Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 01:58 PM   #91
TaZ9
Ultimate Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Looks like your travels are going well...

Just wondering. Based on this and your other reports, I have installed a Shinko 244 front tire on my DR650. So far I am impressed with how well it handles highway rain grooves, pavement and hardpacked sand/gravel.

Seems a little flexi when run below 25 PSI. What pressures do you recommend for highway and off road. I ride and travel light like you.

Lovin' the pics and report.

Ride Safe,

Taz9

TaZ9 screwed with this post 10-03-2012 at 07:37 PM Reason: correct spacing
TaZ9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:13 PM   #92
hvilla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Thanks for takin' us along...looking forward to more!!

hvilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:45 PM   #93
WilderRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,745
Left GTO This morning. I could have spent more time there, but I was ready to move on. I am not quite ready to stay in one place for more than a few days. I would like to go back there some time.

I made it to Uruapan. It was a pretty ride, but I will admit it was one of the first days that navigation was a bit tougher. I think I missed a turn at each interchange. In my defense some of them were poorly signed or had growth over the arrows so I could not see which way until too late.

And for those that care, I have a GPS with Bici maps Mexico maps, which are routable.I also have a paper map. It is a combination for me because neither is foolproof. But it is still a lot of sign reading. I also write down some of the town names because it is easy to forget which direction at the turn and they use names of the next town.

I will also mention there were a bunch of protests on the roads about the new labor laws. In at least one place the traffic was backed up almost a mile. It was really nice to be on a bike then. Just weaved up to the front and passed through.

Uruapan itself seems a bit boring. Patzcuaro looked pretty neat on the way here. A little better planning and I would have stopped there instead.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:49 PM   #94
WilderRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaZ9 View Post
Just wondering. Based on this and your other reports, I have installed a Shinko 244 front tire on my DR650. So far I am impressed with how well it handles highway rain grooves, pavement and hardpacked sand/gravel.

Seems a little flexi when run below 25 PSI. What pressures do you recommend for highway and off road. I ride and travel light like you.

Lovin' the pics and report.

Ride Safe,

Taz9
I tend to use the suggested pressures of 22 up front and 25 in the back, except when fully loaded bump them up to 25 and 27. I do not tend to bother airing down much unless maybe doing a lot of sand.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:11 PM   #95
Sbirkey
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Hey,

Been following the posts and look forward to a long session of drinks and stories when you get back.

Keep the posts/pics coming.

What's your next route, down 200 for some sand and surf, or staying interior-wise.

You'll have to make a note if you can detect the accent changes as you move through Mexico to Guatemala.

S
Sbirkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:41 PM   #96
WilderRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Made it to the beach, finally.

"You remember the name of the town, don't you Red?"

Zihuatenejo.

But I'll back up with a couple of pictures.

Here is part of the historic district in Uruapan.

And the room in Hotel Mi Solar.

A volcano erupted near there in the 40s and sparked a bunch of tourism. This hotel was built as a part of that. I am sure there is more to see of the area, but I think you need to dig a bit deeper than I was willing to.

My grandparents actually honeymooned near here. The lake near Patzcuaro that I rode by yesterday.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #97
WilderRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

My room was nice, but the most expensive so far at 730 pesos. It did have secure locked parking and was close enough to the historic district. It also included a very nice breakfast. I could have done without the fireworks in the alleyway until 11:00pm.

But today I got up and made my way out of the mountains/ high plateau and to the heat. Uruapan is t about 4,500 feet and Zacatecas and GTO are almost 8,000 feet , so it has been high.

The road (37) out of Uruapan is a blast on a bike, especially the first 20km. Curves every minute and lots of green.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:01 PM   #98
WilderRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

I took the cuota (tollway) from about Nueva Italia. It was a really nice road and a consistent 110kph, so I made better time than I thought. Of course I am about 130 pesos poorer, but it was worth it. For those that care, I am not paying much attention to the cuota One way or another. Whatever seems more convenient at the time.

After turning onto 200, it slowed down because there is a lot of repair work. But still a pretty ride.

Once in Zihuatenejo, I hunted down a great place. Walking distance to Playa LA Ropa. And has secure courtyard parking.

Nice private room and bath.WiFi ( but only in the lobby)

And only 200 pesos.

The only down side is no a/c. It does have a ceiling fan, but I am melting. It says it is 86, but I would swear it was near 100. Amazing what humidity will do. We Coloradans are not used to it.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:03 PM   #99
WilderRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

And the beach.

Now I figure I can be obnoxious every time I watch The Shawshank Redemption.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:06 PM   #100
WilderRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbirkey View Post
Hey,

Been following the posts and look forward to a long session of drinks and stories when you get back.

Keep the posts/pics coming.

What's your next route, down 200 for some sand and surf, or staying interior-wise.

You'll have to make a note if you can detect the accent changes as you move through Mexico to Guatemala.

S
Hey man. I assume since you joined you are now going to put that bike license to use.

I think I answered the route questions, but I am sure I will have some good stories. The beers up there may be more expensive though.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:20 PM   #101
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,753
Thanks for the updates. Nice info about the hotels.

Got more photos? Any observations from the road? Feel free to share. The rest of us are stuck in cubicles for now...
Old 10-06-2012, 09:21 AM   #102
WilderRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

A few more pics of Zihua.

Playa La madera

And some Lady of the Sea
Old 10-06-2012, 09:23 AM   #103
WilderRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Going back here is a view to the northwest in Uruapan.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:55 AM   #104
WilderRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowBee View Post
Thanks for the updates. Nice info about the hotels.

Got more photos? Any observations from the road? Feel free to share. The rest of us are stuck in cubicles for now...
Sure I will share a few more thoughts. I don't have a full keyboard ( using a touchscreen) which is part of the reason the text is a bit skimpy.

But I will pause here after two weeks to make a few general observations while I try and cool down in the shade. It should go without saying that these are about me and not universal.

First, the hardest partis leaving. Missing my wife and kids is far and away the toughest part of traveling, especially for this length. I am not sure about other guys, but I genuinely enjoy spending a lot of time with my family and my wife is truly my best friend and I miss talking to her.

Second, I think it is important to take breaks. That first week of traveling 8-10 hours a day got old. And that fatigue brought me down. Need to eat too.

Having said that, it has taken me at least these two weeks to settle into a rhythm. That includes taking a day off after a couple days of riding. Also, I am only eating about one big meal each day. Which one depends on what is going on, but I otherwise snack.

On the food front, I will try not and jinx it but no major stomach issues yet. I do try and drink a yogurt each day and I think that helps me a lot. They sell some tasty yoplait ones at the OXXO. My stomach was a little off a day in Guanajuato, but I think that was just 10 days of a different diet catching up with me. That and having four whole beers over only three hours the night before with John.

I also have tried to experience local cuisine, but I am not making a big deal about that. Food is part of traveling, but a less important part to me.

Now I am going to wonder back to the beach and enjoy the sounds of crashing waves. Us mountain folk do not get to hear that often.

Finally, I will note that I seem to be averaging about 750 pesos a day so far. That includes about 200 for gas on riding days, but I tend to spend that walking around on off days. Another 200 pesos on food each day (100 on the real meal and another 100 on snacks/drinks). About 300 on lodging averaged and the other 50 on laundry/ misc.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:06 AM   #105
captkumu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilderRider View Post
And the beach.

Now I figure I can be obnoxious every time I watch The Shawshank Redemption.
Great Ride Report....... I love your Picture's of Z-Town I spend a lot of time there and have many friends there... It is a great example of a classic Mexican seaside town.....John
Back on the Ferry Riding Mexico 2012
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=824619
captkumu is offline   Reply With Quote