User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2006, 05:18 PM   #1
F=ma OP
Deceleration is Dangerous

Oddometer: 63
Dakar Rally Costs / World Trip Costs

I'm looking for links concerning cost estimates of the Dakar Rally as well as companies like "Rally Raid UK" that offer support. Anyone got the links?

As a second topic, how bout links to companies that offer, 'round the world tours'?

Thanks
F=ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 05:54 PM   #2
Icewalker
Conundrum

Oddometer: 42,690
No idea about the round the world tours but here's the link to Rally Raid UK

http://uni.atomwide.com/GroupHomepage.asp?GroupID=46

Nice folks - did the whole email thing with them for this years Dakar - keeping track on the progress of the freelanders.

BTW Cost is going to depend on what you want to do in the Dakar two wheels? Four wheels or More than four wheels.

I have nothing to base this on but I would have to hazard a guess that it would be in the $100k's to do a dakar. And a whole hell of a lot more than that to be actually competitive.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:27 PM   #3
lastplace
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 892
Here's what we can do for you in the Dakar:

Bike (new KTM 525) rally prepared and ready to race. Reliable and capable of getting on the podium at the end of stages. (are you?) Proven, comfortable, fast. We sell you a complete rally bike. Same kit as Jonah Street and Casey McCoy will ride for us in the 07 Dakar.

Shipping from the US to the start and back to the US afterwards.

Complete spares kit, including tires, mousse, air filters, etc.

Transportation of spares during the rally, including your wheels and tires in our 2 Ford F350 assistance vehicles.

Services of a qualified mechanic during the rally. Help of an entire team with more experience than most.

3 Days training in the desert in Southern California, on your rally bike. Navigation and dunes/sand riding and general rally strategy and what to expect as a privateer.

Advice from the most experienced American privateer team. We know how to budget!

Not included: Entry Fee (about 11,000 Euro), plane flights, hotels, visas, FIM license, insurance.

Total cost: $46,000. (Or, we can split it up: bike only, mechanic only, cargo space only, etc.) We'll update our website soon with details.

For 07, you'd better hurry though. Entries open on June 1 and bike entries will probably sell out that day. Entry deposit amount to the ASO is 3000 Euro per rider.

Contact me if you are seriously interested. We do a top-notch job and have a great crew. We really won't make much money on this, but we'd like to have a few more riders signed up to help share the cost of the second truck.

I used RRUK support in 04 and can honestly say that Paul and his crew did a wonderful job for me on that Dakar. Obviously, there are several good options.

fun fun
Charlie Rauseo
+1 415-710-9386
lastplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 07:45 PM   #4
mikekay
toiling midget

Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by F=ma
I'm looking for links concerning cost estimates of the Dakar Rally as well as companies like "Rally Raid UK" that offer support. Anyone got the links?

As a second topic, how bout links to companies that offer, 'round the world tours'?

Thanks
Heres a few ideas:

1) Take a look at Dakar.com -- most of the larger links for support, vehicle prep, etc. can be found.

2) Check my PM.

3) For $75K i'll take ya around the world. It would be my 6th 'lap'...

4) For $40k we can do London to Cape Town via the middle east-or the Dakar rally on a Husqvarna.
mikekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 07:52 PM   #5
Brigand
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Man, as far as Dakar and a real grassroots, do it it yourself and show them how it's done kinda thing, Charlie and the gang are the way to go. I don't know if you checked this thread as well:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137493

I understand KTM offers a similar program. This is assuming you're planning on doing it on a bike.
Brigand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 09:19 PM   #6
Icewalker
Conundrum

Oddometer: 42,690
Damn - $40k - $46K is a bargain. IMHO

Jeff
Old 05-15-2006, 09:43 PM   #7
Mike Werner
Cloggy amongst Frogs

Oddometer: 1,962
Yamaha do a similar job, all inclusive support job, bike included, buy or rent. They're hungry for more Y's in the race..

Yamaha Challenge Dakar

Motorcycles in the Movies
Daily Motorcycle News
Mike Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:03 PM   #8
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,766
I used Rally Raid UK this past year. They did well for us, though there were a number of weaknesses that could have easily gone real bad (the driver of the RRUK vehicle my mechanic was riding in quit in the middle of the race). There were some indications that RRUK may not support bikes for Dakar 2007, but you should talk to them directly to get a solid answer.

I was told by someone close to RRUK that if I were to do Dakar 2008, I might want to look into Keith Banyard, another British assistance team (phone number 0044 7818000931). He has two T5's and one T4 truck in the Dakar Rally each year. This last Dakar he carried for P.Quick, and the BMW gang from Britain.

I also used Charlie for several support functions, and all that went fine for us. He also has that great training thing going at Dumont Dunes.

As Mike Kay posted, he also has support options offered. I spent a day with him out at Dumont a week ago, and saw good things in the works.

Then there is James Embro (cell: 770-883-1533) from Georgia who rode (finished) last year, and will be providing support for Elmer Symons this year. He is offering support services similar to Charlie. Everything I’ve seen from James is 100% top notch. I think he might have a KTM available as well.

As Charlie pointed out, if you don’t have your Dakar entry in on the first day (June 1), you’ll probably be too late. And to be ready on race day, you should be well into your Dakar planning already!

Whichever “assistance” option you go for, I strongly suggest you have some form of written agreement that spells out in detail exactly what you are getting for your money, and what you are not getting. I made a few mistakes in this area, and almost got seriously screwed up by RRUK two days before the race. It’s all too easy to assume something is taken care of, then at the last minute you find out a really critical issue is not as you thought it was. Verbal agreements early in your planning can and will be forgotten or overlooked. Almost every American amateur Dakar competitor in the past two years, in their view, has been burned by this kind of thing one way or another.

Budgets, well it might cost you $100K if you include the bike, all the accessories, and a few race time luxuries, but if you keep things tight, you can get away with a fair amount less. Here are a few of the things for your budget (rough numbers), just to give you an idea on some of the things to consider. Many things are not shown here, so plan for MUCH more.

€ 3,500 Vehicle Tariff to ASO (GPS, Sentinel, IriTrack, Fuel, Boat Ticket to Africa).
€ 9,500 Entry Fee to ASO (Rider).
€ 8,200 Entry Fee to ASO (Mechanic).
€ ????? Supplies Transport (T5, $14/pound).
€ 6,000 Mechanic Seat in Truck (T5 or F350).
€ 600 Gas for bike in race.
€ 3,000 Shipping via boat, all fees (round trip SF-LIS, France-SF).
€ 1,200 Visas, 3 countries, 200€ each, x2 people.
€ 1,500 Airline Tickets LAX-LIS, Dakar-LIS-LAX (Rider).
€ 1,500 Airline Tickets LAX-LIS, Dakar-LIS-LAX (Mechanic).
€ 1,000 Hotel, 1 room, 10 days, $100/day (might be 75% less if Nomads of Portugal get same deal as 2006).
€ 800 Food (15 days mainly Portugal, $30/day/person, 2 people).
€ 850 Rental Car (10 days Portugal, 85€/day).
€ 1,000 Satellite Phone x2 (Rider, Mechanic).

Good luck!
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 06:56 AM   #9
bugfnnuts
Somewhat Regrouped

Oddometer: 956
Listen to what the guys above have said. I am working with Charlie on getting to my first Dakar and believe me. There are some challenges in just taking the first steps. Budget wise Charlie has a real good package from the research I have done. Any way you go it is not going to be CHEAP.

My attitude is to not reinvent the wheel. Go with someone who has been there, get money, ask a lot of questions, get money, ask more questions, get money, start planning early (we started in December), get money, KISS, get money, start physical training as soon as possible, get money.....you get the picture.

What I have seen so far shows that a budget of 50-100k can do it. Depends on how much you want. Mechanic? New tires everyday? Spare motor? How many misc spares? You can have it all, just bring the ole check book.

But that's racing now isn't it?
bugfnnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 07:12 AM   #10
AntWare
Lost In Translation

Oddometer: 16,483
Not The Dakar, and not RTW...but for a good compromise do a search for Nick Sanders (LINK)
stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth.
Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home,
nothing more than an embarrasment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself.
Choose your future. Choose life.
I chose not to choose life, I chose something else instead.
AntWare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 01:29 PM   #11
PPiA
Pete

Oddometer: 1,182
Entry fee this year is 3,500 for the bike and 10,000 for the rider, so 13,500 euros.
I'm probably putting my next one off until 2008, but for reference Charlie, what would you charge for support, as in the services of a mechanic? I'd ride my 660 and can buy the KTM support, so there'd be no need for you to carry much in the way of spares. I'd just want to hand the bike over to someone when I come in, so I can get more sleep!
This idea of doing my own service work sucked...
PPiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 05:30 PM   #12
lastplace
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 892
Hi Pete,

For 07 Dakar:

Mechanical support: $9500. This includes: services of an experienced mechanic who knows your bike, and will be servicing 2 bikes maximum. Transport of mechanic and tools in one of our Ford trucks. Services of team, who will set up and take down your tent, fetch and deliver your airplane box, and generally help you out. We pay all of mechanic's entry fee, travel costs, hotels, etc., and all truck expenses.

Seat in the Truck: $7500. This includes: one seat space in one of our Ford trucks for your mechanic from Lisbon to Dakar, plus 50lbs of cargo space for his gear and tools. Nothing else. You pay mechanic's entry fee and expenses. We pay all truck expenses.

Both options include use of our compressor, generator, lights, ground covering, and share of large speciality tools.

Extra cargo space: $15 per pound. (I just love quoting that to Europeans because I get so confused by Euros and kilos.)

Probably cheaper ways to do it, I'm sure. But, this will barely cover the cost of getting through this adventure. For 08 prices, let's just wait and see where the cost of deisel and shipping goes!

Oh what fun we'll have!

Charlie Rauseo
415-710-9386
Attached Images

lastplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 08:15 PM   #13
F=ma OP
Deceleration is Dangerous

Oddometer: 63
KTM Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand
Man, as far as Dakar and a real grassroots, do it it yourself and show them how it's done kinda thing, Charlie and the gang are the way to go. I don't know if you checked this thread as well:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137493

I understand KTM offers a similar program. This is assuming you're planning on doing it on a bike.
Anyone have any information on the KTM package? Is is priced anywhere near the Yamaha package?
F=ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 09:19 PM   #14
mikekay
toiling midget

Oddometer: 228
depending on exchagne rates the KTM package is about $25k--thats the bike and spares and 'some' mechanical help-its actually not a bad deal if ya take a close look at it. Add $13k+ for entry and another $7k minimum for travel, hotels, gear, shipping the bike back, insurance, and misc.
mikekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 12:54 AM   #15
PPiA
Pete

Oddometer: 1,182
Charlie,
You know what?
Assuming that;
  • You go again and have the same offer of a mechanic available in 2008
  • Your prices are similar to 2007
  • the exchange rate doesn't do some weird shit to blow me out of the water
  • Iran doesn't go nuclear when you guys send the troops in
then I'd like to put my name down for the $9500 option for 2008.
Your pricing is pretty much bang on what I've been quoted here (7500euros) for sharing a mechanic over two bikes, and I was quoted around 20-25 euros/kilo. You're a bit over that depending whether you use Avoir or Troy pounds but the advantage of being with someone I *know* is definitely worth that bit extra for me.
PPiA is offline   Reply With Quote