User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2012, 10:47 AM   #31
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,429
Nice job on the plate.

But really a squeeze buld horn. I acutally beep my horn quite often: Chased a bear off the trail in front of me, around blind corners, at cars to get their attention, celebratory toots as I finish hard hill climbs, to get the attention of my riding partner as they blow past a junction...
Old 09-18-2012, 10:51 AM   #32
RuggedExposure OP
wandering the desert

Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
Nice job on the plate.

But really a squeeze buld horn. I acutally beep my horn quite often: Chased a bear off the trail in front of me, around blind corners, at cars to get their attention, celebratory toots as I finish hard hill climbs, to get the attention of my riding partner as they blow past a junction...

The horn actually took a dump somewhere between Walmart and the MVD office... I guess bicycle grade equipment can't handle the vibrations. Either way, they didn't even bother squeezing it to see if it worked. And needless to say, I went straight back to Wally world to get my $4 back.

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:29 AM   #33
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,429
That's funny shit.

You know my friends parents live in LC. Semi retired college professors from Kansas (?). Hoffmans. Know them? Don't know how big LC is. Is this a stupid question; like asking "Hey I know this guy who lives in California: Bob; know him?"
Old 09-18-2012, 12:12 PM   #34
tdvt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post

After two fiery arguments with the self righteous MVD employee, my bike was approved.

Insured, registered, plated... done!
I'd be interested to hear about the "conversations" with the DMV, if you care to share.

Anyway, good work!
tdvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:32 PM   #35
RuggedExposure OP
wandering the desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
That's funny shit.

You know my friends parents live in LC. Semi retired college professors from Kansas (?). Hoffmans. Know them? Don't know how big LC is. Is this a stupid question; like asking "Hey I know this guy who lives in California: Bob; know him?"

Afraid I don't... I've heard of a few Hoffman families down here but never met any of them.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:59 PM   #36
RuggedExposure OP
wandering the desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdvt View Post
I'd be interested to hear about the "conversations" with the DMV, if you care to share.

Anyway, good work!

The lady at the desk argued with me about needing a weight certificate (motorcycles are exempt from this in NM) and also needing turn signals. The whole process took over 2 hours. The lady kept having to talk to her supervisor and would come back telling me I was wrong, but to her surprise I had printed out the statutes and circled everything reguarding signals and weight certificates.

Its pretty sad when someone who doesn't work in your field knows your job better than you.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:23 PM   #37
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
Its pretty sad when someone who doesn't work in your field knows your job better than you.
Not completely. They are supposed to know everything (but don't until they learn via experience) - you had a specific goal in mind. When I took my 14yo daughter in with her MSF certificate to get her 100cc license I got the same run-around, but had the same printed-out proof in hand. Very large lady. Horrified that I would let me daughter ride a scooter - in Traffic!

I have wondered if it would be better to hit MVD Express - they charge you to walk in, but maybe they are smarter? Probably not.

Glad you're "legal"!

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:38 PM   #38
RuggedExposure OP
wandering the desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadester View Post
Not completely. They are supposed to know everything (but don't until they learn via experience) - you had a specific goal in mind. When I took my 14yo daughter in with her MSF certificate to get her 100cc license I got the same run-around, but had the same printed-out proof in hand. Very large lady. Horrified that I would let me daughter ride a scooter - in Traffic!

I have wondered if it would be better to hit MVD Express - they charge you to walk in, but maybe they are smarter? Probably not.

Glad you're "legal"!
Attitude determines everything. She was 110% positive I was wrong, and when I corrected her, she tried making me look like a screaming maniac. But you're right, learning by experience is how it goes.

MVD express said they wouldn't touch a custom build, I had to go to the state office.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:14 AM   #39
slimy
Wanabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Florida has the same ridiculous laws plating dirt bikes. You have given me a new angle. Thanks!!

It appears the New Mexico MVD assigned a "new" VIN number. Did you have to grind off or cover up the original VIN numbers on your "custom build" bike?
Old 09-19-2012, 05:22 AM   #40
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,045
custom bikes and WI

I was looking at doing this in Wisconsin, since like your state, you can build your own. Converting is not allowed. I like your approach. remove as much as possible to minimize the dirt bike look. Street tires would do even more....

Did you remove the original mfg tags on the frame? I would guess yes and you were assigned one from them.
Oil changed @ 14300... filter next
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:21 AM   #41
bullittman281
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
The whole no conversion thing really grinds my gears. I fail to see the logic in turning away revenue on a factory built bike with good suspension and brakes be cause it is a "dirt bike" Yet they are perfectly fine with "custom" chopper crap that has compromised suspension geometry at best, probably questionable brakes, glow worm lighting, all assembled by god knows who. They'r not going to convince me its a highway safety issue, or an emissions issue. Ever gotten in behind "the pack"?? Rather nauseating. The whole thing absolutely does not makes any sense.

bullittman
bullittman281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:06 AM   #42
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullittman281 View Post
The whole no conversion thing really grinds my gears. I fail to see the logic in turning away revenue on a factory built bike with good suspension and brakes be cause it is a "dirt bike" Yet they are perfectly fine with "custom" chopper crap that has compromised suspension geometry at best, probably questionable brakes, glow worm lighting, all assembled by god knows who. They'r not going to convince me its a highway safety issue, or an emissions issue. Ever gotten in behind "the pack"?? Rather nauseating. The whole thing absolutely does not makes any sense.

bullittman
And you can build a hot-rod with everything "minimalist" and that is just fine..... No mufflers,no fenders or windshield. Just no logic to any of this sort of thing!

When I registered my trailer with the NM DMV I ASKED for the supervisor in Deming. She came out and wanted to back her employee. Finally I just asked her point blank if she just did not want my money then. She hesitated... then we went inside and she got me the plates! Must be part of the state test for DMV is to be obstinant and not use common sense readily or be just plain argumentative for the sake of arguing.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:11 PM   #43
xr400r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,993
they are afraid someone might have fun and smile and enjoy life....!
xr400r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:52 PM   #44
RuggedExposure OP
wandering the desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimy View Post
Florida has the same ridiculous laws plating dirt bikes. You have given me a new angle. Thanks!!

It appears the New Mexico MVD assigned a "new" VIN number. Did you have to grind off or cover up the original VIN numbers on your "custom build" bike?

Since this is in a border line 'grey' area I can't really comment on it too much. But I guess if one were to need to conceal a VIN, grinding is extreme, but bondo and paint do the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by byron555 View Post
I was looking at doing this in Wisconsin, since like your state, you can build your own. Converting is not allowed. I like your approach. remove as much as possible to minimize the dirt bike look. Street tires would do even more....

Did you remove the original mfg tags on the frame? I would guess yes and you were assigned one from them.

You would be guessing correctly.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:03 PM   #45
RuggedExposure OP
wandering the desert

Well, as my luck would have it, I decided to take the carb apart and give it a good cleaning and inspection. Upon removing the brass bolt (Why in the shit is it made of brass?!) securing the pumper lever, the threads broke off inside the carb body. The threads were about 1/10", which is way too small for anything. Even eyeglass screws.

So I made a trip to the hardware store to find something that I could use with an appropriate sized diameter for the lever to rotate on, and then drill/tap the body for the larger threads. That was a great plan until the tap broke off in the hole. Awesome.

Bullitman281 gave me the idea to try and tap it out with a tiny punch and possibly back it out of the threads. That almost worked until the wall of the body broke off.

I can still fix this.