Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2013, 02:10 PM   #316
Tex76
Motersykle Advntyers

Oddometer: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewby View Post
Cheers Tex76. I used to only remember my travels through photos, they are what brings it all back for me. Glad you like them.
I'm the same way, That's why I document so carefully. One picture can bring back a flood of memories and feelings. Thanks for sharing your journey with us.
The Lost Texan, Wanders East
Tex76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:46 PM   #317
Hewby OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Carnival has taken over the whole of Bolivia, it seems to open up the hearts of the local people who are generally shy and reserved. As I ride down towards the town of Uyuni I pass a parade of people I the middle of an empty open road. Slowing down to a crawl, I inch my way through the crowds. The people stop me to shake my hand and fill my pockets with Coca leaves.

GOPR3888

coming down over the hills I get my first glimpse of the Salar from the road giving me just a taste of things to come.
DSC02169
DSC02170
Finding the hotel where I meet Alison is a task, but finally I find the place in the late evening and we plan our next move.

The morning brings sunshine and while working on the bikes in the courtyard of the hotel, the townsfolk pour in the garage gate, heralded by a fanfare of brass bands. Dancers swirl around the cars and the bikes.

GOPR3915

DSC02179

We are greeted with streamers wrapped in blessing around our necks, around our bikes, and in the perpetually drought stricken town, around the water taps.

DSC02177

My hand is taken by a stranger, and I am whisked away by the dancers, out the gate and down the street, dancing and blessing the townsfolk as we go.

GOPR3903

GOPR3917

GOPR3947

GOPR3935

people hanging out the windows as we walked by

GOPR3960

Each place we stopped the ground was blessed by pouring of alcohol for 'Pachamumma" and for good luck and prosperity.

GOPR3983

I was lucky to have the discrete go pro in my hand to record the event. One of the only times I had felt really welcomed in Bolivia.

GOPR3992

GOPR3968

GOPR3979
Old 04-23-2013, 06:22 AM   #318
Hewby OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The Salar is calling, one of the places I had been longing to go in Bolivia was now in flood. My plans of riding over the white flat salt plains and down through the moonscapes to the langunas was slightly thwarted by the fact that the Salar lay under a sheet of water. Still beautiful I had heard, I wanted to head out there for sunset to see the world reflected in the glassy flats.

Heading off with Alison and some other riders from the hotel, I lead the way through the dusty town, riding the ruts of the unpaved streets. Ahead I see a puddle, “it is in town” I think, “how bad can it be?” I stand up on my pegs and head straight into the brown murky water that spans the “urban road”. My bike drops and disappears down the lip of the hole in the road. My feet no longer have pegs to stand on and I fall forward on the bike. I hear a crack as I fall with my bike into the man-eating pool of water. My nose bursting with pain. Blood streams all around me. The muddy pools turning a bright rusty red. My face awash with blood. The others run to me and pick up the bike and my strewn possessions littering the grimy ground. Everything I have is covered in mud, it seeps into the empty painners, it washes my first aid kit in a pool of brown grime. I wash the blood from my face with muddy water. Gingerly touching my nose, which thankfully is not broken, merely sliced along the lips of my nostrils. My face shield was open, but lucky for me my chin bar was down, blocking the ferocity of the fall. My windscreen is once again lying broken on the ground. It seems windscreen and I are not having a good luck these days….

IMG_4186

Gingerly putting my bike back together and storing the broken parts of my bike, I get back on, and ride the gravel road towards the Salar. The ruts are huge and my confidence is down. Alison and I are left in a pool of dust by the others, and we slowly head toward the wonders of the salt flats.
DSC02207

The views are incredible, but as we get closer and I stop for photos my bike decides to pack it in and not start again. It seems there is something wrong with the stater button but I can fix it out here. I get a push start to get closer to the water, but refrain from taking the bike in.
DSC02208

DSC02210

DSC02216

DSC02225

DSC02228

DSC02233

DSC02246

DSC02248

After the beautiful sunset the stars come out and we look to go back to the hotel. Alison’s bike decides it don’t want to start either so we push start them both and head off into the darkness, back to the hotel to give the bikes a wash down.
DSC02297

DSC02300

Hewby screwed with this post 04-23-2013 at 06:39 AM
Hewby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:26 AM   #319
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 10,206
love the new pics!!!
Old 04-24-2013, 09:47 AM   #320
Plasterman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
I think I'm in love with you.......
Plasterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:08 AM   #321
bESS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Oh Hewby:

my heart sagged as I read your words and saw your bloodied nose.

You are so brave . . . take care

bob

current RR --> click here
bESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:07 AM   #322
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,147
Ouch! I pretty much did the same thing in Mongolia when I went wide on a switchback-splattered blood under the visor of my MX helmet. I was able to laugh by the end of the day hahaha.

Good on ya for keeping on
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:58 PM   #323
Hewby OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasterman View Post
I think I'm in love with you.......
Thanks for the thought Tom and I am taking the admiration as a compliment. But am I right in thinking this comes from your nervousness of the solo trip your are planning to commence. Do it. Solo travel is amazing. The world opens up, and the fear of leaving alone melts away. I remember the first few weeks where I just couldn't leave. 'Tomorrow' was always the word said after it became ' too late (again) to leave today'. Enjoy your planning and the freedom that ensues as you let your heart go, load the bike, point south and turn the throttle!
Old 04-24-2013, 02:59 PM   #324
operaflute
Starving Artist

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
. Solo travel is amazing.
Yes.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:01 PM   #325
huzar
Pastor of Muppets

Oddometer: 2,059
Quote:
Thanks for the thought Tom and I am taking the admiration as a compliment. But am I right in thinking this comes from your nervousness of the solo trip your are planning to commence. Do it. Solo travel is amazing. The world opens up, and the fear of leaving alone melts away. I remember the first few weeks where I just couldn't leave. 'Tomorrow' was always the word said after it became ' too late (again) to leave today'. Enjoy your planning and the freedom that ensues as you let your heart go, load the bike, point south and turn the throttle!
And post a ride report here
huzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:02 PM   #326
Hewby OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bESS View Post
Oh Hewby:

my heart sagged as I read your words and saw your bloodied nose.

You are so brave . . . take care

bob
Thanks Bob. That bike and I had some adventures. But in the end we got through it all together in one piece.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #327
Hewby OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
Ouch! I pretty much did the same thing in Mongolia when I went wide on a switchback-splattered blood under the visor of my MX helmet. I was able to laugh by the end of the day hahaha.

Good on ya for keeping on
Yeah. It's a lot harder to laugh when the blood is still flowing!
Old 04-24-2013, 04:19 PM   #328
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,147
I hear you there, this was a couple of hours later
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:45 PM   #329
Hewby OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I have been to the gobi desert with some herders for a bit and through Mongolia but that was before I was into motorbikes. Looks like a right crack to your nose there.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:02 PM   #330
huzar
Pastor of Muppets

Oddometer: 2,059
Quote:
I have been to the gobi desert with some herders for a bit and through Mongolia but that was before I was into motorbikes. Looks like a right crack to your nose there.
Sounds like you need to revisit Mongolia, maybe on a motorcycle this time
huzar is offline   Reply With Quote