ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Asia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-31-2014, 11:26 PM   #1
AdamCohn OP
n00b
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Seattle, WA, USA
Oddometer: 4
Talking Motorcycle-friendly ferries in Philippines?

I've got a flight booked to Manila and a Honda reserved in the city. My plan is to ride southeast on Luzan, cross to Samar, and ferry back from Samar to Manila or someplace on Luzan. In short, I'd like to keep riding clockwise for the ~2 weeks I have, ideally without having to retrace my tracks to get back and return the bike.
Does anyone know of ferries/ferry companies which will also carry my motorcycle between these places?
Thanks!
AdamCohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:24 AM   #2
250txc
250TXC
 
250txc's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Cebu Philippines
Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamCohn View Post
I've got a flight booked to Manila and a Honda reserved in the city. My plan is to ride southeast on Luzan, cross to Samar, and ferry back from Samar to Manila or someplace on Luzan. In short, I'd like to keep riding clockwise for the ~2 weeks I have, ideally without having to retrace my tracks to get back and return the bike.
Does anyone know of ferries/ferry companies which will also carry my motorcycle between these places?
Thanks!
I've been all over the Philippines, but the least in your area ... I'm more in the southern islands such as Leyte, Cebu (I live here), Negros, Masbate, Pinay ...

Each of these places have both commercial and passenger RoRo boats ... Many hard to know about and find unless the locals help ...

Since Leyte is only a single bridge crossing from Samar, AND Cebu is only a single RoRo ride away from Leyte, Cebu City is right down the road one on Cebu and has a Super Ferry that goes to Manila for the bike. You can then catch a flight back to Manila for ~$50. Maybe too much scope creep?

The port in Manila is on Roxas BLVD, right down from the US embassy, the Mall of Asia, and the airport is only a few miles away. This is the Ermita area of Manila. Plenty of action in Ermita and places to stay.

Leaving Manila on MacAuthor Hiway is gonna be fullx2 of traffic ... And its about the only way south out of there :(

Good luck on your riding here... I'm sure you'll have a good time here ... If you do make it to Cebu, let me know and we can have a drink or maybe go for a ride in the mountains ... That's where the real Philippines is at :)

EDIT: That one jump from Luzon to Samar island is a no brainer ... Not sure of the port name there but everyone along the way can help ...

The hard to find ports are not included jumping to the Samar Island .. Jumping from Leyte to Cebu is easy enough also and I can provide you with some port names if you decide to go that way ... The only issue here is the boat leaves late in the day but you will make it to Cebu a few hrs before dark ..

There are both commercial and passenger type ferries all over these islands .. Some hard to find, some not so hard ... Let me know if you need help navigating the Cebu island and its neighbors ...
__________________
See the providence of Cebu in the Philippines by Motorcycle
Motorcycles and tours available daily
Contact TXCRLB@gmail.com for details

250txc screwed with this post 04-01-2014 at 06:31 AM
250txc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:23 AM   #3
hondav2
Kiwi Fukengruver
 
hondav2's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: New Zealand , Fiordland
Oddometer: 1,349
Wicked

2 weeks is not a long time and to cover 200km in 1 day in the Phills is not far but it is far. At the bottom of Luzon the ferrys go from Matnog to Allen on Samar . They run all day and several companies . You could then ride down to Hilongas Leyte where there is 2 X Roros a day ( Robel Shipping ) to Cebu then ferry back to Manila . You would want to have booking on ferry to Manila so you dont miss flight home . I dont know if ferry to Manila takes bikes but the others do no problem. The one thing that concerns me is that you will be running mostly on main roads and miss the real Philippines in the country. I would like to suggest maybe a coastal ride around northern Luzon might be easier with the limited amount of time you have. Another good source of info is Lonely Planet Thorn Tree Forum . I get a lot of info off there .
__________________
North American Ride Sponsers
www.alaskaleather.com
Big Johnson Motors Tok Alaska
Abbey Autos Wasilla Alaska
Photos www.toddy.smugmug.com
Starting smugmug gallery use this for discount yPcvMhjigUORk
2001 DR650 110,000 km
2003 Heritage Classic
2004 CBR1000RR
2007 KTM950R Super Enduro
2007 1200GS
2008 Hypermotard S
hondav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:09 PM   #4
YnotJP?
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Philippines and Seattle
Oddometer: 2,027
Adam, Maybe you would be better to stay on Luzon and go North out of Manila for a 2 week stay. There are some very good places to see on Luzon.

If you look at some of Herc's rides on this site you will get an idea.

Regardless of what you do, enjoy your trip. Remember if all goes as planned, it is not really an adventure.
YnotJP? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:41 AM   #5
250txc
250TXC
 
250txc's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Cebu Philippines
Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondav2 View Post
2 weeks is not a long time and to cover 200km in 1 day in the Phills is not far but it is far. At the bottom of Luzon the ferrys go from Matnog to Allen on Samar . They run all day and several companies . You could then ride down to Hilongas Leyte where there is 2 X Roros a day ( Robel Shipping ) to Cebu then ferry back to Manila . You would want to have booking on ferry to Manila so you dont miss flight home . I dont know if ferry to Manila takes bikes but the others do no problem. The one thing that concerns me is that you will be running mostly on main roads and miss the real Philippines in the country. I would like to suggest maybe a coastal ride around northern Luzon might be easier with the limited amount of time you have. Another good source of info is Lonely Planet Thorn Tree Forum . I get a lot of info off there .

Hi Toddy and welcome back ... You make a lot of good points on traveling here.

ESP moving that bike from Cebu City back to Manila ... We moved our bikes the opposite direction without problems ... That was ~3 yrs ago ... Nothing says its still applies today. And this was on a true super ferry ship, the HUGE ships so you should schedule these events in advance. The smaller RoRo ports are usually just drive up and see what is happening ... If the weather is good and the coast guard allows sailing, a small wait of a few hrs up to ~24 hrs should be the only issue. You should always leave plenty of extra time for all these RoRo crossings as many things can happen...

That jump from Luzon to Samar should be good as it is a major connection route between the islands. But still, this is 3rd world here and crap happens. As stated, leave ample time for your trip or you might hits snags.

Heading north on Luzon might be the safest and best idea as you will not have to deal with all the traffic heading south from Manila ... No RoRo scheduling problems either. Its all the Philippines once you arrive :)

If I was gonna tour multiple islands, I'd say land on Cebu at Mactan ... You have many many islands to float across to see with Cebu as the starting point and can be linked. It leaves the option of heading north to Manila open also. Not that you have to go that far, but it is an option.
__________________
See the providence of Cebu in the Philippines by Motorcycle
Motorcycles and tours available daily
Contact TXCRLB@gmail.com for details
250txc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:45 PM   #6
hondav2
Kiwi Fukengruver
 
hondav2's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: New Zealand , Fiordland
Oddometer: 1,349
Wicked Hi Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250txc View Post
Hi Toddy and welcome back ... You make a lot of good points on traveling here.

ESP moving that bike from Cebu City back to Manila ... We moved our bikes the opposite direction without problems ... That was ~3 yrs ago ... Nothing says its still applies today. And this was on a true super ferry ship, the HUGE ships so you should schedule these events in advance. The smaller RoRo ports are usually just drive up and see what is happening ... If the weather is good and the coast guard allows sailing, a small wait of a few hrs up to ~24 hrs should be the only issue. You should always leave plenty of extra time for all these RoRo crossings as many things can happen...

That jump from Luzon to Samar should be good as it is a major connection route between the islands. But still, this is 3rd world here and crap happens. As stated, leave ample time for your trip or you might hits snags

Heading north on Luzon might be the safest and best idea as you will not have to deal with all the traffic heading south from Manila ... No RoRo scheduling problems either. Its all the Philippines once you arrive :)

If I was gonna tour multiple islands, I'd say land on Cebu at Mactan ... You have many many islands to float across to see with Cebu as the starting point and can be linked. It leaves the option of heading north to Manila open also. Not that you have to go that far, but it is an option.
Hi Ray , hows the Husky going , im just getting my bikes ready to leave them , depart here next monday and should be at cebu 4am on wednesday and hopefully on ferry to samar that evening if all goes to plan . Hope to check out Palawan this trip but will be based mainly at Bantayan . Would be good to catch up again . Cheers Toddy
__________________
North American Ride Sponsers
www.alaskaleather.com
Big Johnson Motors Tok Alaska
Abbey Autos Wasilla Alaska
Photos www.toddy.smugmug.com
Starting smugmug gallery use this for discount yPcvMhjigUORk
2001 DR650 110,000 km
2003 Heritage Classic
2004 CBR1000RR
2007 KTM950R Super Enduro
2007 1200GS
2008 Hypermotard S
hondav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:01 PM   #7
250txc
250TXC
 
250txc's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Cebu Philippines
Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondav2 View Post
Hi Ray , hows the Husky going , im just getting my bikes ready to leave them , depart here next monday and should be at cebu 4am on wednesday and hopefully on ferry to samar that evening if all goes to plan . Hope to check out Palawan this trip but will be based mainly at Bantayan . Would be good to catch up again . Cheers Toddy
Sounds good but leaving the bikes might be a little of a downer ... My Huskies are going ok except for the worn out rear tires :(...

I've only heard good things on Palawan and there is a MX track over there that has a ~40 rider gate and it is on natural terrain ... It might be worth a visit ..

You are riding a boat from the Cebu city area to get to Samar or something a little further north in my neck of the woods?

Maybe we can have a beer ... No promises as my multi-cab is really getting in bad shape ... It is still legal but wheels are falling off type bad ...
__________________
See the providence of Cebu in the Philippines by Motorcycle
Motorcycles and tours available daily
Contact TXCRLB@gmail.com for details
250txc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:24 AM   #8
hondav2
Kiwi Fukengruver
 
hondav2's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: New Zealand , Fiordland
Oddometer: 1,349
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250txc View Post
Sounds good but leaving the bikes might be a little of a downer ... My Huskies are going ok except for the worn out rear tires :(...

I've only heard good things on Palawan and there is a MX track over there that has a ~40 rider gate and it is on natural terrain ... It might be worth a visit ..

You are riding a boat from the Cebu city area to get to Samar or something a little further north in my neck of the woods?

Maybe we can have a beer ... No promises as my multi-cab is really getting in bad shape ... It is still legal but wheels are falling off type bad ...
7pm Cebu to Calbayog. It will be Holy week so hopefully I can get on it that day or its either bus from Cebu to Tacloban or Ferry then 3 bus rides to Allen .Is your phone No still the same , I will txt you when Im at MBs with some spare time or you might like to come up to Bantayan with your lady .
__________________
North American Ride Sponsers
www.alaskaleather.com
Big Johnson Motors Tok Alaska
Abbey Autos Wasilla Alaska
Photos www.toddy.smugmug.com
Starting smugmug gallery use this for discount yPcvMhjigUORk
2001 DR650 110,000 km
2003 Heritage Classic
2004 CBR1000RR
2007 KTM950R Super Enduro
2007 1200GS
2008 Hypermotard S
hondav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:16 AM   #9
250txc
250TXC
 
250txc's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Cebu Philippines
Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondav2 View Post
7pm Cebu to Calbayog. It will be Holy week so hopefully I can get on it that day or its either bus from Cebu to Tacloban or Ferry then 3 bus rides to Allen .Is your phone No still the same , I will txt you when Im at MBs with some spare time or you might like to come up to Bantayan with your lady .
Holy week will certainly cause lots more crowding for sure on the boats and buses ... Good luck getting there

639288701842 -- SmartBro -- shoot me a message or email and I found a couple more usa guys I'll try to bring with me .... They need to step out some I think... And they got a good 4-door car :)

I found this small map ...It looks pretty close to your travel plans ...


And it shows the close proximity of the islands down on this south side as compared to the huge land mass of the Luzon area...

You can jump from the Calbayog Samar area over to Masbate island and land there on the east side leg maybe at Cataingan? ... From the east side of the island, you can jump back to the northern tip of Cebu just north of Bogo OR go around by Masbate City, see that giant hole called a gold mine, to the west side in the Balud area and jump over to the Roxas City area on Pinay (Iloilo island) ...

Masbate is primitive and isolated and does have some ~good coastal stuff on the west side .... Down and dirty over there. There is even an island off the western side that only gets boats ~twice a week ... We landed there on our way to Masbate once ... They even need bamboo shipped in because that small island does not get enough rain to grow bamboo ...

From Roxas on Pinay island (Iloilo), go straight south to the Dumangas port for travel back to Bacolod on Negros on the west side ... Or go over on the west side in Antique providence and see miles of white sand costal roads... There are airports up there also ...

Get over on the east side of Negros towards Cebu, and from the top to the bottom of this entire seaboard, you can hop back over to Cebu at least 3-4 ports ... Some of the commercial ports run 24\7\365 ...with a low price.

It needs to be verified but I've done this entire route a couple yrs back and only Masbate might be a question mark ... Cebu, Negros, Pinay ports should all be stable ..

I thought about moving off Cebu but its too centrally located, misses most bad weather and has the best dirt bike riding I've found here. All islands are good but Cebu is the place for what I do and it has the dirt bike racing also.
Attached Images
 
__________________
See the providence of Cebu in the Philippines by Motorcycle
Motorcycles and tours available daily
Contact TXCRLB@gmail.com for details
250txc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:38 PM   #10
hondav2
Kiwi Fukengruver
 
hondav2's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: New Zealand , Fiordland
Oddometer: 1,349
Laugh Hi Ray

Last year we tried out the 2 x Roros from Bogo to Masbate ,1st to Cawyan , van to Masbate City , pump boat to Ticao Island , motorbike across island to San Fernando then another pump boat to Bulan on Luzon , tricycle to Matnog , ferry to Allen , tricycle to Lavazares and small boat to Biri Island .
2nd time we went Bogo to Cataingan on Masbate stayed night and caught pump boat to Calbayog , thats when the fun started , ran into massive storm 30mins before beaching , then because of heavy rain had to take only multi cab south ( we wanted to go north )to Calbayog , it boiled , seized motor , after it cooled down it went again then we caught van and passed where we got off boat 2 hrs later . We could do that trip in 1 day but it took 2 and half days . Its more fun in the Phills a . I think there is pics of those trips in Philippines Adventure Rides Just checked have a look at pages 78, 79, 82. Have you been down to Camiguin Island . Beautifull there .
__________________
North American Ride Sponsers
www.alaskaleather.com
Big Johnson Motors Tok Alaska
Abbey Autos Wasilla Alaska
Photos www.toddy.smugmug.com
Starting smugmug gallery use this for discount yPcvMhjigUORk
2001 DR650 110,000 km
2003 Heritage Classic
2004 CBR1000RR
2007 KTM950R Super Enduro
2007 1200GS
2008 Hypermotard S

hondav2 screwed with this post 04-08-2014 at 04:51 PM
hondav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014