Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2012, 12:42 PM   #1
acesandeights OP
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,448
Garmin 62

I thought this was discontinued....now it's reintroduced. Good one?

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:18 PM   #2
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
I thought this was discontinued....now it's reintroduced. Good one?
60 was discontinued replaced by 62 but 62 does not have 12 V power input however 78 does.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:49 AM   #3
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,459
Thumb Good To Know about 12v power!

That is more important to me than I thought it would be. Looking at alternative companies, I bought a PN-60 as a 'possible' replacement for my 60CSx. At the time (a month or so ago) the website showed a 'power kit' as being available but it isn't. It has been sitting on a shelf for a couple of weeks now because I either need to install new batteries each day or chance that they will last another day. A much bigger factor, that I didn't think about was that without a 'fixed' power supply you don't have illumination. Well you can set the timer to not turn off - I just haven't taken the time to see how long a set of batteries lasts that way.

Does the 78 use the good old round, 4 pin power cord that I have already hardwired to 4 bikes and 2 boats?

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:59 AM   #4
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Escape View Post
That is more important to me than I thought it would be. Looking at alternative companies, I bought a PN-60 as a 'possible' replacement for my 60CSx. At the time (a month or so ago) the website showed a 'power kit' as being available but it isn't. It has been sitting on a shelf for a couple of weeks now because I either need to install new batteries each day or chance that they will last another day. A much bigger factor, that I didn't think about was that without a 'fixed' power supply you don't have illumination. Well you can set the timer to not turn off - I just haven't taken the time to see how long a set of batteries lasts that way.

Does the 78 use the good old round, 4 pin power cord that I have already hardwired to 4 bikes and 2 boats?

Bruce
Bruce,

You may be able to run the PN60 the following way: use the enclosed USB cord with a standard 12 volt "cigarette plug" to USB adapter. I ran my PN20 this way all the time without problems. I had some issues on a long trip in July with the same set-up on my PN40, however. I think that the cable might have gotten messed up because it was a very dusty ride, followed by some drenching rains.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:50 PM   #5
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Escape View Post
Does the 78 use the good old round, 4 pin power cord that I have already hardwired to 4 bikes and 2 boats? Bruce
Yes
Old 09-09-2012, 05:06 PM   #6
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
Bruce,

You may be able to run the PN60 the following way: use the enclosed USB cord with a standard 12 volt "cigarette plug" to USB adapter. I ran my PN20 this way all the time without problems. I had some issues on a long trip in July with the same set-up on my PN40, however. I think that the cable might have gotten messed up because it was a very dusty ride, followed by some drenching rains.
Thanks
Since only the boats and Mv7 are wired for 'cigarette lighter' plugs, I will probably relegate the PN-60 to their use. I was really hoping that the DeLorme would simplify my life insofar as transfering tracks to DeLorme software but it isn't that much easier because of having to save the track before it can be transferred (probably in time I will learn to actually do that rather than go through 'sync' only to find I didn't transfer anything). I specifically did not buy one of the early PN's after seeing how they handled auxilliary power, pluging a cord into an adaptor isn't lots better to my way of thinking. I am looking forward to downloading some aerials and watching the track as it crosses them, just haven't gotten to it.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Old 09-09-2012, 10:07 PM   #7
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Hmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
Yes

Thanks

I guess that I will have to look more seriously at a 78.

Bruce