Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2012, 06:19 AM   #16
Ghog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
I ask the same thing about a 50cc scooter. Here in Indiana we are called a Moped and you have a top speed of 25mph. If you are going to pay around $3000 for a 50cc scooter I would get a Ruckus. Nobody sold ruckus around here and I didn't have the $3000.
Ghog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:16 AM   #17
vertt OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghog View Post
I ask the same thing about a 50cc scooter. Here in Indiana we are called a Moped and you have a top speed of 25mph. If you are going to pay around $3000 for a 50cc scooter I would get a Ruckus. Nobody sold ruckus around here and I didn't have the $3000.
Ruckus is very slow and has no usable storage compared to other scoots with underseat space. Looks like Kymco Super 8/9s, once de-restricted, can be alternatives to Aprilia SR50.
vertt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:27 PM   #18
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,945
I would say a Zuma with a big bore kit. No way you'll be able to keep up with traffic going 44 mph on a stock 50cc unless it's all downhill and there are stoplights at every block.
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:15 PM   #19
Ghog
Adventurer

I think you guy need to read what he said ( 30 to 35mph ) a ruckus will do that all day long. There was a guy that went across the U.S. on a ruckus at 30 to 35mph.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:08 PM   #20
InlineSkate
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
I think you guy need to read what he said ( 30 to 35mph ) a ruckus will do that all day long. There was a guy that went across the U.S. on a ruckus at 30 to 35mph.
Quote:
I would like to get a 50cc scooter that will be used to commute around town on roads where the speed limit is 45 mph with people driving anywhere from 40 to 55 mph.
Are we reading the same post?
InlineSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:25 PM   #21
Ghog
Adventurer

the 50cc scooters must not go faster than 35 mph to be excluded from the plate/registration requirements, but that's not the point of this thread!
Your guess is as good as mine????
Old 09-10-2012, 08:34 PM   #22
vertt OP
Adventurer

Quote:
the 50cc scooters must not go faster than 35 mph to be excluded from the plate/registration requirements, but that's not the point of this thread!
Your guess is as good as mine????
I've seen scooters without plates around here that were keeping up with traffic on a 45 mph road. The only scooters without plates should be those under 50cc. Maybe some were modified/de-restricted/big bore kits, maybe some were debadged higher displacement scooters. The point is - I am looking for a 50cc scooter that can go up to 50 mph if necessary. For example, the only way for me to even get to a road that has a 35 mph limit is to first travel on a 45 mph road for several miles. There is no other way at all. So I need something that will safely get me there without creating a moving roadblock. Aprilia SR 50 seems to fit the bill perfectly, but expensive and almost impossible to find used here. In this thread I wanted to get ideas about some other 50cc scooters that might work as well in this scenario. Sounds like Kymco Super 8/9 is something I can look at and they are easier to find used than the SR 50 and cheaper. I am new to the scooter scene as I usually commute by a motorcycle, but I figured this forum is a good place to start.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:57 PM   #23
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertt View Post
I've seen scooters without plates around here that were keeping up with traffic on a 45 mph road. The only scooters without plates should be those under 50cc. Maybe some were modified/de-restricted/big bore kits, maybe some were debadged higher displacement scooters. The point is - I am looking for a 50cc scooter that can go up to 50 mph if necessary. For example, the only way for me to even get to a road that has a 35 mph limit is to first travel on a 45 mph road for several miles. There is no other way at all. So I need something that will safely get me there without creating a moving roadblock. Aprilia SR 50 seems to fit the bill perfectly, but expensive and almost impossible to find used here. In this thread I wanted to get ideas about some other 50cc scooters that might work as well in this scenario. Sounds like Kymco Super 8/9 is something I can look at and they are easier to find used than the SR 50 and cheaper. I am new to the scooter scene as I usually commute by a motorcycle, but I figured this forum is a good place to start.
Check your state laws. The only reason 50 cc scooters get away with not having to get a plate is because they are only supposed to have a top speed of 35 mph. So even if you de-badge a bigger scoot and run it without plates, it might draw unwanted attention if you're cruising at 50 mph without a plate.

I have a 2005 Zuma 49cc 2 stroke and it is perfect for commuting to downtown Denver. But I only have to take roads with speed limits of 35mph to get there. Anything higher than that is seriously pushing it. I've taken 40 mph roads before but try not to. Especially around here where there are hills all over the place.
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:24 AM   #24
alicethomas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
In EU and Switzerland you may drive a 50cc scoot unrestricted, if you have at least the driving license class "A1".
But even the strongest and fastest 50cc scoot, the Aprilia SR50R with impressive 4.2kW=5.7hp, has an official top speed of "only" 78kph=48mph.
I.e. the Honda Lead 100 needs 5.2kW=7.1hp for official 81kph=50mph.
With the usual ice engine and vario transmission, no legal 50cc scoot will reach 50mph. Perhaps with efficient 4.xkW electric wheel hub motor.
alicethomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:10 AM   #25
GaM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,877
I think you'll have trouble if they see you doing 45 mph in VA and don't have a tag. Saw this for VA on the moped wiki at mopedarmy.com :

No moped shall be driven on any highway or public vehicular area faster than 35 miles per hour. If you operate a moped faster than 35 miles per hour, Virginia law deems this to be operating a motorcycle, which requires you to title and register the moped as a motorcycle and obtain a motorcycle license. Operation of mopeds is prohibited on any Interstate Highway Component.
GaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:49 AM   #26
tortoise2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
More states legislatures should consider the Virginia proposal:
"Operation of mopeds is prohibited on any highway where the posted speed limit is in excess of 35 miles per hour."

This stipulation would limit 50cc moped operation to more compatible traffic, negate the incentive for engine performance enhancements, and (in states that do not require a rear plate) maintain easy-to-spot moped enforcement . . observed on an over 35mph road, no rear plate, fair game.

Related Nevada report.
tortoise2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:07 PM   #27
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,797
No stock 50cc scooter is going to go 50 mph. Not even close. I have modified 50cc pedal mopeds (Puch, Tomos) to do 50 mph, but they had very short lifespans. If you see a 50cc scooter doing 50 mph, it has been SERIOUSLY modified.

Also many states are now passing laws about where you can ride a 50cc unplated scooter. 35 years ago I put over 20,000 miles on a stock Puch MaxiSport, at 30 mph, on non interstate roads. I toured 4 states, and a good part on northern Mexico. I wouldn't even consider doing it now. The speed limit was 55 mph back then. No people drive 80 mph on 65 mph roads around here. You will need at least a 125cc scooter to ride where you want to safely and legally. I recommend either a Yamaha Zuma 125, or a Genuine Buddy 125. These are both top notch scooters. I'm getting ready to buy a Zuma 125 in a few days. I would consider a Buddy for sure, but the Genuine dealer does not take trade ins.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #28
thunderkat59
Cooter on a scooter

Oddometer: 1,198
I got into a discussion with a policeman who pulled me for going 41. He refused to believe my bike was a 50. It was, but he was still correct about the parts of the law he could get me on. Most states are the same. There are top speed and unreasonably low HP restrictions that make it so they can ticket you regardless. There are loads of small frame Elites and 125's around here that have no tags so I dont think the police are consistently strict about enforcement.
thunderkat59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:11 PM   #29
GaM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise2 View Post
"Operation of mopeds is prohibited on any highway where the posted speed limit is in excess of 35 miles per hour."

This stipulation would limit 50cc moped operation to more compatible traffic, negate the incentive for engine performance enhancements, and (in states that do not require a rear plate) maintain easy-to-spot moped enforcement . . observed on an over 35mph road, no rear plate, fair game.

Related Nevada report.
Yeah we have that in GA.
GaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:38 PM   #30
vertt OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise2 View Post

Related Nevada report.
OK, so like I said - the only way for me to even get to a 35 mph road is to first travel on a 45 mph road for a couple of miles. If I get pulled over on a 45 mph road on a 50 cc scooter I guess I get a ticket under this proposal even though there is no other way to get to the 35 mph road?

Well, if I have to get a scooter that needs to be registered, plated and inspected each year and which I can't park anywhere I want (sidewalk, bike rack like a 50cc) then there is absolutely no reason for me to get one. Might as well continue to ride downtown on my 1985 Honda Nighthawk 650 with an antique plate on it, which makes it exempt from paying registration fees and having to get it inspected every year. I was really considering a scooter... but it does not make sense based on a lot of comments in this thread... oh well.