Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2012, 10:15 AM   #76
LC Garage
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 698
Pezz, that is frickin awesome. Really appreciate you down under guys, you don't screw around,you just get the job done!
Old 10-26-2012, 11:43 AM   #77
Luke OP
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezz_gs View Post
A couple if it finished and on its first ride

sorry for the hi-jack

Now that is just plain inspiring. Thanks for posting them!

Regarding the shocks, that looks like a good option. I've been chasing my tail on these for a while and need to just pick something.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:06 PM   #78
Pezz_gs
Cant ride for crap

Oddometer: 3,719
The swing arm mod and location of the bottom rear shock mount kept the stress line near the rear axel, your swingarm is similar to mine, I added 100mm round tube and then braced it.

It is very stable to ride and with the long wheelbase easy to ride in the soft stuff. like the 6 speed gearbox and with the 460 yoshi kit its surprisingly tourqey

i have built my bike so it is easily reversable to a stock CB400/4 but doubt that will ever happen

Pezz_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:21 PM   #79
Luke OP
GPoET&P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezz_gs View Post
i have built my bike so it is easily reversable to a stock CB400/4 but doubt that will ever happen
It'd be a shame to do that to such a nice bike.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:15 AM   #80
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,441
Pezz thanks for posting your awesome bike! Where can I send you an outta sight racing sticker so you can slap it on it?? lol
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:17 PM   #81
TwinDuro
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
The motor work is looking great guys, as always, keep up the good work! Very nice precision dremeling on the trans-shaft as well. How is the DC stick welder working out?

BTW, the photo of Larry and Danny in the Defendy is great!

Your 400/4 is badass Pezz; I definitely dig it! I've always liked the slab-sided look of the 400F tank and it looks even better with long-travel suspension, knobbies, a rallye fairing and of course, the perfect seat!
Old 10-31-2012, 09:22 AM   #82
LC Garage
On Any Sunday

Lathe

As the project has moved forward, it's become more and more apparent Luke would need a lathe for turning parts. A friend of mine had one in storage and was willing to let us use it for awhile, so he brought it over and we spent the afternoon setting it up. It had been bought in pieces, not running, and never set up, so we had to do some imagineering to figure out where all the pieces and wires went. After about two hours of assembling, testing, disassembling, reassembling and more testing, we had a working lathe. There were enough permutations on wiring combinations and switch postitions, Luke finally resorted to writing them down, and that seemed to speed up the progress. There were more than a few sparks thrown before we had the wiring figured out.

Assembling drive and belts;

Wiring finished (note cover is on switch);

Luke cutting his first test part;

Old 10-31-2012, 08:13 PM   #83
TwinDuro
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Oooh...
Even though there's probably no application on this project, we need to knurl some stuff!

Old 10-31-2012, 10:45 PM   #84
DOCsprocket
Sprocket

Oddometer: 514
Can't wait to see the lathe in person. Wish we could've been there today, but Larry had to get his hot dog costume sorted out before trick-or-treating...
Old 11-01-2012, 09:05 AM   #85
LC Garage
On Any Sunday

Hopefully Luke will post an update today, he had a very long day in the shop yesterday. I went out to check on him at 10:30 PM, hoping the lathe hadn't eaten him or something and he showed me a broken cut off wheel, looks like he did dodge a bullet last night! Will let him tell that story.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:00 AM   #86
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,720
I love the design.

Has anyone ever mentioned you look just like a gravitationally challenged Kenny Roberts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC Garage View Post

Porsche Audi VW
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:38 PM   #87
LC Garage
On Any Sunday

The KING!
Old 11-01-2012, 07:55 PM   #88
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,693
He does, doesn't he?
"Be real careful which and who's dream you get caught up in!!!" ~ Jettn Jim
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:51 PM   #89
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOCsprocket View Post
.... but Larry had to get his hot dog costume sorted out before trick-or-treating...
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:34 AM   #90
Luke OP
GPoET&P

Yikes.

I put a long day in yesterday. The plan was to work on the first motor. First up was cleaning the head. I put together a cheesy soda blast cabinet and tried it out. It actually did a really good job containing the mess, but it was too small. Big enough for the part, but not enough room to move the gun around. So I gave up on trying to be neat. The soda does a really good job of cutting through paint and carbon without harming the metal.

The head isn't done yet, I ran out of soda. I think the soda would be much easier to use on a dry day. But there won't be any of those around here for a while.

Next up was the new motor. Inmate CycleFreak13 gave me a fantastic deal on a 550 motor that he had, including an oil cooler with the adapter. I don't have a picture of it, but it's a trick bit that sandwiches between the block and the oil filter cover and directs the flow to a cooler and back.

The first thing to do was check out the shifter parts. These are little metal brackets that seem to always go missing when people strip the motors to part out.

The part on the left holds the shift drum bearing and the shift fork shaft in the case. The one on the right holds the shift drum in position. I needed to make a copy of the part on the left, but it was late and I got a bit greedy making a cut with the chop saw.

That could have left a mark.

Last project for the evening; a sprocket holder for a lathe. Since I couldn't find a good 520 chain conversion for the 550 motors, I had to make one. Version 1 was done with a grinder but I wanted something a little better. Sherline sells a steel blank for their lathe that's pre-threaded for the spindle. I bought one and turned it down so that a 550 sprocket will fit on it and stay centered. That way I can spin the sprocket with the lathe to cut it down.

Earlier yesterday Rick demonstrated honing the cylinders with his new brush hone. It looked really nice except for one long scratch in one of the cylinders. So today I went in for a couple of hours and pulled apart the top end of the other motor. The motor was locked up, a bad sign. Fortunately it was just one of the pistons that was rusted up in its liner. One of the other liners had a little scratch in it, but the other two were perfect. So I'll swap the liners around and end up with four good liners in one block and one good and three bad liners in the block that gets the big bore kit.

Sorry, no pics today, I left my camera at home. Hopefully I'll remember it- and remember to clean the lens too. Those last pictures were pretty blurry in the middle.

Luke screwed with this post 11-02-2012 at 12:05 PM