User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2014, 07:27 AM   #1
Uncle Duke OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Wanna see a MotoGP Free (sort of free?)

Greetings Everyone and Uncle Duke here hoping everyone is weathering the glacier gripping most of our country. I just got a request from Circuit of the Americas asking us to help out with the upcoming MotoGP race April 10-13. Here is the volunteer link: http://circuitoftheamericas.com/volunteer-motogp.

Things down in Austin should be much different this year. For one thing, well, its not the first year any more so a lot of the glitches we encountered last year will for sure be handled. Secondly, while details are not available yet, the Track is working with a few hotels to get us a better rate for lodging than last year.

One thing that won't change is the work: we get to help out at one of the most amazing tracks on this blue planet and as past workers know, ya just can't get a better view of the racing action than from working a corner station.

If anyone has any questions, either call Jeannie Caulfield at COTA (512) 655-6592 or the main number (512) 301-6600. And of course, you can always call me at my home number of 517.626.7454 or my cell phone 517.927.8023. Uh, when I'm not Uncle Duke, the rest of the world knows me as Ken Browde.

One more thing: don't worry if you have limited or no corner marshal experience at this time. Just be sure you put down on the volunteer application that you are an ADV member! Last year the track learned that each and every ADV volunteer was great, learned the ropes in record time and truth be told, it was ADV volunteers that essentially saved the bacon for the track as they were short-handed going into race week. We have the utmost respect from both Indy and COTA MotoGP staffs and I think that is pretty cool indeed!

So hope to hang out on a corner with everyone and I really hope everyone that volunteered last year will be coming back for even more fun this year!

Many thanks for your consideration and please SIGN UP NOW!!!

All my best,

UD (ken browde)
Uncle Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:48 AM   #2
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,514
In
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:18 AM   #3
Swashbuckler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Applied

Previous Bikes: 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R / 2009 F800GS / 2010 Triumph Daytona / 2004 CRF450R - Supermoto / 2007 GSXR 750 / 1991 Yamaha XJ600 Secca II
Swashbuckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:28 AM   #4
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,889
In!
Just replied to their email of acceptance, had a great time last year.
Free? My only cost last year was gas money, I camped in the parking lot with quite a few other volunteers.

GL1800
FZ-1 For sale
Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:14 PM   #5
car94
What's this Box for?

Oddometer: 3,181
In,I Kinda expected to get a email from Kathy or Sandy about this. is this different than what I did for the Moto Gp at Indy or USGP F1 at COTA?
Old 01-26-2014, 04:59 AM   #6
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,889
I think it's different in that working one event doesn't automatically put you a list for every event. However I did get invites to the F1 last October. Didn't go but I'm going to try to work F1 this year.

I did get an email from them Dec 12 asking if I was going to volunteer for MotoGP.

Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:10 AM   #7
Uncle Duke OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Yep its different!

Quote:
Originally Posted by car94 View Post
In,I Kinda expected to get a email from Kathy or Sandy about this. is this different than what I did for the Moto Gp at Indy or USGP F1 at COTA?
Sandy and the USAC crew are not in charge of this event so signing up is a bit different. Please go to the volunteer link I placed at the top of this thread and apply directly. Don't wait for an invitge from the track....we're working on that for next year but this year, we all have to be pro-active.

IF you or anyone has any questions, please contact me at the numbers I put on the first parft of this thread, or shoot me an email at buffalo2stbreath@aol.com. Any old timers on this thread should figure out the bike I refer to with my email addy. Or just call me on my cell of 517.927.8023.
Uncle Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:12 PM   #8
car94
What's this Box for?

Oddometer: 3,181
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Duke View Post
Sandy and the USAC crew are not in charge of this event so signing up is a bit different. Please go to the volunteer link I placed at the top of this thread and apply directly. Don't wait for an invitge from the track....we're working on that for next year but this year, we all have to be pro-active.

IF you or anyone has any questions, please contact me at the numbers I put on the first parft of this thread, or shoot me an email at buffalo2stbreath@aol.com. Any old timers on this thread should figure out the bike I refer to with my email addy. Or just call me on my cell of 517.927.8023.
I did, Forgot to mention the ADVrider thing!
Old 01-27-2014, 12:47 PM   #9
urbanXJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,875
glad I saw this thread I got the letter form COTA on Jan 22 and I didn't even notice

looks like Im going to be a track marshal

Old 01-27-2014, 04:37 PM   #10
Swashbuckler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Got an email today saying I was selected

Previous Bikes: 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R / 2009 F800GS / 2010 Triumph Daytona / 2004 CRF450R - Supermoto / 2007 GSXR 750 / 1991 Yamaha XJ600 Secca II
Swashbuckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:18 PM   #11
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Me too. I guess they'll take anybody

<=====
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:09 AM   #12
flars
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Got my acceptance email today...
I will be the old guy towing the walker with attached oxygen bottles ("must be able to run long distances").
I worked the esses at Road Atlanta in the WERA championships back around 1988. I was stationed at the top of the esses, and had to run all the way down to the Armco at the bottom a couple of times to help fallen riders. Why I didn't stay down behind the Armco, I will never understand - after all - all the riders ended up down there when they fell. Now that I am older and wiser, I will be sure to study the ground carefully in order to minimize the effort required for pursuing errant riders. I will also wear comfortable shoes.
flars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:38 AM   #13
flars
Gnarly Adventurer

BTW - I reserved a room at the Drury Inn (two queen beds, non smoking, for Thurs, Fri, Sat), in case anyone wants to go halvsies. Ladies preferred.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:23 PM   #14
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flars View Post
BTW - I reserved a room at the Drury Inn (two queen beds, non smoking, for Thurs, Fri, Sat), in case anyone wants to go halvsies. Ladies preferred.
what about some soft water balloons and a tuck?
Old 02-19-2014, 04:19 PM   #15
flars
Gnarly Adventurer

Now that's just nasty.
Lock the door and I will get back to you...