Old 09-09-2012, 05:55 PM   #16
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
the shakey handling. bad for high speed highway

I am not here to make anybody mad, just giving my honest opinion

With over 15,000 miles riding with my buddy's ZX12R, I got disagree about the handling.

TrashCan screwed with this post 09-09-2012 at 06:11 PM
TrashCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:57 AM   #17
Starbuck21
Manly scooterist!

Oddometer: 149
[QUOTE=Tacoma;19553476e its not a well balanced and engineered scooter. Its great for back road short trips but bad for high speed highway and long distance touring adventures. To me it feels very unstable at high speeds where its unforgivable if you take away any small bit of concintration while riding,,,

[/QUOTE]

Well after just returning from a 1682 mile trip on my Wing, I beg to disagree. Freeway, highway, secondary back roads with lots of twisties and the Wing did just fine! I have ridden many bikes over the years and some have been faster than the Silverwing but none as smooth. I concede that for 2-up it may be lacking but for solo touring it did GREAT!!!

1974 CT90

Starbuck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #18
ScootTour OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,491
intresting read everyone.

I think if I get a tour it will be a silverwing. The only negitive that I read here that doesnt just sound silly is the speed and that is something I dont care much about when we are talking about over 70mph because this cat aint going over 75...ever...
I will take ease of maintence over speed when talking about 70mph+ any day of the week.

On the Tmax comparision I think the Tmax is geared and focused toward sportbikers who want to get into scooter and their version of 'on the freeway' means 100mph while turning which is something I will never, I mean never ever ever do.
ScootTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:12 AM   #19
Domromer
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
I'd check out the Silver Wing forum if you haven't already. Lots of really good info.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:47 PM   #20
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,165
If you have never heard of this guy....you should.

http://www.alaskabikerun.com/1948.html

TrashCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:09 PM   #21
windburn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,180
07 with 34,000 miles on a Honda Silver Wing

In 34,000 miles I have spent $290 on repairs that where not routine maintenance. The repair was to replace a bearing on the rear clutch. I said, "It was a Honda and why would it fail?", to the mechanic . Old Pete smiles and said," I never see bikes with 34,000 miles. I have work on this bike for routine maintenance since it was new and it is a very strong bike and you sir are a Rider not just an Owner.".

windburn screwed with this post 09-10-2012 at 04:27 PM
windburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:22 PM   #22
Scott_F
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
The S-Wing is a good bike. The T-Max is a good bike. The Burgman is a good bike. The Burgman 400 is quite a different machine than the Burgman 650. There are strong points and weak points in all of them.

You can scope out the seat height, power to weight ratio, mileage and other stuff from the internet but you can't find out how they 'sit' or how they're balanced or how well the throttle and transmission work together without riding them. Do that, then find the best deal on the one with the shortest list of things you don't like.

Regards
Scott Fraser
Scott_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:32 PM   #23
Domromer
Desert Rat

This might be some interesting reading for you.

http://www.silverwing600.com/t461-ar...he-silver-wing

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:31 PM   #24
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,796
Another possible issue might be valve adjustment. A while back I was looking at maxi scooters, and one thing they all seem to have in common is absolutely ridiculously difficult valve adjustment procedures. Most of the time it is not the valves themselves, but the fact that you have to completely disassemble the entire scooter, even to get TO the valves. I would be interested in hearing what the valve adjustment intervals are, and what the procedure is for the SW
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:58 PM   #25
Scott_F
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Another possible issue might be valve adjustment. A while back I was looking at maxi scooters, and one thing they all seem to have in common is absolutely ridiculously difficult valve adjustment procedures. Most of the time it is not the valves themselves, but the fact that you have to completely disassemble the entire scooter, even to get TO the valves. I would be interested in hearing what the valve adjustment intervals are, and what the procedure is for the SW
That's a problem with any scooter. Space to work is tight on any motorcycle. Removing the tupperware is n additional PIA. You deal with it or you pay someone else to fix your bike.

Scott Fraser
Calgary
Scott_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:38 PM   #26
JerryH
Vintage Rider

My Vino 125 is a 10 min job. Intake valve is under the oil filler cap, easy to check every time you change the oil. I have adjusted the valves on 16 valve sportbikes, and thought that was a hassle. But I have some real horror stories about maxi scooters. So much so, that I think my choice of which one to buy would come down to valve adjustment intervals and how difficult the job was. Even the little PCX150 has 4000 mile adjustment intervals, and it takes 4 hours just to get all the plastic off and back on again. I've heard some people say to just ride it till it quits, and not even mess with the valves. I've also heard of dealers charging $500-$600 to do the valves. A LOT of this IS hearsay, I'd like to find out the actual facts.
1980 Puch moped
Old 09-12-2012, 06:41 PM   #27
S/W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
S/w

My Silverwing is a 2002 and has about 70k on it. It is an excellent touring bike and great on the highway. When I bought it there were no other large displacement scooters. When the Burger came out the road tests didn't make it sound any better so I still have it and can't find any bikes I would trade it in for.
The Burger looks bloated compared to the SW, and being heavier is not a performance quality point. The only reason I could see to get a Burger over a SW
is the no interest financing. And, Even that hasn't swayed me to get a Burger. The SW does the job, plain and simple!!
S/W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:37 PM   #28
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Having put over 100,000 miles on a 1500 Goldwing, I figured the Burg 650 being heavier would mean a smoother ride. I found an '07 Silverwing with 6800 miles on it, looks great. I finally found the valve adjustment intervals.

1. 600 miles
2. 8,000 miles
3. 16,000 miles
4. 24,000 miles, and thereafter every 24,000 miles.

I have no way of knowing if the 600 mile service was done, but it is getting close to 8,000 miles. I still cannot find anything about the valve check/adjustment procedure.

I did find out that the valves on a Majesty don't have to be checked until 24,000 miles, but to do it you have to remove the engine and the cams. $600 at a dealer.

For solo touring they should both work, but the Silverwing has 200 more cc than the Majesty, so it should work better for touring. Less stress on the engine at freeway speeds. I also ride a Stella 2 stroke, most likely anything is going to handle better than that (though to me that is just another part of it's charm). What all is involved in doing the valves on a Silverwing?
1980 Puch moped
Old 09-12-2012, 11:32 PM   #29
Domromer
Desert Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Having put over 100,000 miles on a 1500 Goldwing, I figured the Burg 650 being heavier would mean a smoother ride. I found an '07 Silverwing with 6800 miles on it, looks great. I finally found the valve adjustment intervals.

1. 600 miles
2. 8,000 miles
3. 16,000 miles
4. 24,000 miles, and thereafter every 24,000 miles.

I have no way of knowing if the 600 mile service was done, but it is getting close to 8,000 miles. I still cannot find anything about the valve check/adjustment procedure.

I did find out that the valves on a Majesty don't have to be checked until 24,000 miles, but to do it you have to remove the engine and the cams. $600 at a dealer.

For solo touring they should both work, but the Silverwing has 200 more cc than the Majesty, so it should work better for touring. Less stress on the engine at freeway speeds. I also ride a Stella 2 stroke, most likely anything is going to handle better than that (though to me that is just another part of it's charm). What all is involved in doing the valves on a Silverwing?
I'd post this question on the Silver Wing forum. I've got 13k on mine so I'm still a ways off.

Old 09-16-2012, 03:40 AM   #30
Tacoma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
I have to admit, being honest I am bias against all Honda Dealers, this one Honda Dealer threw me out and even threatened to have me arrested, and thats the reason I don't like the Silver Wing! I just hate motorcycle dealers sooo bad, especally Honda Dealers.
You have to understand why I hate dealers cause they are always trying to rip me off, by switching parts and wheels from my bike to another bike, not changing the oil filter and charging me for one, paying for repairs then later finding out that repair should have been covered over a recall, not paying the state the sales tax on the new bike I bought, even when I have the bill showing I paid the tax to the dealer, the state comes after me and holds my registratation and title to the bike untill the taxes are paid, by making a mistake on perpose by writting down the wrong VIN number down on the license paperwork then finding out that mistake cost me insurance coverage (if the wrong VIN number is on the insurance it isn't legally covered), selling me a used battery I thought that was new and later found out the battery wasn't any good and refused to refund my money, getting paint overspray on my bike when it was in for a new tire change, and so on and on, I have a reason to hate dealers!
Tacoma is offline   Reply With Quote