Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2012, 02:51 PM   #136
Hewby OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuateRider View Post
Wrong , I will be back in Guatemala because my sons are flying in

BTW , Suchitoto is my favorite place in El Salvador .

Keep on smiling and ride safe !
Enjoy your Christmas. The hike to mirador with your sons should be awesome. I am spending Christmas in the states. The luxury of flying in and out of Bogota to be with loved ones. My heart strings are pulled on this trip and so I feel the need to keep moving as my destination, and a new adventure of life become more clear - she says feet up in a hammock ;)
Old 11-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #137
rtwpaul
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by marior97 View Post
Hola Debbie, thanks for the kind words of our small country ! great pictures !
Glad you enjoyed the ferry trip and ride from Suchitoto north to La Palma, sorry about border crossing time.
Crossing from Nicaragua to Costa Rica at Penas Blancas will also take you some time, patience.
Keep on riding safe, following your cool RR
debbie check my RR i put some detailed info for the Nica/ CR penas blancas border exact way and lots of detailed photos...and i got thru in one hour 20 minutes for both side

see you on the rat i hear dec 8
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:17 PM   #138
Hewby OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the information on the border RTWPPaul see you on the 8th!
Old 11-28-2012, 04:42 PM   #139
Hewby OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I had heard the roads around Gracias were poor, and I wondered what all the fuss was about, but after almost hitting the town of la Esperanza the road tured to dirt. My path then took me down towards the town of Marcala, and asking the locals on the condition of the road they said I could make it if I went slowly. On my map it was the main route in the area, so I was cautious of heading in a different direction.

The road was in pretty poor condition, dirt and huge rocks the whole way. I was very thankful that the rain from the night before had not turned the road to mud, for then it would have been a major challenge. It looked like this road often turned into a river.

P1010786
P1010789

The lonely planet had stated this road was bad three years ago. I wonder what the two towns had done to someone in the road building department to have access this bad for so long.
P1010798
But after Marcala the road improves. I stop for lunch at a delicious road side stop, and the locals check out my bike.

IMG_3558

IMG_3556

IMG_3557

By sunset I make my way to the sketchy almost border town of Denali. I have no Internet again, and walking the streets the town seems not really a place I want to pull out my phone to check for some. I visited all the hotels in town on the way in and only one offered it, but they asking 5 times as much as others for a room, so such is life.

Walking this town looking for food was a short affair. The streets have a strange feeling to them. The shops are set up with floor to ceiling barriers between the people and the goods. Armed guards unlock the door to let you in to fast food places. I walk past some delicious smelling street food. Marinated meat and salad. It taste amazing with a Moroccan spice flair to the marinade. There is a guy passed out on the footpath beside the grill. This is not a town I want to walk the streets of in the darkness much. With a satisfied full belly I walk back to the hotel and get ready for what I hope will be an early start.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:38 PM   #140
Astir
Adventuress

Oddometer: 195
Thoroughly enjoying your report Hewby. Thank you for taking the time to share it with us.
Astir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:37 PM   #141
Hewby OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ok. I know that I am totally behind in my report. I will get to it i promise. But I know many are wondering whats happening...yes I have made it to Columbia 5 days ago, but today just to add to all the ride report mishaps of Latin America lately, I hit a car that pulled to the other side of the empty road while I was passing it at 100km an hour and took a tumble. Bike is No longer rideable with broken forks and fork brace

But the police have gone beyond the call of duty and taken me in for the night, fed me, and are helping me sort my options for the morning. Amazing.

Thankfully was wearing all my gear so just bruised and sore.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:53 PM   #142
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,017
Yikes!!! glad you are OK ... bikes can be fixed
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:25 PM   #143
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,628
That is a darn shame but you look to be in good shape in the photo. Good vibes your way.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:33 PM   #144
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
The Angels are riding with you for sure! So glad you are OK.

Since the cops are helping out ... did they get hold of the person who cut you off ? They should pay for all damages.

I''d bet you can get on line and find a whole new front end. Maybe cops have some connections to helping you get them imported to Colombia without having to pay outrageous duty? Just a thought. Lots of parts around for your bike. I'm sure the BMW crew here and on Chain Gang could help out.

Good luck ... Hope your Lucky Stars and Nine Lives continue watching over you ... and don't forget to thank the Fairies at the bridges.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:05 AM   #145
JDowns
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,546
Sorry to hear about the biff. Glad you bounce well and are okay. Heard you Tassies were tough.

Seems like perfect timing if you are headed stateside for the holidays.

Depending on if you've been naughty or nice, maybe Santa will bring a good set of front forks for Xmas that you can take back to Colombia.

Met Jean Luc, Julio and Luisa up here in Guat yesterday. Quite nice folks. I'll be in Colombia after the first of the year. Have experience replacing BMW front ends. If I can be of any assistance let me know.

Kindest regards,
John Downs
Old 12-17-2012, 03:40 AM   #146
Hewby OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
The Angels are riding with you for sure! So glad you are OK.

Since the cops are helping out ... did they get hold of the person who cut you off ? They should pay for all damages.

I''d bet you can get on line and find a whole new front end. Maybe cops have some connections to helping you get them imported to Colombia without having to pay outrageous duty? Just a thought. Lots of parts around for your bike. I'm sure the BMW crew here and on Chain Gang could help out.

Good luck ... Hope your Lucky Stars and Nine Lives continue watching over you ... and don't forget to thank the Fairies at the bridges.
Thanks you bring a smile to my face remembering thanking the little people as I crossed the fairy bridge each day on the Isle of Man for 3 months! Love it. And they have been looking after me for sure!

Lots of people around saw it and called the cops for me but we don't have the person. They did a runner.

Hoping to get hold of what I need second hand in the states and bring it back Maybe stashed in a backpack so no duty??? Lets hope.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:42 AM   #147
Hewby OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Sorry to hear about the biff. Glad you bounce well and are okay. Heard you Tassies were tough.

Seems like perfect timing if you are headed stateside for the holidays.

Depending on if you've been naughty or nice, maybe Santa will bring a good set of front forks for Xmas that you can take back to Colombia.

Met Jean Luc, Julio and Luisa up here in Guat yesterday. Quite nice folks. I'll be in Colombia after the first of the year. Have experience replacing BMW front ends. If I can be of any assistance let me know.

Kindest regards,
John Downs
Thanks John, ah say hi to the lovely folks in guate city! Wonderful people. I will see how this one rolls and let you know!
Old 12-17-2012, 03:50 AM   #148
GuateRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,363
Hola Deb,
so sorry to hear about your crash ! But like I told you once, the lucky stars keep on shining on you , and you are OK.
Your visit up north should be a good break after this and fill your tank with new energy .
Suerte mi amiga !
Old 12-17-2012, 03:57 AM   #149
Hewby OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuateRider View Post
Hola Deb,
so sorry to hear about your crash ! But like I told you once, the lucky stars keep on shining on you , and you are OK.
Your visit up north should be a good break after this and fill your tank with new energy .
Suerte mi amiga !
Hola Julio! Yep. Seriously lucky. And getting the low down on a Columbian Police station life while I am at it! Feel like I am in a reality tv show! ;) brilliant!

Send hugs to Petra for me!
Old 12-17-2012, 06:14 AM   #150
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 805
Deb, you're OK and managed to turn disaster into adventure and you've enlivened the story all the more with this tumble. Santa and the elves will get the bike fixed. Enjoy your Christmas up north. The drillers are leaving for 15 days but back again until marzo.

Lynn and I are thinking of you

Abrazos!
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote