Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 11:36 PM   #16
sailer
trained Cirus Bear

Oddometer: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCGS View Post
Fortunately, my CD came with the hitch already installed. Interestingly, it came with the wiring harness and a blanking plate cover for the 7-pin trailer wiring connector, but no recepticle (huh?..). I stopped by my friendly neighborhood trailer sales place and picked on up for 20 bucks. I can't imagine why the car didn't come with the recepticle already installed. Fookin' Germans!..

I'm registered at the Treg forum, but not the TDI club. I'll do that pronto.

Thanks,
how does it tow

how much weight is ur trailer w two bikes

I have a 2500 GMC as well and want to replace with smaller suv,

have a 16 foot low profile trailer (low height is the key to reduce drag ) that the I pull with 2500 do not even feel it. and it is a heavy trailer by design I wanted a heavy trailer so bikes would not bounce around

how is CD working with trailer ????
Old 12-06-2012, 06:30 PM   #17
NCGS OP
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 1,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailer View Post
how does it tow

how much weight is ur trailer w two bikes

I have a 2500 GMC as well and want to replace with smaller suv,

have a 16 foot low profile trailer (low height is the key to reduce drag ) that the I pull with 2500 do not even feel it. and it is a heavy trailer by design I wanted a heavy trailer so bikes would not bounce around

how is CD working with trailer ????
The diesel Cayenne is rated to tow 7,716 lbs. I had a 16 X 7 Haulmark set up to haul 5 bikes, but now that I'm down to two, I no longer needed the big trailer. I found a used 6.5 X 12 Featherlite (all aluminum) on Craiglist (local - lucky me..). I picked it up for $2500. I put e-track and two Condor chocks in the floor. The bikes are plenty secure when tied down.

The Cayenne does a great job of hauling the trailer with two bikes. In fact, it's amazing how easy it hauls the trailer. The only issue I have is I wish the trailer had brakes (it doesn't), but for now I'm good with the current set-up.

Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many.
NCGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:55 PM   #18
Attico
Wrong way 'round

Oddometer: 1,818
I have been loving it. The ride is great and the engine is loosening up so fuel economy is picking up. Combined city driving with a tiny bit of highway yeilds 10l/100km which i think is great. It drives really well and looks great. I get allot of compliments on it. It is roomy for 4, and occasionally 5. It is a bit wide so parking is a bit tight -- but that is a regional thing since most people drive compact cars here so parking spots are designed that way.

I towed 4 bikes this summer in an open trailer and got good mileage and it pulled really strong. Cruise didn't surge or anything. I towed at around 130 km/h. The 8 speed gearbox is quick smooth and precise.

No problems whatsoever, only a little annoying squeek behind the lcd in the guage cluster. That will be delt with at the next service.

So far so good. I love it a million time more than my volvo xc70.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtMerchant View Post
Any new feedback? I'm thinking about picking up a 2012 T-Reg TDI
Old 12-06-2012, 09:20 PM   #19
falconati
baller

Oddometer: 655
Test drove one and was impressed. So now the question is...what's your fun Porsche?
Old 12-07-2012, 12:26 AM   #20
Cumminsman76
befuddled

Oddometer: 8,511
So what kind of wheels tires are you running for winter?

Save $5 on Smugmug "1alkVgTNLEuyQ"
Cumminsman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:58 AM   #21
Nophix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Its about time we start seeing some decent TDi cars over here!

Perfect timing, too. I've been looking for a new car to run my 140 mile a day commute, but would like something thats capable in heavy snow. I've heard great things about the Porsche up here.

I, too, was looking at the Touareg.
Nophix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:07 AM   #22
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,388
I read about the diesel Cayenne a couple of weeks ago - nice.

But I want something a bit smaller - I think. I would have liked a diesel AWD Rabbit/Golf (VW makes one, but they don't import it into the USA) with a DSG transmission. Maybe a Tiguan with a diesel.

The BMW X1 can be had with a diesel - in Europe or actually anywhere but the USA.

Mazda makes their CX5 with a new diesel - but not in the USA.

Lets' see - who else makes a small crossover with a diesel but doesn't bring it into the USA? I am probably leaving somebody out.

I make a decent income, but I just bought a house/acreage so I don't have the cash to buy an expensive car and my Bimmer (3 series - paid for) is getting beat up on the road to the new house (it is on a mountain dirt road). Jobs come and go and now I have mortgage with little reserve cash, so I am strongly disinclined to take on car payments to boot.

Looking at one of these tomorrow:

If you are patient you can get them with a 3.2 liter Nissan diesel that produces a whopping 105 HP (if its the turbo - which was only used the last year they made them - 1980 - otherwise it is 80 HP)! Wow! Get out of my way Porsche drivers! Turbo diesel coming through!

Seriously, the average speed on my hour long commute from the mountain into Portland is 30 MPH. Outside of the city it is mostly winding country road where the average speed is about 40 to 50 MPH, inside the city the average speed is much less, even when I get onto the highway (last 5 to 10 miles is highway).

So I don't need a Porsche or BMW or Mercedes or anything like that. Would be nice - I like my Bimmer, but it isn't practical and it doesn't do good in the snow. I have a Dodge 3500 but it has a 12 foot flat bed and weighs almost 4 tons, so it isn't a practical commuter car either (I am converting it to an RV for dirt biking).

So a small Scout with a small diesel will be okay. Probably going to put propane injection on it to get a little more power on the hills. Nice thing is that a decent one can be had for less than $10K and I can work on them myself - no electronic wizardry to have special equipment and training for.

They aren't light (about 4K pounds) but they aren't a full sized truck either.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:20 AM   #23
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,800
a nice mini writeup
013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel: for the Diesel Fans

Porsche's diesel-powered SUV is incredibly tight and well-balanced—and there's no reason to buy one unless you just love diesels, says Dan Neil.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...4.html#slide/1

_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:44 PM   #24
Attico
Wrong way 'round

Oddometer: 1,818
I have 275/45r20 blizzak dmv1 on the factory rims. Summer i run victor equipment zehn. Both have tpms and the car detects and correctly positions the new wheels in about 30 seconds of driving. No reset button or anything. It is quite amazing.

The car is really capable in the snow, but the tires are so wide they can float so if you can get 18" wheels and a narrower tire that would be better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsman76 View Post
So what kind of wheels tires are you running for winter?
Old 02-26-2013, 02:20 AM   #25
Deviant666
Present

Oddometer: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripl Nikl View Post
If the price isn't an issue, the $10K for the Porsche seems well spent, IMHO.
Why's that? The Cayenne and T-reg are essentially the same car, same drivetrain, chassis and for the new diesel, same engine...why spend that extra $10k unless you re badge obsessed...which ofc isn't good or bad just 10k more expensive....
Old 02-26-2013, 06:13 AM   #26
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCGS View Post
I sold 7 of the bikes, meaning I no longer needed the big trailer so I sold it. Doing so meant that I no longer needed the big truck.

How positively un-american of you.

Congrats on the new ride. I bet it's really comfortable, quiet and fun to drive as far as SUVs go.Hope it holds up for you over the long run.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:29 AM   #27
whitham_wannabe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 977
I love the fact that we are starting to get some diesels over here, and I am sure the car is wonderful to own. But I am sorry, and no offense intended to anyone, I simply cannot get over how ugly the Cayenne is. Stylistically, it has absolutely no redeeming features whatsoever, just an amorphous blob on wheels. If VW are to be criticized for applying their 'family face' to the Tourag, at least it is successful. Porsche did the same with the Cayenne and ended up with what appears to be a 911 that ate all the pies.

Travels With Bruce : More Travels With Bruce
whitham_wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:46 PM   #28
falconati
baller

Oddometer: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitham_wannabe View Post
I love the fact that we are starting to get some diesels over here, and I am sure the car is wonderful to own. But I am sorry, and no offense intended to anyone, I simply cannot get over how ugly the Cayenne is. Stylistically, it has absolutely no redeeming features whatsoever, just an amorphous blob on wheels. If VW are to be criticized for applying their 'family face' to the Tourag, at least it is successful. Porsche did the same with the Cayenne and ended up with what appears to be a 911 that ate all the pies.
Cayenne Boo Boo. TLC's next big hit.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: