User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2013, 10:07 PM   #1
TheReaper! OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
My Silverwing Project

I bought this from a REPO man with 1200 miles on it , who originally did the repo then bought it from the bank .

He bought it to fix and wound up just storing it for several years . Then I bought it for $1,500 ,
I turned down an offer of $2,200 for it .
While it doesn’t look bad in the picture , every plastic panel was damaged , some even twisted
in the slide . I actually used a heat gun to reform some of the plastics .
To date $1,645 invested + 30 hours of my time .

As purchased .

This is the naked bike

This is the bike after 30 hours work and not one new part other than $70 worth of paint supplies .
I finished it this afternoon .

Under the camo is a new Silverwing scooter with 1200 miles in it , on the outside ..............you be the judge .

TheReaper!
TheReaper! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:57 AM   #2
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,216
I like the camo paint- the scooter came together great, and with less than $2k invested for a Silverwing, you have your transportation needs covered for a long time- long distance crusing included.

How do you like the handling? I've always admired their road abilities, but after only having sat on 1 or 2 they seem like fairly stout beasts- I think they weigh about 50 lbs more than my GS (which is frankly way too heavy for my taste!).

Nice to have a brand new ride isn't it?

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:18 AM   #3
johnyrrr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
I like it, but what happened to making it a 650 Ruckus?
johnyrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:23 AM   #4
majorpayne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyrrr View Post
I like it, but what happened to making it a 650 Ruckus?
This. Would. Be. Awesome.
majorpayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:12 AM   #5
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,712
Was there any other damage aside from the bodywork? I'm not a fan of camo paint on a bike/scoot but that seems to work. Could we get a better picture (without background glare)?

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:28 AM   #6
TheReaper! OP
Studly Adventurer

With the 582cc liquid-cooled four-stroke parallel-twin and a curb weight of 551 pounds , you have a very good CC to pounds ratio . So power is no problem . The Reflex and the Big Ruckus had the worst CC to pound ratio IMO . That said , the re-jetting and the jcosta made the Big Ruckus into a different scooter , in fact it worked so well it was like you added another 100 CC's to it . Had it not , I would have sold the first one in short order . As far as handling goes with the SW it's OK and it's a fairly quick scooter . When you first ride it it feels a little on the long side , but seating is short . In other words for a larger scooter it leaves some one my size a little short of leg room . The SW is plenty long enough , the problem for me is the seat is to far forward so the seat butt stop has to go . Once removed leg room problem solved .

As far a conversion to a Big Ruckus type scooter , I now believe that using a 650 Burg would be a better choice . I'll explain my thoughts on this in another thread at a later date .

As far as why did I go this route with this particular unit , after looking at it and giving it some serious thought , it was just the best way to go all things considered . Now from a few feet away it just looks like a SW with a custom paint job , this is until you get up close than you can see some evidence of the accident . That said it's rock solid with no rattles now , cosmetically it doesn't compare to a new one , but it's AWESOME for a SW with 1200 miles on it and $1,645 .

I learned a lot from this endeavor and to be quite honest , I would do this 10 times over before I would buy another new scooter at the dealer .

TheReaper!
Old 09-17-2013, 08:33 AM   #7
FoldArt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Anyone over 5'8" is going to feel a bit restricted in the seating unless the butt stop is removed. Best thing is to cut a couple of metal bars and raise it into a back rest.

Re: handling - the stock fork is a bit soggy. Three ways to fix it up a bit. Either refill the fork with heavier oil (20 weight or thicker), shim the stock springs and use heavier oil (one of the advantages of a single triple crown is that you can remove the fork legs without taking any of the plastic off) to compress the stock springs, or discard the stock springs and replace with HyperPro springs. This option yields much better tracking than stock at the cost of some of the cushiness.

Another nice upgrade is to toss some Dr Pulley sliders in the variator. I have two sets (24g and 21g) and have used eight 21g sliders and a 4/4 mix of the two. Either setup allows for much better acceleration and gets rid of most of the rumble when first taking off. I used to have a J Costa variator, which was fantastic, but it wore out quickly and is expensive to replace. The Dr P's are a decent substitute for the JC.

Glad you are enjoying it and hope you hang onto it. You've certainly scored a good deal. One thing you may come to appreciate about the Silverwing is the simplicity of maintenance and the long intervals between maintenance.
FoldArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:49 AM   #8
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReaper! View Post
I learned a lot from this endeavor and to be quite honest , I would do this 10 times over before I would buy another new scooter at the dealer .
Hard to argue with the quality of the product you have versus the investment. How many people have a near new 600cc scooter with less than 2 bills in it. How many can say that about even a Japanese 150cc?!

I have been watching vids on Plastidip spray for cars, and have seen some pretty ugly paint issues covered up with it (you have to put on a 3-4 coats to make it easier to remove). For future reference, this might be a cool way to go- they have lots of other colors than OD green, and the gloss can be brought out as well. I'm liking your purchase- near new scooter, patch up the ugly, spray it with a hiding finish and gain great transport on the cheap. Well done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgWD2mMDsEI

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:50 AM   #9
TheReaper! OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638 View Post
Was there any other damage aside from the bodywork? I'm not a fan of camo paint on a bike/scoot but that seems to work. Could we get a better picture (without background glare)?
No damage other that the plastics , the accident was a slide that fortunately didn't hit any thing . I'll try to post a few more pics later .

TheReaper!
Old 09-17-2013, 08:55 AM   #10
TheReaper! OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoldArt View Post
Anyone over 5'8" is going to feel a bit restricted in the seating unless the butt stop is removed. Best thing is to cut a couple of metal bars and raise it into a back rest.

Re: handling - the stock fork is a bit soggy. Three ways to fix it up a bit. Either refill the fork with heavier oil (20 weight or thicker), shim the stock springs and use heavier oil (one of the advantages of a single triple crown is that you can remove the fork legs without taking any of the plastic off) to compress the stock springs, or discard the stock springs and replace with HyperPro springs. This option yields much better tracking than stock at the cost of some of the cushiness.

Another nice upgrade is to toss some Dr Pulley sliders in the variator. I have two sets (24g and 21g) and have used eight 21g sliders and a 4/4 mix of the two. Either setup allows for much better acceleration and gets rid of most of the rumble when first taking off. I used to have a J Costa variator, which was fantastic, but it wore out quickly and is expensive to replace. The Dr P's are a decent substitute for the JC.

Glad you are enjoying it and hope you hang onto it. You've certainly scored a good deal. One thing you may come to appreciate about the Silverwing is the simplicity of maintenance and the long intervals between maintenance.
Agree 100% , especially on the ease of maintenance , compared to the 650 burg it's child's play . That said my 650 burg rides like nothing else out there .

TheReaper!
Old 09-17-2013, 08:57 AM   #11
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReaper! View Post

Under the camo is a new Silverwing scooter with 1200 miles in it , on the outside ..............you be the judge .

TheReaper!
Where's the gun rack and semi-knobbie tires?
Old 09-17-2013, 12:31 PM   #12
MiniBike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugby4life View Post
Where's the gun rack and semi-knobbie tires?

There you go! Then just look over your shoulder and watch the DHS drone following you wherever you go.
MiniBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:02 PM   #13
TheReaper! OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638 View Post

Old 09-17-2013, 03:00 PM   #14
blackcat54
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Reaper,

I noticed your red lift. Who makes it? Happy with it?
blackcat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:00 PM   #15
TheReaper! OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat54 View Post
Reaper,

I noticed your red lift. Who makes it? Happy with it?
Harbor Freight , I got it for $185 plus I put a Condor wheel chock (a must)
Yes I am VERY happy with it , but not as it came from the factory . IMO the way it came out of the box because of their crap chock set up , it was a PIA to use you had to tie the bike down like you were trailering it . With the Condor you just drive into it and that is it , bike is locked in then just jack it up . Look around on Craigslist they pop up every once in a while in the $200 range , when they do grab one if you have the room for it . Just remember the stock wheel chock is a POS .

TheReaper!