Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012, 03:35 PM   #76
WilderRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,742
Unfortunately, I think SLP suffers in comparison from Zacatecas. It is nice, but not as endearing.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:09 PM   #77
jackcbr600
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Wow! I would have never guessed mexico had such beautiful cities... Have safe an fun travels
jackcbr600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:59 PM   #78
WilderRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackcbr600 View Post
Wow! I would have never guessed mexico had such beautiful cities... Have safe an fun travels
It definitely has some good ones. Not every one is a gem, but there is definitely a lot more to it than most Americans think. I hope I can unearth even more as I go.

Interestingly enough, I learned a little more about my own family history and some connections to Mexico I never knew about. Coincidentally (and fortuitously) I will be going by some of it in the coming days.

And to elaborate on my previous post, SLP seems more just business and a lot of American ones. Today I saw, a Walmart, KFC, Pizza Hut, Subway, McDonald's, Sears, even a Woolworths. My hostel is two blocks from the BurgerKing and three from the Office Depot.

I will also add my short story of my first time being pulled over by a cop in Mexico. It happened just as I was entering SLP today. A muni on a scooter and another on a 125 bike motioned me over.

I started in with the stupid American routine who did not speak Spanish. They tried to explain that I had gone over a bridge and motorcycles were not allowed at least on that one, At first I thought they were just concocting something because they did not do anything until after I went by ( and they could see my foreign plates)and there were certainly no signs about that. They may have been making it up, but they were both extremely friendly. The language barrier seemed to stump them so I launched into asking for directions to the street I wanted. After a bit of puzzling, the scooter cop motioned me to follow him. I was not sure if he was taking me to the station to find an interpreter or leading the way to my street. Of course, as with most of my trip, the better nature of people showed through. He took me to the street within spitting distance of the hostel. Even made sure to shake my hand before riding away. So a pleasant ( and helpful) experience overall.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:01 PM   #79
WilderRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Nice parking space.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:47 AM   #80
alcanrider
alcanrider

Oddometer: 113
Great Report

Enjoying this RR, and thank you for posting prices of your lodging.
alcanrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:32 PM   #81
WilderRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Left San Luis Potosi this morning. After a bit of city traffic it was some fun riding. Almost everything on 110 was fun. It might have been the first fun day of RIDING in Mexico. Pretty scenery, nice curves, and lots of corn fields.

Pictures of horses for my daughter.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:33 PM   #82
WilderRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Left San Luis Potosi this morning. After a bit of city traffic it was some fun riding. Almost everything on 110 was fun. It might have been the first fun day of RIDING in Mexico. Pretty scenery, nice curves, and lots of corn fields.

Pictures of horses for my daughter.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:44 PM   #83
WilderRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

If you have been to Guanajuato, you know getting around it is more than a bit of a challenge. I was trying to find a hostel when a very nice Canadian came over to look at my bike. He has a Honda 125. He ended up being an immense help. He walked around with me and helped me find a hostel where I could park the bike. Not easy in GTO.

I took John out to lunch to thank him.

He is retired from the Canadian Air force and living here right now. He rode his bicycle from Victoria, but now rides the 125.

He showed me around GTO for a few hours.

Very pretty city.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:40 AM   #84
WilderRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

With John's help, I found a hostel that let me park the bike in the lobby. My original choice (casa de Los tios) would only let me do it after 11:00 at night.

The price of the room was a bit more at 450 pesos, but it had a pretty big room with private bath.

Bike parking from above.

It has a nice terrace. It was a nice night.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:22 AM   #85
DD977GM2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
My First post, and a tag for this RR. Im a Denver native and would love to do the same trip.
My wife is onboard with me doing one, just have to figure out the time since I have a couple mroe kids than you.

Stay safe on your travels and look forward to more updates!!!
DD977GM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:08 AM   #86
d_mob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Nice RR...

I'll be in Panama in Feb (unfortunately NOT on two wheels this trip) and will be taking a friend's boat to Cartagena for my sister-in-law's wedding. If you need any info on Colombia, let me know as my wife is from Medellin. In addition, if you need an interesting/amazing way to cross the gap, let me know and I'll link you up with a friend of mine who runs said sail boat to/from Panama (San Blas) / Cartagena. Would be an interesting and fun way for you to get to Colombia as you mentioned wanting to earlier.

Anyway, enjoy the trip, stay safe, and don't forget to put down the camera on occasion and soak it in selfishly just for you.

~ David (david.p.mobley@gmail.com)
d_mob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:52 AM   #87
WilderRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yesterday just did some fun walking around and sitting in a cafe. A fun city to walk around.

It has neat tunnels for driving too.

In the evening, I met up with John again for dinner. He then showed me a couple of bars that were neat. The one " cantina" was a bit too crowded to get a drink. Apparently because it had the cheapest drinks. I would rather pay the extra 20 per beer and be a bit more comfortable. The fact that the urinal is open and just next to the front door does not help.

Still not a terribly late night. A couple beers are usually enough for me.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:04 PM   #88
WilderRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_mob View Post
Nice RR...

I'll be in Panama in Feb (unfortunately NOT on two wheels this trip) and will be taking a friend's boat to Cartagena for my sister-in-law's wedding. If you need any info on Colombia, let me know as my wife is from Medellin. In addition, if you need an interesting/amazing way to cross the gap, let me know and I'll link you up with a friend of mine who runs said sail boat to/from Panama (San Blas) / Cartagena. Would be an interesting and fun way for you to get to Colombia as you mentioned wanting to earlier.

Anyway, enjoy the trip, stay safe, and don't forget to put down the camera on occasion and soak it in selfishly just for you.

~ David (david.p.mobley@gmail.com)
Thanks for the tip on the boat. When I get closer to Panama I am going to think harder about what and how. A lot will depend on time.

And don't worry. I am hardly going out of my way to take pictures. I am taking this trip for the trip and not to be a photographer. I am grabig a few when I can . I often up load them during my down time. When the bike is parked I do. Lot of walking around and need to rest. Those afternoon siestas seem brilliant.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:19 PM   #89
WilderRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Another picture of origami Yoda for my daughter. This is from the terrace during the day.

Today I walked up to the Museo de Momias. It was a long hike up hill.

I would say it was worth it, but it was a bit disturbing. Certainly interesting. They have what the claim is the youngest mummy in the world. A fetus of about 5 months that died while the mother was getting a c-section. The mother died too and is also a mummy. Those and the mummified babies were a bit much. I will omit an pictures.

I also went to Mercado hidalgo. Pretty neat.

There they had keychains in the shape of the fetus mummy. They were 5 pesos. I did actually almost buy a couple of those, but decided I did not want to carry them around for a few months.

The festival cervantino starts today so it is a lot more crowded and busy everywhere. Tonight I might meet John and his girlfriend to take in a free jazz concert that is a part of it.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #90
WilderRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

The link about the festival for those that are interested. Here