Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2012, 04:58 AM   #31
Domromer
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
This is why I do my own work. I haven't stepped in a dealership in over ten years.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:43 AM   #32
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
I have to admit

I just hate motorcycle dealers

I hate dealers

hate dealers!

Just a bit of friendly advice for you.

See if you can write a reply with out the word hate.

That really gets old and sounds very Juvenile .

Have a nice day.

TrashCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:55 PM   #33
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 5,011
OK, I despise dealers. Just dealt with one yesterday, when I bought my new Zuma 125. As usual they tried to rip me off. I thought I was going to have to walk away, as I have done so many times before, but we finally came to an agreement. Kinda ruined the buying experience though. Now that I have it, it will never see a dealer again.

To the OP, since I started seriously studying up on maxi scooters with plans to buy one, I could not find any reason at all NOT to buy a Silverwing. I sat on a brand new one yesterday, and it felt perfect. Maybe even a bit too big for a short person. And it has those nice cutaways in the floodboard, so you can put your legs straight down and easily get both feet on the ground. Now if I can just find a good deal on a decent used one.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:57 PM   #34
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
I have to admit, being honest I am bias against all Honda Dealers, this one Honda Dealer threw me out and even threatened to have me arrested, and thats the reason I don't like the Silver Wing! I just hate motorcycle dealers sooo bad, especally Honda Dealers.
Gee...imagine that.

Here...we only can send you to the Head Explody hole...but in real-life, business people have to deal with idiots who come off the street and make scenes. That's why we have police and jails.

I don't know what that has to do with Silver Wings...except that if you came in with the money to buy one, they'd have made allowances. Since you're probably near-destitute, due to mental conditions...the dealer had no choice.

If you can't control yourself, STAY HOME, If you don't, you'll wind up in jail or worse.

1999 BMW R1100RT - backsliding on the Scooter Life.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:42 AM   #35
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 5,011
I have yet to deal with a dealer (in AZ) that did not treat their customers like trash. Not just Honda dealers, but all dealers. The dealer I went to yesterday sold Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, Polaris, ans Can Am. They are all the same. They try to double the price of whatever you are buying with fees, fees, and more fees. When you question the fees, then they get all condescending and act like you are an idiot, and don't know anything. Fortunately a good friend of mine is the sales manager of a Kawasaki dealership. He explained the whole scam to me, and how it works. It's all bogus, and just extra profit for the dealer. This guy backed down when I explained it to HIM. I honestly don't know how they manage to keep all this secret. There are no such secrets in the car business, you know exactly what the dealer paid for the car, what the factory incentives are at the time, and what fees are legitimate and which ones aren't.

As for service departments, even with $100 an hour labor rates, they can usually do more damage to a bike than the owner. Most of their work is not even done by actual mechanics, but by high school dropouts. Only the really serious stuff rates an actual mechanic.

As for the Silverwing, go for it. Just keep it away from dealers and you should be fine.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:17 AM   #36
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,410
WOW two of them on the same forum....

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:46 AM   #37
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I have yet to deal with a dealer (in AZ) that did not treat their customers like trash. Not just Honda dealers, but all dealers. The dealer I went to yesterday sold Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, Polaris, ans Can Am. They are all the same. They try to double the price of whatever you are buying with fees, fees, and more fees. When you question the fees, then they get all condescending and act like you are an idiot, and don't know anything. Fortunately a good friend of mine is the sales manager of a Kawasaki dealership. He explained the whole scam to me, and how it works. It's all bogus, and just extra profit for the dealer. This guy backed down when I explained it to HIM. I honestly don't know how they manage to keep all this secret. There are no such secrets in the car business, you know exactly what the dealer paid for the car, what the factory incentives are at the time, and what fees are legitimate and which ones aren't.

As for service departments, even with $100 an hour labor rates, they can usually do more damage to a bike than the owner. Most of their work is not even done by actual mechanics, but by high school dropouts. Only the really serious stuff rates an actual mechanic.

As for the Silverwing, go for it. Just keep it away from dealers and you should be fine.
Sure. Now, without dealers, how are Silverwings going to GET TO where people can buy them?

How about parts. Or KNOWLEDGEABLE service...you gripe about dealer service, and I've had bad experiences too...but imagine if all the dealers, all the factory support, all the parts network, disappeared/

That's what dealers provide. Try getting a Chinese unit serviced, with a major problem or a warranty issue (I'm there right now with a warranty claim). Let me know how that goes.

I get that you don't like seeing the dealer make a profit. I get that you don't think he should be allowed to make money.

But that's how the world works. You like to make money; so does the dealer. And the only way he has to make money is through his business. If you think he's being unfair...go to another dealer. And if they're all that way...guess everyone is outtta step but you, huh?

1999 BMW R1100RT - backsliding on the Scooter Life.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:04 PM   #38
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,293
This thread brings it...

TrashCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:11 PM   #39
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,724
Don't buy a Silverwing because the Tmax is better!

I know this is true because I read it on the Internet!!!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:49 AM   #40
lifer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post

I too am not a fan of dealers but to be fair the real problem is the manufactures. They have gouged the dealers to the point that there is no money left for the dealer to make money legitimatly. The manufacturers do not work directly with the public and do not care about there dealers because they think there product is the greatest and think that people will buy them no matter what. This is just what happened to the U.S. auto industry. Then came the japanes and stood them on there ear. The same thing will happen to the jap bike industry sooner or later. Some of the problem also lies with our government. The manufacturers have to jump through a lot of hoops in order to sell products here and the volume is not as great as the car industry so the costs must be recovered from fewer people that pay more. The USA will learn the hard way that we are not the center of the universe. The manufactures are also the ones who still make repairs hard to access and make engines that need valves adjusted at rediculus intervals and tires that only last 5000 miles. This is where they want the dealer to make money and frustrate the owners with rediculouse maint. costs. They get away with it here because the average motorcycle owner puts maybe 2-3,000 mile a year on there bikes.

lifer screwed with this post 09-18-2012 at 09:59 AM
lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:11 AM   #41
Domromer
Desert Rat

Why not just buy used bikes and avoid dealers all together? Out of the 15 bikes I've owned only 3 have been new. It's so easy to find super low mileage bikes in excellent condition for up to 50 percent off the new price. I'm talking about bikes that are 2-3 years old.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:41 PM   #42
hexnut
just cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domromer View Post
Why not just buy used bikes and avoid dealers all together? Out of the 15 bikes I've owned only 3 have been new. It's so easy to find super low mileage bikes in excellent condition for up to 50 percent off the new price. I'm talking about bikes that are 2-3 years old.
If every one just bought used bikes then all the dealers would go out of business and eventually there would be no used bikes. Well with the exception of Chinese scooters that you can buy online. Not a pretty picture.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:39 PM   #43
Domromer
Desert Rat

There will always be a used market as there will always be people buying new.. You could choose to be a smart consumer and buy used. Let someone else pay the dealers bs fees.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:54 PM   #44
Realbtl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
I have a very good relationship with my local Honda-Suzuki dealer I think because I go out of my way to support local merchants. If they can get to within 10-15% of internet prices (and they usually can) I will give them my business. What I get out of this is:
1. Quick service if I need them to do work on one of my bikes that I don't have time/inclination to do;
2. Good prices compared to the other dealers and even a discount off their normal prices;
3. If I need a part I can just call and they will order it. No need to go 20 miles to their shop and pay in advance;
4. The opportunity to not only test ride bikes I might be interested in buying but just to get my feedback on a particular new bike they are selling. Earlier this summer they asked me to take out a Suzuki TU 250. This is not a 5 minute ride around the block but a 30-60 minute ride to check it out under various conditions.

That said, I don't particularly like the local Yamaha and Kawasaki dealers so they don't get my business. Pick your dealer carefully.
Realbtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:01 PM   #45
hexnut
just cruising

Yeah my dealer is good as well. I can get Kymco parts either at or within 5% of internet prices. I bought two Kymcos from them and did not pay any set up or transportation fees. they did charge me a doc fee of $94.50 and state law says that if a dealer charges a doc fee they have to charge it to every body across the board. Of course I paid tax title and license. But in my state a motorcycle license plate is only $14.50 per year.