User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2013, 10:10 PM   #1
GREY.HOUND OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
Day trip to Sequoia/Kings Canyon NP

My buddy sent me a text Friday night, "Want to ride tomorrow?" So, it was decided. We left at 7AM this morning, east into the rising sun. Which was literally pain in the eye.
This is him:

Climbing the aptly named Kings Canyon Highway, I hit a bump in the road then heard a bump on the road. These two pics were taken upon returning home.

The culprit:

Fortunately, I just got a bungee net Friday from Amazon and threw it under the seat before leaving, so I was able to keep the topcase attatched to the bike.

We arrived about 9AM, paid our $10 entrance

and turned south on Hwy 198, The Generals Highway. We stopped at the Wuksachi Lodge for a bit. Seems like a really nice place to stay. The restaurant is pleasant.

Heading toward the General Sherman Tree , we stopped to view the valley from which we ascended.

The temp on the valley floor was about 102 this afternoon, it wasn't quite as nice going down as it was going up the mountain.

We decided we were too lazy to make the walk to the General Sherman tree, actually not the walk to the tree, but the walk back up so we just kept on riding.

We wanted to go to the tunnel tree, but the road was closed and we didn't feel like taking the shuttle. Reality, we're not great tourist but enjoyed our tour anyway.

Heading back toward the exit we stopped to look out over Kings Canyon NP

After stopping for a quick drink in Grants Grove, we hit the road down to the Valley floor. Again, too lazy to walk the trail to the the General Grant tree but enjoyed some shade under one of the "smaller", "insignificant" trees in the parking lot.

Next time we head this way, we'll go straight to Kings Canyon, to Roads end.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:23 PM   #2
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,622
is that all? I guess you must live very close to the trees!! since you did not take many pics, but then again, the road is so cool!!! I have been there only once and did not finish the loop since i was order to turn back.

nex time amigo!!

Good few pics!

Damasovi
Old 09-08-2013, 01:30 PM   #3
BanthaBob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Hey what caused the bracket to fail like that? I assume the plastic was made to brittle to handle the vibrations and fractured. So it was basically designed to fail.

Would have to look into replacing that with a metal bracket.

Ty for posting about the product failure. I hate to think what would happen to a passenger who is ejected into oncoming traffic through no fault if their own.

I'll need a top box for storage but regardless of which box, I'll seek out a metal shop to fabricate a metal bracket.

BanthaBob screwed with this post 09-08-2013 at 06:13 PM
BanthaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:32 PM   #4
GREY.HOUND OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Damasovi, I do live about 45 miles from the entrance but still don't get there enough. As for pics, I just get going with the ride and don't think about pics until we stop.

Bantha, I don't know exactly what caused it but a metal one would be nice. It is an official Aprilia topcase/bracket too. I may just order the Givi that way I can get the integrated stop light and go for 45 liters sicne I commute and occasional shop with it. According to the Givi website, the bracket seems more secure. Of course it's a $4 replacement part for the OEM, or a few hundred for the Givi set up.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:45 PM   #5
Gerg
Cupcake

Oddometer: 8,324
Grey.hound,

I think you're 62 or over... If not I apologize but if you are go here and check out the Senior Pass.

Never pay an entry fee again plus camping is 1/2 price.

Gerg
a senior and loving it!

Gerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:48 PM   #6
GREY.HOUND OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Man, if I look that old, it's the 8 year olds I teach, LOL. I just turned 40 last March. No hard feelings.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:41 PM   #7
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,622
no problem amigo, i live by the ocean and ask me how many pics I have of the scooter and the sea? not many I too just ride!

Damasovi
Old 09-15-2013, 09:19 PM   #8
GREY.HOUND OP
Gnarly Adventurer

91 mpg!?

Today I had to put fuel in for the first time since leaving Sequoia NP. I filled up in the park, then rode home, rode to work once or twice this week and that's it.

When I went for a ride this morning, I noticed my fuel gauge still showed about 2/3 full but I had over 95 miles. ??? Assuming it was just being buggy I stopped at the gas station on my way out of town, filled up and to my surprise it took just over 1 gallon. I pulled out the old casio watch calculator and it showed 91 mpg. I usually get about 73/74 mpg.

Another tree for you, damasovi :P

GREY.HOUND screwed with this post 09-15-2013 at 09:24 PM
GREY.HOUND is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:10 AM   #9
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,777
you live in a beautiful area for riding. I rode through Sequoia NP about 25 years ago (man am I getting old). I'd love to go back again. Thanks for posting the pics.

klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:18 PM   #10
GREY.HOUND OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm considering the $30 annual pass to Sequoia since it is such an easy destination albeit, 90minutes just to get to the gate, and the riding in the park was really nice. But with Yosemite also a day trip away (a long day) I can pay the $80 annual pass for all Federal lands. That would allow us to load up the old family truckster whenever we wanted too.

We have talks of a ride to Yosemite in early October possibly but with the fires and such, maybe not. Maybe we'll get a rain before in the next couple of weeks to wash out the air.