User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2012, 01:27 PM   #136
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,968
didn't realize you left family behind.
my wife and daughter and I all did this together for a year in mexico.
best group family decision ever. everyone's view expanded.
we came back to make some $ and plan on doing it again.

have you tried any amazing mole yet?
all the new and delicious foods was one of the best of the whole experience.
life is too short to not try great food???

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilderRider View Post
Sure I will share a few more thoughts. I don't have a full keyboard ( using a touchscreen) which is part of the reason the text is a bit skimpy.

But I will pause here after two weeks to make a few general observations while I try and cool down in the shade. It should go without saying that these are about me and not universal.

First, the hardest partis leaving. Missing my wife and kids is far and away the toughest part of traveling, especially for this length. I am not sure about other guys, but I genuinely enjoy spending a lot of time with my family and my wife is truly my best friend and I miss talking to her.

Second, I think it is important to take breaks. That first week of traveling 8-10 hours a day got old. And that fatigue brought me down. Need to eat too.

Having said that, it has taken me at least these two weeks to settle into a rhythm. That includes taking a day off after a couple days of riding. Also, I am only eating about one big meal each day. Which one depends on what is going on, but I otherwise snack.

On the food front, I will try not and jinx it but no major stomach issues yet. I do try and drink a yogurt each day and I think that helps me a lot. They sell some tasty yoplait ones at the OXXO. My stomach was a little off a day in Guanajuato, but I think that was just 10 days of a different diet catching up with me. That and having four whole beers over only three hours the night before with John.

I also have tried to experience local cuisine, but I am not making a big deal about that. Food is part of traveling, but a less important part to me.

Now I am going to wonder back to the beach and enjoy the sounds of crashing waves. Us mountain folk do not get to hear that often.

Finally, I will note that I seem to be averaging about 750 pesos a day so far. That includes about 200 for gas on riding days, but I tend to spend that walking around on off days. Another 200 pesos on food each day (100 on the real meal and another 100 on snacks/drinks). About 300 on lodging averaged and the other 50 on laundry/ misc.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:16 PM   #137
WilderRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlikely Cowboy View Post
Just out of curiosity, what was the cost of your Spanish immersion class? I wanted to do this on my upcoming ride as well and it would help me get an idea of the costs. Also, you are in Oaxaca, correct?
Here is the website of the school I am studying at. It has the prices. For my 5 hours a day, it is $275 (US) for the week or about 3,500 pesos. And ,yes, I am in Oaxaca.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:19 PM   #138
WilderRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
didn't realize you left family behind.
my wife and daughter and I all did this together for a year in mexico.
best group family decision ever. everyone's view expanded.
we came back to make some $ and plan on doing it again.

have you tried any amazing mole yet?
all the new and delicious foods was one of the best of the whole experience.
life is too short to not try great food???
Yeah, some time I will bring my family to some of these places. This was not the trip for it.

And while I am not afraid to try new interesting food, it is just lower on my list. I had some great grilled meat tonight and finally even tried the grasshoppers. Actually pretty tasty.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:25 PM   #139
WilderRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Today was a full one.

After another good breakfast, I had class with Luis.

After a couple of hours of class work, we walked to the HUGE mercado in the southern end of the city. Tons of fascinating stuff.

Including some piñatas.

But really they had just about everything. It was great to have Luis as a guide. Learned a lot about the food and the history of Oaxaca.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:17 AM   #140
WilderRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Yeah, I wanted to avoid an "oil post" in the DR650 thread, which is why I thought I would start here.

And I do know what oil I would use if I was home, but I am not sure about the selection here or in Guatemala. Obviously, I want something in 10w40 that will work with the wet clutch of the DR650. Plus any suggestions about logistics are appreciated.
On the bike maintenance front, I managed to track down what looks like a decent motorcycle oil for the DR650.

Changed it yesterday at 28,976 miles. Changed the filter too. Had some nice help from Bud and Sandra next door. They are a very neat couple that have been living in Oaxaca for four years. Most recently they were from North Carolina, but Bud was from Illinois and Sandra from Michigan. They are BMW fanatics and up until very recently, Sandra was riding an F650 and Bud a K75. Bud rode an R50 around the world in 1967.

They let me borrow a bucket to change the oil. After I washed it up, they gave me a beer and we chatted for about an hour. I could have spent another three talking, but I was meeting up with some students from another language school to try a carne asada place.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:43 AM   #141
WilderRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Dinner last night was fun. Hewby actually organized an outing with some of her friends from her language school and was kind enough to extend an invitation to me. We met in the zocalo and then walked over to a carne asada place they had visited before in cooking class.

One of the other guys was Derek who was riding a KLR250 from Seattle. Derek and I were just following in the back talking bikes and what not so I missed out on some of the details, but it was a fun way to eat that allowed you to try different meats, vegetables, etc.

They came around selling the grasshoppers to eat. And Derek and I tried them. My daughter will be pleased.

They were actually not bad. Crunchy and salty with a taste of lime.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:54 AM   #142
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,968
surprisingly, priced like the US to, $11.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ngine-Oil.aspx
i looked everywhere and could not find a quart of type 5 ester based oil in Vallarta. ended up with mobil 1 for $150 pesos.

Quote:
On the bike maintenance front, I managed to track down what looks like a decent motorcycle oil for the DR650.

Changed it yesterday at 28,976 miles. Changed the filter too. Had some nice help from Bud and Sandra next door. They are a very neat couple that have been living in Oaxaca for four years. Most recently they were from North Carolina, but Bud was from Illinois and Sandra from Michigan. They are BMW fanatics and up until very recently, Sandra was riding an F650 and Bud a K75. Bud rode an R50 around the world in 1967.

They let me borrow a bucket to change the oil. After I washed it up, they gave me a beer and we chatted for about an hour. I could have spent another three talking, but I was meeting up with some students from another language school to try a carne asada place.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:14 AM   #143
WilderRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yesterday was a day to work on the subjunctive in Spanish. Not a lot to say about it, other than it was very helpful.

In the evening, the zocalo was again full of activity. This time some dance class was showing off their moves.

It is hard to tell from this picture, but it was also a pretty sunset. This is looking down the street from where I am staying.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:58 PM   #144
WilderRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Today was another interesting and fun day.

Although we started out in class, after about an hour and a half, we took another field trip. This time to Zaachila. We rode the city bus for 7 pesos each/ each way. Then we took one of the little" tuk-tuk" type cabs out to the local cooperative where they sell livestock.

Including oxen

Horses

Goats. And here is Luis taking his own picture.

And pigs.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:04 PM   #145
WilderRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

After that, Luis took me to another market next door. You can get other food and poultry.

They just bundle up the turkeys live. Packets of two.

Next door, inside, is a massive meat market. Tons of stalls.

The meat just hangs there raw.

It is very fresh too. Remember the pigs down the street.

They are slaughtered and sold here the next day.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:14 PM   #146
WilderRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

After seeing all that, Luis took me just down the street to a very interesting archeological site. It is the pyramid of the tomb of the last king of the Zapotec. (Those guys from Monte Alban)

What is interesting is that it is unexcavated. It was a long story, but essentially it is preserved in sitio.

Here I am at the top. The top of the pyramid being on my left.

But here you can make out more of the bricks of the sides.
The earth has eroded just a bit.

Luis has a real interest in pre-colombian history, so he is a great guide.

We also had a great lunch of barbacoa tacos with goat meat. It was great with a beer. Also tried some mezcal finally. The passion fruit variety was great.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:08 PM   #147
WilderRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Today was a bit sad in that I said good bye to Luis and la escuela. I still learned some more good stuff, especially about the subjunctive. A difficult subject that Luis made much easier. At least in a practical sense. I would highly recommend Espanol Interactivo if you are in Oaxaca.

Other than getting a few other chores done in preparation for leaving tomorrow, the only other item of note was watching the end of the first day of the Carrera Panamerica. It started today in Veracruz. Here is the route.

The BMW's at the end.

Anyone one of us?

Old 10-20-2012, 11:02 PM   #148
jnorton1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
You have some great pics. Looks like the trip is going well, ride safe.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:17 AM   #149
littleDONKEY
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Realy nice pictures and nicw ride report...

Old 10-21-2012, 03:09 PM   #150
WilderRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

A few more pics from Friday night. It really was a crazy scene.

These next couple are for Chris. And they are the best and only you are going to get, buddy.