for the xr650l front end, no luck on the swingarm yet. I'll find one when it's needed.

Sorry to hear about your luck in Mexico.

Do you think I should find a camera to look in the cylinders? I don't relish the idea of tearing the head off. Thanks for your advice.
slowpoke69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:54 AM   #557
Luke OP
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke69 View Post
Well, it ran great 5 yrs ago!

Your build has me SO PSYCHED! I had already started doing research, think I'm going for the xr650l front end, no luck on the swingarm yet. I'll find one when it's needed.

Sorry to hear about your luck in Mexico.

Do you think I should find a camera to look in the cylinders? I don't relish the idea of tearing the head off. Thanks for your advice.
Running when you parked it, right?

I have a spare swingarm kicking around, pretty sure it's a 650. I'll check.

The cameras sound nice, but every time I've pulled a head, it turned out to be worth doing. Besides, the 650s have a reputation for blowing head gaskets; you might as well get some practice.

OTOH, you actually know how it was treated in storage. If the exhaust and carbs/airbox/filter stayed on and it didn't get too damp it's probably ok.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:50 PM   #558
slowpoke69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
cb750f/ss

It was kept with everything on it, just recently pulled the carbs and stuffed papertowels in the boots and keep it covered.
The mechanic that use to work on it didn't know the stator will fry the reg/rec, nor did I until last year.
I also pulled the plugs and put wd40 in all cylinders to be sure it wasn't siezed, it'll turn with a ratchet easily.
I'm hoping putting the new stator,reg,plugs,wires,etc. will get her running. If so I can put new seals in the forks and go from there.
Thanks for any advice, love your bike BTW.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:09 PM   #559
slowpoke69
Gnarly Adventurer

Help

Do you know any tricks for getting a crusty stator out? I got the bolts out and sprayed the shit out of it w/ wd40, still won't let go. Is it safe to use a propane torch on it? THANKS!!
Old 07-24-2013, 10:21 PM   #560
Luke OP
GPoET&P

Quote:
Do you know any tricks for getting a crusty stator out? I got the bolts out and sprayed the shit out of it w/ wd40, still won't let go. Is it safe to use a propane torch on it? THANKS!!
No not really, other than look for more bolts. No way on the torch, heat kills stators. A gentle flame is a great way to burn the insulation off the magnet wire, it only takes a second.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:06 PM   #561
slowpoke69
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks!

I have a new stator anyway, I was worried about how much heat the cover can take.

Getting happy now that I found Cone engineering for parts to build a scrambler style exhaust. I was pulling my hair out trying to find bends and stuff. They have some cool pieces, like a flat 4 collector.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:00 PM   #562
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,551
Luke, what's happening with the CB? Anything?
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:55 AM   #563
Luke OP
GPoET&P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
Luke, what's happening with the CB? Anything?

Hi Ladybug!

No, pretty much nothing. I'm catching up on all the stuff I neglected over the past year while I was building it. I did manage to run out of gas on the freeway, that was fun. Fortunately there was about a quart hiding in the bottom of the rotopaxes below the pickup tubes.

Oh, and I've been indulging my Sailah Syndrome.

Blaster 200 motor in a YZ125 chassis. This took a lot less time than the CB. So fast, in fact, that I finished* the project before thinking of another one to work on.

*not done finished, first ride finished.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:19 PM   #564
Entrepre-neer
Ultimate Tight A$$

Oddometer: 423
Quote:
Hi Ladybug!

Blaster 200 motor in a YZ125 chassis.

*not done finished, first ride finished.
That thing looks silly fun!!

Build thread? or pics?

CB900 Scrambler - Build Thread http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=886759
Entrepre-neer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:08 PM   #565
TwinDuro
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Quote:

Awesome!
Old 08-01-2013, 03:58 AM   #566
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,551
Now that's an interesting motorcycle. You'll have to tell us more about that.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:43 PM   #567
Luke OP
GPoET&P

I've intentionally not done a build thread on it. I didn't want the picure/posting/etc to distract from it. After the CB I just wanted to spend my free time out of the shop riding bikes, but this idea just got under my skin. So I'm getting it done as fast as I can, and getting a few rides in before the forest closes for the summer. I'll do a post build documentary thread, for sure, after things calm down.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:28 AM   #568
TwinDuro
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
I love the YZ125/Blaster swap Luke... One of the bikes I really like is the the Yamaha WR200, which they only imported for a few years in the early '90s:

Supposedly, the Blaster engine shares the bottom end with the WR200, as evidenced by the roughed-in water pump mounting/outlets on the Blaster's crank case. The main difference on the blaster engine being the air-cooled top-end, and lack of the funky electronic servo-operated power valve as on the WR.

With that said, I dig your YZ Blaster. It's like a WR200, but with better suspension, lighter weight and way more character!
Old 08-11-2013, 07:04 PM   #569
slowpoke69
Gnarly Adventurer

Hate to ask.

I've looked all over the internet and can't find the answer, can't find my book either.

I finally got my new stator cover, couldn't get the old one out, wasn't paying $80 to have it done. I hit up bikebarn for one, $47 w/ shipping.

Downside is I didn't take a picture before I unhooked the brushes, gotta stop denying the fact that I just can't remember all the crap I could when I was younger. Do you know if it matters which wire goes to which brush?

Thanks for any help, hope you're having good riding weather out there, stay safe.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:07 PM   #570
Luke OP
GPoET&P

Quote:
I've looked all over the internet and can't find the answer, can't find my book either.

I finally got my new stator cover, couldn't get the old one out, wasn't paying $80 to have it done. I hit up bikebarn for one, $47 w/ shipping.

Downside is I didn't take a picture before I unhooked the brushes, gotta stop denying the fact that I just can't remember all the crap I could when I was younger. Do you know if it matters which wire goes to which brush?

Thanks for any help, hope you're having good riding weather out there, stay safe.

I don't think it matters much which wire is which, but I can check one of my stators if you like. Here's a random image from an ebay part which shows the white wire on the left/inside and black on the right/outside.