User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2012, 10:52 AM   #1
Starbuck21 OP
Manly scooterist!

Oddometer: 150
Wickenburg, AZ to Sequoia and Yosemite!

On Friday August 31st I left Wickenburg and headed to Yucaipa to my son's house!

All loaded up and ready to go! Next stop was the General Patton Memorial Museum in Chiriaco Summit, CA.

Headed on down the road and stopped at Cabazon, CA to see the dinosaurs!!

Got to Yucaipa just after noon (I left at 6 am) before the terrible heat hit!

The end of the first day; 272 miles!
1974 CT90

Starbuck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:01 AM   #2
Starbuck21 OP
Manly scooterist!

Day 2

My son has a KLR and a couple of friends showed up to ride, one on a KLR also and the other has a Yamaha V-Star. We headed up the mountains for the day (much cooler than the desert)!

Me and my Wing!

Can't believe the others actually let me and my "scooter" be seen with them!!!

The above is at the Big Bear Brewing Company... Well we had to have lunch didn't we?

Here is my Wing with my son's 2012 KLR; we are stopped to check out some of the sites.

Water up near Big Bear; sure a welcome relief after the desert heat!!!

The KLR's split off here and did some trails and my friend Bob (V-Star) and I took a different route back down the mountain!

We decided to stop at Chaparral Motorsports in San Bernardino, CA and see what machines were available After seeing the prices we left and returned to my son's place in Yucaipa!!! Total mileage for the day was appx. 116.
1974 CT90

Starbuck21 screwed with this post 02-12-2014 at 06:24 PM
Old 09-08-2012, 11:26 AM   #3
Starbuck21 OP
Manly scooterist!

Day 3 Solo

On day three I was on my own; the others had to be back at work on Tuesday so I parted company and headed north to Sequoia National Monument. I left at 5:30 am as it was much cooler then . The Wing was running strong!

The above was taken on SR 58 nearing Bakersfield! My destination hotel was in Porterville, CA.

Almost to Porterville! Note the park on the sign refers to Sequoia National Park NOT Sequoia National Monument. They are two separate parks!

Stopped for a little fuel!!! LOL

Because of leaving so early I got into Porterville too early to check into my hotel so decided to head to the National Monument!

And away we go!

A beautiful rock formation and stream!

Here is the trail to see the giants...Sequoias (redwoods) not real giants!

Pretty impressive tree and as you can see it has had a bout with fire. In fact the Sequoias count on fire to reproduce! Fire thins out the smaller trees and prepares the soil for proper germination. Who knew?

Can you believe I found something that made ME look small??? LOL

After this it was getting hot so I headed back to Porterville for the night. 325 miles on the Wing today but worst of all 11 hours in the saddle. The park roads are very winding and slow! My posterior was ready to dismount!!!

1974 CT90

Starbuck21 screwed with this post 09-11-2014 at 06:37 PM
Old 09-08-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
Starbuck21 OP
Manly scooterist!

Day 4 Sequoia National Park

I left Porterville and drove approximately 50 miles to South entrance to Sequoia National Park.

I had to share the above. It is a fruit stand some 25 miles from the Park. It was closed but fruit and nuts were on the counters with a note that said take what you want and put money in slot for payment! In California? My faith is restored!!!

The entrance to the Park! Yo Adrian, I did it!!!

Neat visitors center and museum!

This is the Sentinel Tree at the visitors center! WOW!

I returned to my Wing to find a KTM parked next to me!

Pathway to the Sherman Tree. This is the largest tree by volume in the world. Not the tallest but by tree volume.

Here I am next to the General Sherman Tree! A bit of a strenuous hike back to the parking lot for this old guy! NOTE most of the giant redwoods occur at 7000 feet or higher!

Sequoia and Kings Canyon NP run together; during the summer you can pass from one to the other! And I did!

This is cool; read this picture and check out the next one it is the actual stump!

This was a long day as once I had seen most of what I wanted in Sequoia and Kings Canyon, I had to drive to Oakhurst, CA to my hotel for the night. This was so I could hit Yosemite the following day! 189 miles ridden this day.
1974 CT90

Starbuck21 screwed with this post 05-29-2014 at 05:06 AM
Old 09-08-2012, 11:58 AM   #5
mefadv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 760
Nice Post.... Looks like ya had a good time. Did you do some camping along the way?
I'll catch ya at the DCWM sometime for a chat.
mefadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:15 PM   #6
Starbuck21 OP
Manly scooterist!

Day 5 Yosemite

AT Oakhurst I was only about 15 miles south of Yosemite; nice actually! Of the three parks, Yosemite would for sure be my favorite! Point of information, Yosemite was the 2nd National Park established! Yellowstone of course was the first!

Here I am at the gateway to Yosemite!

Mariposa Groves a must-see for Sequoia fans!

My Wing resting near the Groves!

Bridalveil Falls was very impressive even though the water volume was down some due to the late summer season.

The bikes were out in force!!!

The world famous El Capitan! Even more inspiring in person; contrast the vehicles with the size of it! Incredible!

Yosemite visitor center and shopping area. Shops, museum and even a post office!

All true bikers MUST admire this; a 1912 Indian V-twin with 7.5 horsepower! Read the info on next picture:

This is my favorite picture of the trip. Tenaya Lake sits 8150 feet above sea level and is very beautiful. It is on the east end of the park and inaccessible during winter. The lake was formed by glacier activity eons ago.

Another beautiful site is Lambert Dome!

Shortly after this I left Yosemite and intersected with Hwy 395 and headed south; beginning my journey home!
1974 CT90

Starbuck21 screwed with this post 09-08-2012 at 06:47 PM
Old 09-08-2012, 12:33 PM   #7
Starbuck21 OP
Manly scooterist!

Day 6 and 7 heaing home!

After leaving Yosemite I headed south on Hwy 395. Missed the only gas station as they wanted $4.939/ gallon for regular. I had to make Bishop or walk... Fortunately I made it and the gas was only(?) $3.959/ gallon.

You can see how much fuel the gauge said I had left... (not much) Most Wing riders will know that 212.3 miles on a tank can be pushing it... The good thing is I was getting superb mileage on the whole trip and this tank brought 58.2 miles per gallon so I wasn't in any real danger of running out with the 4.2 gallon tank. A little nerve wracking though.

I spent the night here in Independence, CA. This is a great family-run motel! Price is good and they serve a FULL breakfast too!

Another view of the cabin I stayed in.

There was a small park next door to the motel so checked it out! Felt good to WALK over there :-) Total for the day was 248 miles.

The next day I just rode long and hard for 350 miles and stopped for the night in Laughlin Nevada. A little gambling, a little beer and a little rest and wow felt great:

The following morning I got up early and bombed home; only 166 miles so was a walk in the park!

Overall the trip was fantastic; the Silverwing performed superbly from 20-80 MPH and everywhere in between. The total trip mileage was 1682 and overall fuel economy was nearly 56 MPG. Lowest tank was 46.9 and highest was 58.2 but has several tanks over 57 MPG!!!

Did my butt hurt? YES, the 11 hour day in the saddle made me sore so each day after that I got sore after 100 miles or so. If I had it to do over I would avoid that long a stretch in the saddle. The seat is not uncomfortable especially with the buttrest-backrest conversion it has. Just flat too many hours in one position haunted me!

1682 miles, three states and most of it solo? Not bad for an old fat guy! Hope you enjoyed this report, perhaps I can do a better job with more practice!!!

Cao!
1974 CT90

Starbuck21 screwed with this post 05-29-2014 at 05:09 AM
Old 09-08-2012, 12:34 PM   #8
Bearcat
burg1

Oddometer: 105
Good to see another RR on a Maxi Scooter. Good report, great pictures.
Bearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:08 PM   #9
Starbuck21 OP
Manly scooterist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefyj View Post
Nice Post.... Looks like ya had a good time. Did you do some camping along the way?
I'll catch ya at the DCWM sometime for a chat.
No I was traveling light so stayed in inexpensive (relatively) motels.
1974 CT90

Old 09-09-2012, 10:15 PM   #10
DurtKlod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,319
Cool stuff. Some day I've got to get my boys over that way to see them giant trees. Impressive.