User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2012, 05:00 PM   #1
ScootTour OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,491
why should I NOT buy a Silverwing?

This would be a second scooter used mostly for touring/weekend rides. I have another scooter for city which can also tour but its not really designed for that.

For touring purpose I really like the Burgman and the Silverwing. I have heard good things about both, I have heard some 'heads up' things about Burgman but over the past few months I noticed I hadnt read a single negitive word about the Silverwing but to be fair I also notice people dont talk much about that bike either way.

so now is the chance...

go.
ScootTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:52 PM   #2
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,713
Do not buy a Silverwing because I will be jealous of you.

I had a demo on a Silverwing a few years ago. Rode a Goldwing, VFR, VTX 1800, ST1300, and then the Silverwing. Had more fun on it then anything else.

The funny thing was that the 2 Honda employees that were leading the ride always jumped on the Silverwing if it was available.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:05 PM   #3
Warney
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Because it has linked brakes with optional ABS?
Warney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:09 PM   #4
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,599
Why would you want anything that reliable, fast and powerful? Hate to say it, as I'm not until recently a fan of Hondas, (got a sweet '90 PC800, which shares much of the heritage) but that is one bomb-proof set-up.

However, I think you should buy and old two-stroke Italian machine that takes tiny wheels and needs constant attention. It would make me feel better, and would make for more interesting ride reports.

When stuff doesn't break down, you need to be a better photographer to get the hits on your ride reports.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)

Canuman screwed with this post 09-07-2012 at 06:23 PM
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:23 AM   #5
Starbuck21
Manly scooterist!

Oddometer: 149
I just finished a 1682 mile trip on my Silverwing! Left Arizona and went to Sequoia and Yosemite! Hit altitudes of near sea level up to 9913 feet (Tioga Pass), never a complaint from the Wing, in fact I couldn't tell the altitude changes unless my old fat body hiked to see something! Averaged in the mid 50's MPG so can't be happier! Will post a trip report as soon as I can!
1974 CT90

Starbuck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:26 AM   #6
Mohawk Badger
Registered

Oddometer: 135
Go for it.

I'm a Burgman 650 owner and like my machine; no problems. However I have ridden the Silverwing and it's a great bike. I don't think you can go wrong with either. In fact if I had to make the choice I would decide based on which dealership was nearer to me and made me feel more welcome.
Mohawk Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:48 AM   #7
LarryRickenbacker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
If your budget allows..why not?

Howdy,

I'm very impressed with both Honda and thier dealers. Had I the money and the room in my garage, I'd surely have a SW. This is from a very satisfied Sh150i owner, btw.
LarryRickenbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:04 AM   #8
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Swing is a great machine. I just completed a 1900 mile trip on mine into central Oregon and Washington.

You mentioned that no one talks about the SWing, but I think you missed my comparison of the SWing and the Piaggio BV500 and my writeup of my trip north in this forum. There are other discussions of the bike as well herein.

In summary, the SWing is a great machine which is not overly complex and relatively easy to maintain, while at the same time capable of taking on pretty much anything you want. It has a good performance envelope and is a blast to ride. I've ridden mine all over northern California and would have no concerns about using it for a cross country tour or for local runs.

You came to the wrong place if you want to be talked out of getting a SWing...
gumshoe4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:28 PM   #9
DandyDoug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
I considered both the Swing and the Burgman. The Burgman just fit me a bit better .
The fact that the dealer is a small family run shop who made me a great deal tipped me that way over the Swing.
If the Honda dealer had the same attitude about earning my business it would have been a tougher decision.

I am pretty well satisfied with the Burgman , only had it a few days and ridden it 100 miles so far.
Going on a several hundred mile trip next week , so i will be able to say more about it then.
Doug
DandyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:40 PM   #10
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,793
deleted
1980 Puch moped

JerryH screwed with this post 09-12-2012 at 07:39 PM
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:19 PM   #11
DandyDoug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
I am new to the whole maxi thing and only have a few miles on my 2012 Burgman , but to call it's suspension plush is a stretch .
That will be one of the first things i address with the machine.
I can only imagine that the others in the same class are about the same.
DandyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:21 AM   #12
Domromer
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
You don't want a silver wing if you are heavy and carry a passenger. The suspension really can't handle it. Otherwise I can't think of a reason not to buy one. I own a Silver Wing and just for laughs my wife were in a bike store yesterday and they had a wing parked right next to a burgman. We sat on both and the Burgman has a tiny bit more legroom. But this would be cancelled out if you did the butt stopper mod which most people seem to do. The burgman does have a bit more storage. I believe the silver wings under seat storage is 55 liters were the Burgman 400 is 62 liters and the 650 is 56 liters. Not a deal breaker but I wish the Silver Wing had the Burgmans storage capacity.

Most people say the silver wing is just a hair slower than the Burg650 and with very very basic mods it will be faster. I've never done the mods as I find it plenty fast enough for my needs. I've never worked on a Burgman but from the people I've spoke to the maintenance is a bit of a hassle on a Burg. Not so on the silver wing. Spark plugs are literally a 2 minute job...better than the three hours it takes on my V-strom..gotta remove the tank, all the plastic, and move the radiator. Getting at the air filter is 5 minutes..another item the requires removing the tank on my strom. Coolant changes are very easy, and oil changes are the same as on anything else. The online community is more active for the burgman, it makes sense as they sell more, but the Silver Wing has a good if small forum but you can get just about any question you need answered there.

Hope this helps...if you have anymore specific Silver Wing question feel free to PM me.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:10 AM   #13
Tacoma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
the Silver Wing is an old-outdated design with small diameter tires and shakey handling. The frame and tire design does not match the engine perfomance, its not a well balanced and engineered scooter. Its great for back road short trips but bad for high speed highway and long distance touring adventures. To me it feels very unstable at high speeds where its unforgivable if you take away any small bit of concintration while riding,,, the SW requires deep concintration and skill to ride at high speeds,,,, I call it a "busy ride".
The problem with current SW Owners is they never did ride another maxi scooter so they have no idea that there are much better ones out there.
I have ridden them all ,the Burgman, Silver Wing and the Tmax,, and the Tmax (even if not as powerfull) is by far the winner.

I am not here to make anybody mad, just giving my honest opinion
Tacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:44 PM   #14
Domromer
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
the Silver Wing is an old-outdated design with small diameter tires and shakey handling. The frame and tire design does not match the engine perfomance, its not a well balanced and engineered scooter. Its great for back road short trips but bad for high speed highway and long distance touring adventures. To me it feels very unstable at high speeds where its unforgivable if you take away any small bit of concintration while riding,,, the SW requires deep concintration and skill to ride at high speeds,,,, I call it a "busy ride".
The problem with current SW Owners is they never did ride another maxi scooter so they have no idea that there are much better ones out there.
I have ridden them all ,the Burgman, Silver Wing and the Tmax,, and the Tmax (even if not as powerfull) is by far the winner.

I find my silver Wing very comfortable and composed on the highway. In fact I've got no problem eating or drinking while I have the cruise control engaged. I've ridden a Burgman many times. I find no difference on the highway ride quality. In fact the Silver Wing is much smoother on the highway than my Vstrom. It's hard to have an informed opinion on a motorcycle without actually owning it for a period of time. I'd speak to people who actually own Silver wings

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:58 PM   #15
rcan08
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post

But your still an #%#hole
randy