Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2012, 07:12 PM   #16
Wheat State
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Good on you Raymond! Looking forward to following your journey!
Wheat State is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:05 PM   #17
Eclecticmale OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Arrived at Border

My ride from Victoria, TX to Brownsville, TX was relatively uneventful, but I had great weather, and I took a detour to Corpus Christi, TX. When I headed out for this leg if my trip, I noticed that one of my auxiliary head lamps had lost some of its small nuts. I use some small zip ties for a quick fix, and I made a stop at the Corpus Christi Home Depot. As, I was leaving the Home Depot, I ran into Shadow and Pappy, members of a local motorcycle club (Harley guys). Told them about my trip, we chatted for a while and they gave me directions out of town. They seemed like really great guys. Two hours later made into Brownsville, got my motel room, did laundry, and replace the bolts on my auxiliary light. Did a final overall maintenance on the bike, air, fluids, ect., and called it a night. The plan tomorrow is to hit the border no later than 9:00 AM, then head to Ciudad Victoria, MX.

ROAD DAMAGE – I speak no Spanish, and I will most definitely get in contact with you, when I arrive in Panama.
norcal1 – I don’t recall exactly where I got the world decals, I think I just did a google search. Thanks for the compliment.

Shadow, Pappy, and myself

2009 Triumph Scrambler
2011 SUZUKI DL650 VSTROM
Eclecticmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:53 AM   #18
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,274
Good Luck Raymond....Godspeed....ride safe....ride far! Will be following you...

Cheers...
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:45 PM   #19
Eclecticmale OP
Adventurer

Into Mexico

I crossed the border in Brownsville at 9:30 AM, paid for 180 day visa ($25), temporary vehicle import pass ($400 refunded when I exit Mexico), insurance for 180 days ($100)…hour later I was on the road to Ciudad Victoria. It was about a 250 mile ride, mostly farm land until you reach the mountains. The city is located at the base of a mountain range, and is more modern than I anticipated. Made it into town around 2:00 PM, and started my hotel search, stopped at first hotel and they wanted $85…not in my budget. The expensive hotel recommended another hotel within my budget, clean but no AC for $22…jackpot! Checked in and unloaded the bike, then started a search for food, walked a couple of blocks found a Panda Express with internet access. Only one guy could speak English, his name was Carlos the cook. Carlos and I conversed for about an hour, and he told me his story, he use to live in Durham, NC, until he started to sell crack. He got locked up for 2.5 years, and then he was deported. Carlos is a good guy who made some bad decisions, and now has since changed his ways, he now has a wife and kid and is doing well for himself. I am glad I met Carlos, and learned his story, I wish him well.

Decided to leave Ciudad Victoria the next morning and head to the beaches of Tampico, about a 250 mile ride east, headed toward the gulf coast. It was another great day to ride, but the temperature started to rise, and became uncomfortable every time I had to stop. Arrived around 2:00 PM, and got lost trying to find the beach, I ended up driving around the city for an hour. I stopped in a small shopping, and ran into a teenage girl, who spoke some English, and she and her friends offered to guide me to the beach…that was really nice…I will most definitely pay that forward! I found the beach area and checked into my hotel…I will have more updates on Tampico tomorrow.

My TVIP...I can now legally roam Mexico!

Scenery on way to Ciudad Victoria

Scenery on way to Ciudad Victoria

My $22.00 Hotel

My $22.00 Room

This is the night shift guy at the hotel, who says he will keep an eye on my bike...hilarious!

Kid selling candies in front of the autozone

Me and Carlos

2009 Triumph Scrambler
2011 SUZUKI DL650 VSTROM
Old 09-22-2012, 08:03 PM   #20
Saeed
Life-long learner

Oddometer: 284
Looking forward to your trip reports

2006 Honda CRF 250X " Sold "
2007 Sportster 883 " sold"
2008 yamaha FZ6
Saeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:14 PM   #21
dbmet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
In for this one. Ya stopped in the boring little town of Victoria Tx where I live...
dbmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:49 PM   #22
Eclecticmale OP
Adventurer

Still Ridin’ Tampico, MX to San Luis Potosi, MX

My time in Tampico was rain filled and a little boring. I found a hotel on the beach, which had seen better days. I paid about $55 US, and was ready to leave the next day, but I decided to wait out the rain for another day. The best thing in Tampico was a beach restaurant departed after the rain subsided, and headed to San Luis Potosi, Mexico. It was a all day ride, it took me about 9 hours, which included all my stops to take pictures. I also had my first Mexican Army, and Mexican Federal Police encounters, because later I was told I was “traveling through the heart” of the drug traffic area. The ride was full of twist and turns through the Sierra Madres Mountains, with elevation that reached over 8,000 feet. I kept thinking the whole time, “Badges, we don’t need no stinking badges”! It was fun, but I lost track of time, and I was trying to beat the nigh fall and the rain. (I did manage to get some photos.)

I finally arrived in San Luis Potosi around 7:00PM, and tried to find a quick hotel, I like a fool stopped at the Courtyard by Marriot…it cost $150 US per night…no way. The front desk recommended a newly built hotel called the Ibis, which was right down the street. Checked in for $40 US, and think I may stay awhile. I got up this morning in San Luis to sort out some banking issues, and to find an unlocked pay as you go cell phone. My debit card had been giving me an error when I tried withdraw funds (did not understand why I could not withdraw 5000 pesos). Stopped at a Mexican bank to see if they were the problem, but come to find out, it was my US bank’s issue. I placed a call to my bank and they raised my daily withdraw limit…problem sorted. I am still trying to get that unlocked cell phone, I was told I can get one downtown. (headed that way tomorrow) In speaking with the hotel staff, there may be a bull fight soon…I would love to see that event! Right now I am just in the hotel lobby relaxing, and will start my search for dinner.

Sierra Madres

Swanky hotel room

2009 Triumph Scrambler
2011 SUZUKI DL650 VSTROM
Old 09-26-2012, 12:38 PM   #23
Eclecticmale OP
Adventurer

Downtown San Luis Potosi, Mexico

Got up early and headed to downtown San Luis Potosi, it was about a 15 minute ride from my hotel. I walked around and took photos to give everyone an idea of what downtown was all about. I hope these photos convey that message. A funny thing happened as I was walking toward my bike to leave downtown, there were 2 guys washing the motorcycle. I assume this is there hustle, and they do it every day. They did a great job to hand wash the bike, and 30 pesos ($2.25 US) later, I was on my way back to the hotel. Now I am off to do laundry, so that I may head out tomorrow to Santiago de Querétaro, about a 3 hour ride south. It should be an easy ride tomorrow.

2009 Triumph Scrambler
2011 SUZUKI DL650 VSTROM
Old 09-26-2012, 12:56 PM   #24
bigcappa
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Fantastic RR so far Raymond! Really enjoyed your downtown pictures. I am at the crossroads of a decision that you just made, younger but recently divorced as well and trying to decide what I'm going to do with my new life. Good luck on the rest of your trip.
bigcappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:24 PM   #25
Bigolechalupa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149

Hi Raymond...good stuff, I'm definitely in. :)
Bigolechalupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:03 PM   #26
It'sNotTheBike
Banned

Oddometer: 704
The smile on your face in post #19 says it all !

Though divorce is pretty high on the scale of ultimate life traumas, life
does go on, and you are doing the right thing by moving on. It takes courage to do what
you have done, make no mistake, and you will find yourself in a better life very soon,
I am certain of that.

The most important thing to remember is that we only get one life and time is the most
valuable thing we all have.

Safe travels to you, and be careful, because a smile like you have means
women are going to want you to stay with them. But the journey you are taking is more
important than women, and the right woman will wait for you to finish your journey.

By the way, you have considerable talent with the camera. Nice photos !

It'sNotTheBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:05 PM   #27
murdock84
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 538
Nice ride report. I'll keep checking back. Nice pictures as well.
murdock84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:50 PM   #28
jimbowie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Good for you Raymond and good for us, too. Loving the report and will be watching all the way along your journey. Ride safe and have fun. Fantastic pictures so far. Can't wait to see all the sites through the lens of your camera.

Just remember, a government big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take away all you have. Davy Crockett
jimbowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:24 AM   #29
atravlr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Good Job! I think a lot of us are envious of you at this time. Good eye on the camera as well. Stay safe!
atravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:21 AM   #30
Twistn'roads
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Safe travels Raymond! I think I'll follow along........

~TR~
Twistn'roads is offline   Reply With Quote