User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 10:07 PM   #61
Eclecticmale OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Final thoughts – Mexico

I entered Mexico with an open mind, and knowing very little Spanish. I was truly amazed with the awesome beauty, and kind nature of the Mexican people. The people of Mexico have their own rich history and diverse culture, which is very intoxicating. Mexico exceeded my expectations with the kindness and giving nature of its people. Every time I need assistance there was always someone there to help, I will never forget Mexico. Mexico is very similar the US in many ways, they are also caught up in consumerism. They love Levis, Coca Cola, and going out to dinner with their families. As far as being a black man in Mexico, I got a lot of looks from people ages 8 to 80. It was like I was from Mars, nothing offensive, but just more curiosity. I was probably the first black man they have ever seen in real life. I kind of enjoyed being the odd man, but I would always look them in the eye and say hola and smile…that would really catch them off guard. My motto was to kill them with kindness…and it worked every time. I truly recommend Mexico for everyone, it is a great country.

2009 Triumph Scrambler
2011 SUZUKI DL650 VSTROM
Eclecticmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:07 PM   #62
Lambo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 607
Great Ride

Thanks for bringing us along, really enjoying the report and photos. BTW, good job of packing the bike, nice and tidy

[/QUOTE]

Support Mental Health or I'll Kill you.

Ironically, Chuck Norris’ hidden talent is invisibility.
Lambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:50 PM   #63
Eclecticmale OP
Adventurer

Nowhere, Guatemala to Antigua, Guatemala

Headed out early from my $8 US hotel on 6OCT12, and had great ride through the mountains. I could not have asked for a more perfect day to ride, blue sunny skies, cool temperature, and those crazy Guatemalan buses. Those bus drivers have to be the craziest drivers in the world. They were passing me every chance they got, and I truly believe they were trying to race me. I followed the signs to Antigua, and finally arrived at 11: 00 AM. I rode around and found a smoothie shop, while at the shop I ran into an American restaurant/art gallery owner named Alexander Ferrar. Alexander’s restaurant/art gallery is called Sobremesa (which is great). He and I quickly began discussing the city, and became good friends. Alexander also helped me find a great hotel (Hotel Volcanos) in the central part of the city that offered a decent price of $40 US. Antigua is a colonial city very similar to San Cristabol, Mexico. I liked this city so much, I decided to stay until 13OCT12 to take a week long Spanish class. I am in class Monday – Friday from 8AM to 12PM, and I feel it will very beneficial for the remainder of my journey. After class, I usually walk the city and take pictures. Antigua is a tourist town, full of Americans who seem afraid to say hello to me…go figure! Right now, 10OCT12 it is 8:30 PM, and I am in the Rainbow Café eating soup, and enjoying a live local band. My plan on Saturday is to ride across the border to El Salvador.

Alexander owner of Sobremsa

Alexanders restaurant/art gallery

Alexanders restaurant/art gallery

2009 Triumph Scrambler
2011 SUZUKI DL650 VSTROM
Old 10-10-2012, 09:38 PM   #64
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,648
Holy Cow.

Your images are exceptional! Way to use a broad variety of light conditions, the whole ride is art.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:50 PM   #65
RecycledRS
Along for the ride

Oddometer: 1,039
Man, you can take a pic!
Old 10-14-2012, 03:01 PM   #66
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 4,652
It is the people's response to you that is touching in the pictures you take of them Raymond. In a word... palpable.

Thanks for taking us along.

John
OldPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:03 PM   #67
Eclecticmale OP
Adventurer

Extra day in Antigua, Guatemala

Antigua is such a great place to be, I actually did not want to leave. I had become like a local celebrity (being the only black guy in town), almost every shop owner knew who I was. I had a great time, and took photos of my last day and night there.

2009 Triumph Scrambler
2011 SUZUKI DL650 VSTROM
Old 10-14-2012, 07:31 PM   #68
Eclecticmale OP
Adventurer

Antigua, Guatemala to La Libertad, El Salvador

Loaded up the bike this morning 14OCT2012, and headed out of Antigua to La Libertad, El Salvador. I got an early start at 9:00 AM, traveling toward the Guatemalan coast, which meant I got to the border at 12 Noon. I ran into the helper named George, he seemed like a good guy, and we agreed on a $10 US fee for his services. The border was not as smooth as previous border, but it was not that bad. Two hours later, I was on my way into El Salvador. The ride was great, it was sunny and no traffic whatsoever. I stopped a seaside restaurant to grab a bite, which was about 20 miles outside of La Libertad. It had a great view of the ocean, and the grilled shrimp was not that bad either. I made it into La Libertad, and checked into the Hotel Pacific Sunrise, which charged $50 US per night. I decided to stay two nights…it’s the beach! I managed to take some pictures while the sun was setting. I plan to look for an unlocked cell phone in the morning…my cell has stopped working.

My seaside lunch view

My seaside lunch view

2009 Triumph Scrambler
2011 SUZUKI DL650 VSTROM
Old 10-15-2012, 08:15 AM   #69
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,527
I think this is the first ride report $50 rooms, lets see some of these high priced digs, you can do a lot better on room prices and remember in Latin America you can negotiate prices. Keep up the great images.
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:11 PM   #70
Eclecticmale OP
Adventurer

La Libertad, El Salvador to Granada, Nicaragua

I got an 8:00 AM start leaving La Libertad and decided to cross through both Honduros borders in the same day. I arrived at the El Salvador and Honduras border at 12:00 PM, and ran into the usual two helpers that try to rip every motorcycle traveler off. I discussed with them a price of $10 US for their services. I also stated that I knew them from the internet, knew the true cost to cross the border, and that they had a bad reputation via the internet. Their tone change quickly, and I had no further trouble out of them for the border crossing. While at the border, Honduras did not look like a very safe place. My gut was telling me to not stop/sleep in this country. Trash was everywhere, and the roads were full of potholes, so I decided to press on to the Nicaraguan border before the sunset. I made through the Nicaraguan border, and stayed in the border town of Somotillo for the night. Stayed at an $8 US hotel, and it served its purpose, but sleep did not come easy. I got another 8:00 AM start, and made my way toward Granada through Managua. I arrived in Managua at noon, and had to ask directions to Granada, which everyone I asked was very helpful. By 1:30 PM, I arrived in Granada and ten minutes later it started to pour down with sheets of rain. I took refuge at an ice cream shop, and waited for the rain to stop. Managed to find a hotel…$20 US, I will stay for two nights, it is OK and I have no complaints. Granada looks to be a laid back city, and everyone seems to be very nice. My plan is to cross into Costa Rica once I leave Granada.

My $8 dollar room

2009 Triumph Scrambler
2011 SUZUKI DL650 VSTROM
Old 10-21-2012, 10:59 AM   #71
ROAD DAMAGE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 958
Donde?

Hey Raymond,

Where the heck are you?

What the heck are you doing?

How's the "throttle therapy" going?

Hope all is well and that your travels are still going great!

Rob
Old 10-21-2012, 12:01 PM   #72
Nookie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Wow Ray! everyone has said it and I will again. The images you're capturing really are telling the a story. Photos you'll enjoy for a life time. Good luck on the rest of your journey Brother.
Nookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:28 PM   #73
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,407
Great RR so far. Subscribed. Safe travels.

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:54 PM   #74
sk8rdi16
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
I love Antigua AND Granada! Both very enchanting cities!

Have fun, great RR!
Old 10-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #75
Vamartha
Lost in ADVRider

Oddometer: 277
Amazing pictures!

Thanks for sharing with us!