User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2012, 07:16 AM   #1
ragtoplvr OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,612
wide feet high arch road shoes

Hi, I tried the search, and wow, I am going out to ride in a few minutes so please some help.

I am 56, very out of shape. I have a Specialized Sirius, regular petals, suspension seat post and I am slow. I have a lot of visceral fat under the abs, and it limits my aerobic capacity, it has to go. It wants to stay. I weigh 210 and I should weigh 160-170 So yes, I have the body of a god, Buddha! Yes, I had a check up, right now I am in good shape but we know the future for us Buddha types. I have motorcycles to wear out. I love to bicycle ride

I am riding about 5 times a week,try to take a 30 mile plus ride every weekend (44 is my longest), average speed on these rides is around 11 to 13 mph depending on wind. I am not strength limited, I do not get sore much anymore but I do not have the wind to ride any faster. I can feel that improving and it is very slow. Maybe 1 mph per month I have about 1000 miles right now. My first ride was 11 miles at about 8 mph so I have improved a lot.

My bike shop and friends strongly recommend getting clip ons. They tell me I will be 20% faster, but with my wide feet 10EE or 10EEEE I have a high arch! I live in the boonies, everything has to be special ordered They will fit me but want me to order and deal with sending stuff back. It is expensive...
So I did a search.

I found the anti clip articles, and they make sense. I am aerobic limited now so being able to use muscles on the up stroke will just increase oxygen demand and I will get no increase. I did some of the exercises I found, ok, pain. Ned to keep up on that.

so what say the collective?

I found shimano wide road shoes for under 150, and the clips and petals are probably less than 100 more. Is this decent or maybe my wide feet will like mountain bike shoes and petals better.

Or wait until next year when I am lighter (I hope) and have more wind.

Collective advice please.

I am going to make breakfast,and ride.

Thanks in advance

Rod

]
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: