User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2012, 01:40 PM   #1
Reprobate OP
Sarcasm Loading....

Oddometer: 6,295
Added a Vespa PX200E to my stable...

So now we have four motorcycles: Maaike's 650 V-strom, my R1100GS, our Moto Guzzi Mille GT with EZS sidecar, and a 1996 Vespa PX200E.

I fitted the Vespa with a universal child seat that supports my [almost] six year old son, so he can ride with me through the dense city traffic in Amsterdam. My daughter, now almost two, is in love with the Vespa. When I picked her up from daycare on my bicycle the day after I bought the Vespa, she ran outside and stopped at the sight of my bicycle, turned around and said, "Why not motorcycle?" Too bad they don't have motorcycle helmets in her size yet, she would love to ride with me. My son thinks it's a blast riding pillion on the Vespa, he was especially pleased when I passed a motorcycle - the Vespa is a nimble machine compared to a Kawasaki ZX10.

I used to ride Vespas all the time, until I had an accident with my P200E, totalling the Vespa and hospitalizing myself in the process. After that, I was turned off scooters and only rode my motorcycles, but transporting children on the GS is much more hazardous than on a large moped like the PX200E.
I write the Amsterdam Assassin Series (suspense fiction), if you want to know more or support me by buying my work, please check out my website Tao of Violence and blog Amsterdam Assassin Series for news and links to the ebooks.
Reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:58 AM   #2
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 969
Wow, for a moment I was thinking it was one of the watercooled Vespas!

Is it true that they are kinda hard to ride? I guess it must take time to get used to the shifter on the left grip.

How is performance on those 2 strokes?

I'd love adding a Vespa to the stable, a 200 or the new GT300. I kinda hate how every other scooter over 150cc is maxi sized, the GT300 seems to be the smallest of them. And the quality... No doubt they are better built than regular Japanese scooters, but I can't wrap my head aroudn the idea of paying $5000 USD for a LX150... It's just a 150cc scooter.
Süsser Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:35 PM   #3
351 power
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
was just in amsterdam. loved the scooter/bike aspect of the city traffic. would sure clear up alot of north american roads to have more scooters
Old 08-08-2012, 03:31 PM   #4
Reprobate OP
Sarcasm Loading....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Süsser Tod View Post
Wow, for a moment I was thinking it was one of the watercooled Vespas!
No, the PX series is the last of the old Vespas. Two stroke engine, no plastic [except for the nose].

Quote:
Is it true that they are kinda hard to ride?
Depends on how easily you adjust: the engine hangs on the right side and is counterweighted by the spare tyre on the left side, but the scooter still tends to list slightly to the right. All the weight is in the rear, and you have no frame/tank between your legs, so it steers weird, and the brakes are drum brakes, with the rear foot brake providing most of the braking power and the front brake tending to lock up quite quickly. The small wheels make contact with the road surface less assured than with a motorcycle. There is a front carrier available and it's a good idea to strap the heavy luggage to the front, not the already overburdened rear.

Quote:
I guess it must take time to get used to the shifter on the left grip.
I adjust very easily between motorcycles, plus I rode Vespas before I got a motorcycle license, so I was actually used to the grip shifter before I got used to the foot shifter. I need to adjust constantly - I have a GS that rides like a GS [telelever, so no diving under braking], my wife's V-strom dives when I brake, the Guzzi sidecar goes right under acceleration, goes left when decelerating, brakes with the foot brake [rear, sidecar wheel and one front disc] the hand brake only brakes one front disc. And the Vespa shifts by hand and is basically an overpowered moped.

Quote:
How is performance on those 2 strokes?
Compared to a modern Vespa? Shitty. It doesn't accelerate as fast as most cars, the drum brakes require advanced anticipation and the front tends to lock up, it lists to the right, and you have to fill up with 2stroke oil every other 6 liter petrol fill-up. The emission is downright environmentally unfriendly.

However, you don't buy a P/PX for the performance, but the feeling of riding a real scooter, with a spare wheel and an engine that won't quit on you. Ever. Emotion on wheels.

Quote:
No doubt they are better built than regular Japanese scooters, but I can't wrap my head aroudn the idea of paying $5000 USD for a LX150... It's just a 150cc scooter.
The LX150 is fast [for a scooter] and nimble [it basically has the same frame as the 50cc moped], so it's a quick and easy ride for inner city traffic. It might even do well on the highway, as long as you don't need to accelerate out of a sticky situation.
I write the Amsterdam Assassin Series (suspense fiction), if you want to know more or support me by buying my work, please check out my website Tao of Violence and blog Amsterdam Assassin Series for news and links to the ebooks.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:33 PM   #5
Reprobate OP
Sarcasm Loading....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351 power View Post
was just in amsterdam. loved the scooter/bike aspect of the city traffic. would sure clear up alot of north american roads to have more scooters
Should've looked me up, dude.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:20 PM   #6
Dabears
--------------------

Oddometer: 549
PX is a nice scooter- congrats! Like my p200e, only much newer with real brakes and electric start! They are a lot of fun, but with limited storage they are not as practical as the newer scooters with storage under the seat. I doubt I'll ever sell mine.
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:01 PM   #7
kittty
ScooterGirl

Oddometer: 54
Jealous, later PXs are hard to find here, and forget about a 200. My Stella is essentially the same thing, and while there's a bit of a curve to it and some tricks that help, after about 100 miles of riding I was golden. Coming from having never been on anything with two wheels (besides a bicycle) before in my life. So I have nothing to compare it to, but while a bit intimidating it was overall pretty easy to get the hang of it.

It's also insanely fun
Old 08-12-2012, 04:19 AM   #8
Laromonster
Vesperado !

Oddometer: 1,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reprobate View Post
No, the PX series is the last of the old Vespas. Two stroke engine, no plastic [except for the nose].

Depends on how easily you adjust: the engine hangs on the right side and is counterweighted by the spare tyre on the left side, but the scooter still tends to list slightly to the right. All the weight is in the rear, and you have no frame/tank between your legs, so it steers weird, and the brakes are drum brakes, with the rear foot brake providing most of the braking power and the front brake tending to lock up quite quickly. The small wheels make contact with the road surface less assured than with a motorcycle. There is a front carrier available and it's a good idea to strap the heavy luggage to the front, not the already overburdened rear.

I adjust very easily between motorcycles, plus I rode Vespas before I got a motorcycle license, so I was actually used to the grip shifter before I got used to the foot shifter. I need to adjust constantly - I have a GS that rides like a GS [telelever, so no diving under braking], my wife's V-strom dives when I brake, the Guzzi sidecar goes right under acceleration, goes left when decelerating, brakes with the foot brake [rear, sidecar wheel and one front disc] the hand brake only brakes one front disc. And the Vespa shifts by hand and is basically an overpowered moped.

Compared to a modern Vespa? Shitty. It doesn't accelerate as fast as most cars, the drum brakes require advanced anticipation and the front tends to lock up, it lists to the right, and you have to fill up with 2stroke oil every other 6 liter petrol fill-up. The emission is downright environmentally unfriendly.

However, you don't buy a P/PX for the performance, but the feeling of riding a real scooter, with a spare wheel and an engine that won't quit on you. Ever. Emotion on wheels.

The LX150 is fast [for a scooter] and nimble [it basically has the same frame as the 50cc moped], so it's a quick and easy ride for inner city traffic. It might even do well on the highway, as long as you don't need to accelerate out of a sticky situation.
Wut ?
The oil tank holds more than one liter of oil, it usually lasts several months or ten or more fuel fill ups for me.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #9
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer

Reprobate, how does the LML 2 stroke PX150/Stella compares to the real deal?

I'm actually considering an LML "Star 150", which from what I can gather, is the same as the Stella 150, a clone of a PX150.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:58 PM   #10
Reprobate OP
Sarcasm Loading....

AFAIK, the Vespa clones [Stella, LML, Bajaj, etcetera] are similar in comparison to a Ural or Dnjepr to a BMW. They are not really clones, just copies. Visually striking, sometimes, but the bodywork and quality of the parts is often not equal to the original parts and bodywork. Of course, the prices are often lower and superficially they're indistinguishable from the originals. But a secondhand Vespa is preferable over a new Stella/Bajaj/LM, just like a secondhand R80RT with sidecar is preferable over a new Ural sidecar rig.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:34 PM   #11
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer

Well, I'm not getting a real Vespa PX anytime soon, very few were imported to Mexico and good ones sell for more than brand new LX150 scooters.

For me a Stella/Star would be nothing more than a toy, so I don't care if it is not as durable as a real Vespa. I just want the experience of riding a post-war Italian scooter on Sundays.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:54 PM   #12
Dabears
--------------------

Oddometer: 549
Quote:
Well, I'm not getting a real Vespa PX anytime soon, very few were imported to Mexico and good ones sell for more than brand new LX150 scooters.

For me a Stella/Star would be nothing more than a toy, so I don't care if it is not as durable as a real Vespa. I just want the experience of riding a post-war Italian scooter on Sundays.
Stellas seem to do ok, provided you address the lean running factory carb settings (i assume you are speaking about the Stella 2t, not the 4t model). The issue may not exist for scooters exported to Mexico; it may be a US only emissions deal...

Keep in mind they are made in India. I have bought Indian Vespa labelled parts and they have been low quality. Set your expectations accordingly.

On a positive note, remember whole families in India use LMLs as their family vehicle, although most are moving up to small displacement motorcycles (at least from my last trip to New Delhi).
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:34 PM   #13
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
Stellas seem to do ok, provided you address the lean running factory carb settings (i assume you are speaking about the Stella 2t, not the 4t model). The issue may not exist for scooters exported to Mexico; it may be a US only emissions deal...

Keep in mind they are made in India. I have bought Indian Vespa labelled parts and they have been low quality. Set your expectations accordingly.

On a positive note, remember whole families in India use LMLs as their family vehicle, although most are moving up to small displacement motorcycles (at least from my last trip to New Delhi).
Nothing runs lean in Mexico city, 7200 feet over the sea level. About the quality... It's a design from the 70s, manufactured in India, I won't bother asking "what can go wrong?", that's why I asked "what they got right" instead
Old 08-14-2012, 04:04 PM   #14
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reprobate View Post
So now we have four motorcycles: Maaike's 650 V-strom, my R1100GS, our Moto Guzzi Mille GT with EZS sidecar, and a 1996 Vespa PX200E.
How about some pics of this stable?

Sounds like a nice collection and the Internet is much more enjoyable with pictures.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:05 PM   #15
kittty
ScooterGirl

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Reprobate, how does the LML 2 stroke PX150/Stella compares to the real deal?

I'm actually considering an LML "Star 150", which from what I can gather, is the same as the Stella 150, a clone of a PX150.
LML produced the old P series under license of Piaggio. With a few small upgrades, you're essentially buying a brand new 30 year old Vespa.