User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2012, 06:08 AM   #91
cyclefreak13
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Luke

Glad to see the little sheet metal piece you were looking for was still on the engine I sent you. Can't wait to see how all this comes together.

Devin
cyclefreak13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:37 AM   #92
Luke OP
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclefreak13 View Post
Luke

Glad to see the little sheet metal piece you were looking for was still on the engine I sent you. Can't wait to see how all this comes together.

Devin
I had an idea of what it was from looking at the Fiche, but seeing an actual one is so much better.

Sorry to get your name wrong in the last post, I fixed it.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:48 AM   #93
Luke OP
GPoET&P

A little more work today. I went to The Steel Yard for some material for the swingarm and the frame extensions.

Mmmmmm. Metal.

Did a little more soda blasting. Went through three boxes of baking soda and made a little progress.

I also finished up the sprocket carrier for the lathe.

Bolts thread in from the back, a nice tight fit.

A test cut; smoothing up the already ground sprocket. Success!
Like the sign says: "Das machine ist nicht fur gerfingerpoken."

Old 11-03-2012, 03:45 AM   #94
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,274
Congrats on getting a lathe, it was a turning point for me too

I have a ton of hss and carbide tool blanks and more than happy to send some out to you, shoot me your address if you would like

Bike looks awesome

Nessmuk
sailah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:37 AM   #95
TwinDuro
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post

Like the sign says: "Das machine ist nicht fur gerfingerpoken."
Exactly!
Old 11-06-2012, 12:43 AM   #96
Luke OP
GPoET&P

I left my camera at home again, so no pics today.

Made a little progress, though. I pulled the piston sleeves from two of the cylinder bolcks. The plan was to swap the good ones into the block for the stock motor and put the scratched and rusted ones into the block that is going to be bored. Standard procedure is to put the block into an oven at 200*. Not having a spare oven, I bought a couple of foil disposable lasagna pans at the grocery store and make a mini-oven with them. Heat was from a heat gun. It worked pretty well. Especially since it took a lot more than 200* before the liners dropped and when they did there was a lot of oil smoke.

Another nice* discovery was made on Cyclefreak's motor. There's an oil pump on the transmission shaft who's pickup is routed differently on the 550 and 650. This was the first time I'd seen how the 550 works, so if I stick with the 650 sump (it has more oil capacity and a baffle) I can duplicate the 550 oiling.

*nice as in, really really nice to discover it now.

There was some big critter out in the woods tonight. I thought it sounded a bit like a coyote and a bit like an owl. Rick said a neighbor saw a bear the other day. Danny said bark and bark and bark and bark and bark until they let me inside.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:27 AM   #97
Luke OP
GPoET&P

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
Congrats on getting a lathe, it was a turning point for me too

I have a ton of hss and carbide tool blanks and more than happy to send some out to you, shoot me your address if you would like

Bike looks awesome
That would be great. Thanks!

It's been too long since the bike's been together. I miss seeing it on it's feet. That was encouraging.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:57 PM   #98
decafe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
l luv these guys

Been caught up in reality.shore house flooded by sandy. But this build looks epic. I will be following
decafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:05 PM   #99
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafe View Post
Been caught up in reality.shore house flooded by sandy. But this build looks epic. I will be following
Dude! Glad you are still afloat.
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:01 AM   #100
LC Garage
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafe View Post
Andrew! Glad to hear from you, bummer about the big storm, hope things aren't too bad for you and yours. What have you been up to, any plans to share? (Beyond mere survival of course)
Old 11-09-2012, 12:18 AM   #101
Luke OP
GPoET&P

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC Garage View Post
Andrew! Glad to hear from you, bummer about the big storm, hope things aren't too bad for you and yours. What have you been up to, any plans to share? (Beyond mere survival of course)

+1

Old 11-09-2012, 01:05 AM   #102
Luke OP
GPoET&P

So yesterday Alex and I could have worked on the bike, but it was sunny. And that's not the sort of thing we pass up in the middle of November around here.

Looked good, and was even better because I'd never ridden these trails before.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:49 AM   #103
LC Garage
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 683
Corey came down this weekend to give Luke a hand. Here they are lapping in the valves on Engine #1, we are still working on Corey's understanding of the word "finesse";

Everyone has an opinion (or two) on how Luke should build his creation;

Here is Loud Al documenting progress;

Saturday afternoon, I asked Luke where he was keeping his tools, after he pointed at this cardboard box the teasing began;
Old 11-12-2012, 10:37 PM   #104
TwinDuro
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
T'was a good weekend of wrenching on the CBZR-650 indeed!

As you all saw, just in the nick of time and despite my best intentions, Rick explained to me that a cold chisel and framing hammer weren't the proper duo of tools for doing valve work. He then showed Luke and I the correct technique of lapping in valves with the time honored suction (sometimes) cup-stick-thingy and black, wet volcanic sand-like valve lapping compound:

After all of the pits were worked out and we were left with the tell-tale consistent light gray stripe on all eight valves and seats, we moved onto the bottom end. Luke discovered that the ignition side-cover wouldn't fully seat onto the crankcase, so
the first order of business was modifying a spacer that helps hold the Dyna 2000 ignition rotor on :

Next up was some more wrench-spinnin', circlip removin' and case crackin'. Here's a photo of the bottom end completely disassembled with all of the parts ready for cleaning, inspection, cuss-mumbling, and reassembly:

Besides a bad bearing surface on the end of the primary transmission shaft (which was replaced with a perfect spare shaft from Luke's spare parts stash) everything went smooth as can be, but there's much more to tell...

I had a great weekend and it was made even better by the opportunity to finally meet the Loud Al. As all of you know, he's one helluva good guy and we wouldn't have gotten anywhere near as much done without him there.

TwinDuro screwed with this post 11-12-2012 at 10:53 PM
TwinDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:08 PM   #105
Luke OP
GPoET&P

Lots of assembly, and a little fabricating this weekend.

Start with lapping the valves.

Allan took the good pictures.

The first transmission shaft had some pitting on one of the bearing surfaces, so we swapped in the shaft from the new 550 motor. Of course, the oil passage had to be cut.

The kickstarter is half of the reason for doing all this motor work. Here's the shaft.

Bottom end done, waiting for the top end parts: the cylinder is at a machine shop getting decked, the new rings need to be gapped but otherwise it's ready to bolt together.

So, on to the swingarm. It's going to be built almost from scratch. Rick cut off the pivot tube:

I did some practice of cutting the tube for the new swingarm. I can't remember who or where, but someone on this forum mentioned that using a rod in the center of a hole saw instead of the pilot bit worked really well, and they were right.

Good fit on the practice piece, time for the real thing.

Pilot hole:

Small tool, big job. But it worked.

The pilot hole is cut:

And then the main hole:

The tube will be cut in a few different spots and then welded back together to make the swingarm.

And that was about all for the day, besides filling up three big bags of trash to haul out of the shop. Not really picture worthy.