Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #1
Lason OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Hello, all

Hello,

I'm new here and thought I'd introduce myself. I'm from Olympia, WA and am contemplating getting a sidecar rig in the nearish future. Sooner that I had originally planned as someone stole my car a week ago and I'm not terrible confident about my chances of its return. MotoJ on the Russian Iron forum (new there as well) recommended that I might be able to meet some more local hackists here.

I've already been reading through the Hal Kendall book. Anyone have any more info in the way of general tips, places that do DOL testing in the vicinity or good places to look for a 2WD Ural at a decent price?

-Nick
Lason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:37 PM   #2
whitham_wannabe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
You're in the right place ... seems like the pnw is sidecar central.

Training - talk to Red Menace, he's just down the road (a little) in Hood River.

Jay at DMC is an invaluable and helpful resource, and really close to you.

Welcome!

Travels With Bruce : More Travels With Bruce
whitham_wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:47 PM   #3
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,156
Howdy Lason,

Welcome to ADV-Rider and hopefully soon the strange world of sidecars. I'll second getting training from Vernon, I think his class is accepted by the licensing folks in Washington but check to make sure. I suggest joining "Soviet Steeds", http://sovietsteeds.com/forums/index.php if your interested in Ural's, in my opinion its the best web site going for the Russian rigs.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:55 PM   #4
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,292
Welcome to Hacks, Lason.

I don't think the DOL actually does any sidecar testing anymore. HERE is a list of locations that do the DOL test.

FWIW, I got my training in Oregon from Red Menace. Presented my card at the DOL in Tacoma and it was accepted, even though Red Menace had told me that it probably wouldn't because he is based in Oregon.
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #5
dholaday
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Lason:

I'm not certain, but I think that WA now requires you to take a class before getting your license endorsement. Check with the DoL. Regardless, IMO you should take the class before buying or riding a hack.

Agree that Vernon does a great job. So do the Evergreen Safety Council folks. Pretty much the same course of instruction but Vernon's is on grass and ESC on pavement. Vernon posted a while back that he might be losing access to the field he uses and thus might not be able to do further training. Here's the link to his website:

http://adventuresidecar.com

Also read "The Yellow Book". You can google it or Jay at DMC has copies for sale.

good luck.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:31 PM   #6
Trayvessio
Super Strom Trooper

Oddometer: 104
If you want to check out a new Ural close to you, I would suggest visiting South Sound BMW in Fife, WA, near Tacoma. They usually have a 2WD Ural in stock.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:46 AM   #7
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer: 5,166
My last class for the season is scheduled for the last weekend in September. I only have one student registered, so I may need to cancel it. I have not filled a class all summer and I won't have this field next year so I am seriously considering suspending operation next season. If you want to take this class from me you should sign up for the upcoming class by calling 541 386 2055 during the school week or follow the links at adventuresidecar.com to the community education online registration. Don't delay, as I will be making a decision about this class before the end of next week.
RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #8
WU7X
The Old Fart

Oddometer: 1,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
Welcome to Hacks, Lason.

I don't think the DOL actually does any sidecar testing anymore. HERE is a list of locations that do the DOL test.

FWIW, I got my training in Oregon from Red Menace. Presented my card at the DOL in Tacoma and it was accepted, even though Red Menace had told me that it probably wouldn't because he is based in Oregon.
Hello Lason!

I want to second what both Mr. Cob and Drone said about Vernon's (the Red Menace) Adventure Sidecar class in Hood River. I took the class last October, the next Monday walked into my local DOL office and presented them with the paperwork Vernon gave me, and walked out with my sidecar license.

DOL doesn't do the exams anymore. You'll have to find a local dealer or trainer to help you there. Drone's list will give you all the infor you need I'm sure.

So welcome to the crazy farm. Just beware that hacks are terrible addictions! You'll soon be reading crazy stories about what sidecarists do for fun. And you'll soon wonder what you have gotten yourself into.

p.s. If you ever learn how to get your wife/girlfriend/significant other fired up enough to try driving, please let me know how you did it. Being monkey in the chair is a fun time too!
I was born lost and take no pleasure in being found." ~ John Steinbeck

WU7X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:45 AM   #9
leejosepho
Sure, I can do that!

Oddometer: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by WU7X View Post
... If you ever learn how to get your wife/girlfriend/significant other fired up enough to try driving, please let me know how you did it. Being monkey in the chair is a fun time too!
I drove us over to a large parking lot one day and suggested she give it a try, and I got at least a few first-gear "monkey laps" around that lot!

Welcome, Lason!
Old 09-09-2012, 10:59 AM   #10
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,927
If you don't get into Red Menace's class check with the Evergreen Safety Council. Their class that I took was held at the South Seattle Comm College.
For a 'decent' price on a Ural? Pick a dealer. New ones pretty much sell for MSRP so don't expect to pay less but don't pay more.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:14 AM   #11
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
You either need to take the class or go to one of the companies that offers the class the pay them to give you the test. The DOL as of August no longer offers testing.
Let me know if we can be of any help at all. We are just up the road in Enumclaw. We build 7 different sidecar and can help you with mounting hardware should you want to go that route. If you did go up to South sound BMW to take a look at the new Ural bikes they also have a really nice R1200GS rig that we built no long ago however I heard that there may be a deposit on it now.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
2328 roosevelt ave
Enumclaw WA
jaydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:27 PM   #12
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,069
You guys have to obtain a specific "sidecar license" for WA?

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:33 AM   #13
BeeMaa
Hack Pilot

Oddometer: 1,092
Lason - Welcome to the Asylum and to hacks.
As you can see there are a ton of resources in the PNW for you.
Use them and get some training.

On the licensing of sidecar pilots - what about those who move to WA that already have a sidecar and a MC licence but not a sidecar specific licence?
VA doesn't have a sidecar/trike licence.
Would an out of state sidecar class count as training?

Apologies for the hijack.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. Robert A. Heinlein
BeeMaa is offline   Reply With Quote